Computer in car?

Username: Miami_chico

Post Number: 1
hvae you guys heard of installin a computer in the car is it worth it?...know where i can get everythin w. the monitor............anyone how i can connect my laptop to my car's system n control da system throw the laptop???

Bronze Member
Username: Shouder

Wisconsin

Post Number: 85
I have heard of installing a computer in the car. Except its not really worth anything but the shock value. Its just like have a computer except in your car. You could hook it up to your stero, and play music from it. And if you really knew what you were doing hook it up to your car ecu and run real time dionostics. but other than that, not too much. It would cost quite a bit of money to really get it intragrated and installed with your car, so i would recomend against it.

Silver Member
Username: Ps1k0

Post Number: 147
i want to put a computer in my car so i can play Star Craft where ever i am.
yeah, it's an old game, but it's still great

Username: Smith_erick

Greensboro, NC

Post Number: 1
I am putting a computer in my car for my senior project..... But a good in car computer is Drive Soft.

Bronze Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 48
To put one in, all you need is a power invertor and somewhere to put all the components. If your HU had inputs, you can easily hook it up and play off any player and have the sound come through the car speakers. This might give you some ideas:

Car PC

Username: Hittmann

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 7
Yeah all you would need is around a 300w inverter a 3.5mm stereo to rca connector for the back of the pc sound output. rca cable from computer to fm modulator (or rca inputs on HU) then just tune in stereo or switch to aux input and you have sound from the computer through the car stereo. Connection from VGA to RCA video for a in car TFT/LCD may be harder though i'm not too sure if the computer would display if you had tv-out only connected.

Jer113
Unregistered guest
This is something i have been trying to do recently. I have an OLD Dell computer and I bought a power inverter DC - AC. I have a Soundcard now I have a way to install the Stereo Reciver to the Soundcard directly but I have not tried and Im not sure it would work. Anyone have a better idea?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 164
Starcraft is the bomb.

Bronze Member
Username: Hittmann

Adelaide, South Australia Australia

Post Number: 34
All you need to connect the card to the car is a 3.5mm to rca connector and an fm modulator. then you set the modulator frequency and then tune in to it on the HU, and you have sound.

Username: Pricey1985

Sydney, NSW Australia

Post Number: 9
Hey All,
What im thinking of doing it building a computer and putting it in my car in which i can store thousands of songs on the hard drive. Has anyone done this and if so what is the sound quality, do you need a high quality sound card or does the average one work ok. I will be running the audio from the computer in to several amps. Any Suggestions would be Appreciated......Cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Capulina6

Post Number: 61
i thought about this too, but the only reason i decided not too is i realized how long it would take for the computer to start up and shut down each time. i was planning on running iTunes to a touchscreen in the front. if you think about it, to safely run your computer it takes about 3 min to start up and a few more to shut down. youd have to shut down before you arrive at your destination. i live in a small town, so no trip is over 10 min.

Bronze Member
Username: Capulina6

Post Number: 62
forgot to mention...

its a good idea though, you can run mp3s, gps navigation, dvds, cds, and any other media you could think of.

pricey1985@hotmail.com
Unregistered guest
I never thought about the start up and shut down times. Yes that would be a pain on short trips or when you are in a hurry and stuff

PRICEY1985

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
www.xenarcdirect.com

satty
Unregistered guest
lol

www.mini-itx.com

u can have a special pc confieged just for a car!!!

u can even program it, so the pc comes alive as soon as u unlock ur car alarm!!!

mini-itx the way to go!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us