Jonothan -New speakers.. soundstage question

Bronze Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 99
im running type s coaxials, 5x7 in back 6 1/2 in doors and 3 1/2 in dash right now, but i plan on upgrading to some good speakers soon. ive seen some posting especially jonothan saying rear speakers are uneccessary.. it is an 88 mustang hatchback not all that big so is it worth getting speakers to fill the rear?.. i was looking to get type X speakers and itd be nice to buy just one set since there kind of expensive. i really want some good sq out of my system when i finish. thx

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2981
It's all personal preference. You don't need rear speakers to accomplish optimum SQ, and more often than not, rear speakers hurt SQ more than help it. They are not necessary, but if you decide to add them, use only midbass drivers and use a bandpass filter on them. Best thing to do is spend your money on good quality speakers up front, and a good amp, AND invest the time to install it properly. Usually people choose rear fill because they think the fronts don't give them enough midbass. If people invested that money and time into doing a better installation and sound deadening up front, then they'd get even better results than just adding some 6x9s in the back (or something similar).

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 101
sorry im still learning this stuff a bit..
midbass would be created by say the woofer of a component speaker? and what is a bandpass filter?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2985
"midbass would be created by say the woofer of a component speaker?"
Yep, you can buy them individually.

"and what is a bandpass filter?"
It allows a certain band of frequencies to pass through, it combines a low pass and a high pass filter to the speaker. In the case of rear fill, somewhere around a 200hz high pass combined with a 3khz low pass works well.

Silver Member

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 106
thanks
i didnt know u could by them seperatly ..
im doing an all alpine setup tho so il prolly have to buy the whole thing but could i connect only the midbass woofer in the back and just leave the tweeter out ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us