Amp wiring help please.

Username: Comosaydice

Post Number: 1
Alright, I have a MTX 451 amp, and a Jensen 720 amp. I am trying to power 2 cheap pioneer 12" subs, I believe they are 4ohm 150watt RMS and 600 max power each. I bought the MTX amp first, and it gave a little power, very little power. I went online, bought a Jensen 720 amp, powered on, but didn't put any power to the speakers.

I don't know exactly how they are supposed to be wired up and I have been trying to understand the bridging thing, the jensen amp is a 720 bridgeable, what does this mean? any wiring diagrams for wiring up two speakers to an amp like this would be very helpfull, thanks a ton-Chris

Post Number: 2
http://caraudiomag.com/testreports/0210cae_jensen05.jpg

gives a good image of the amp input/output junk

Post Number: 3
http://caraudiomag.com/testreports/0210cae_jensen05_zoom.jpg
http://caraudiomag.com/testreports/0210cae_jensen06_zoom.jpg
oops, these are links i meant to use

Bronze Member
Username: Sparkey2027

Barnstaple, England England

Post Number: 31
basically you take the positive from one channel and the negative from the othe channel and you use those 2 to power your subs. it is usally written in the instruction manual or on the amp itself which 2 channel to bridge

Post Number: 4
it has
______
|---------|
R+ R- L- L+

on it, right now I just have the right pos of speaker going to right pos of amp terminal, right neg right neg, left neg to left neg and left pos 2 left pos...so should I be putting the posetive right with the negative left and then the negative right with the posetive left?

Post Number: 5
arg, ive been reading and reading, and searching, still not finding any diagrams...all ive gotten is that it needs to be bridged to 4 ohms...both speakers are 4 ohms so i think this should be fine...=/ i want a picture....

Post Number: 6
anyone...anyone?
bueler....bueler....

Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 2
Are you trying to hook one sub to each amp or both subs to both amp. If you hook two 4 ohms sub up it will drop the ohms from 4 down to 2. When you bridge the amp you are running both channels into one. Most amps are not 2 ohms stable in the bridged mode.

Post Number: 7
I really just want to use one amp and thought that since the jensen one is two channel it would work fine, I am really knew to all of this, I've installed 2 cd players, and new 4x6 and 6x9's in both my cars...but I cannot get the subs to work at all. I don't think I did anything with bridging them, but was wondering if I needed too.

Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 3
I guess your subs are 4ohms if so. There are a few ways you could hook it up.

1. Pick one amp to use and hook one sub to each channel. That will give you 4 ohms to each channel.

2. Hook one amp up and run both subs on one channel this will drop the ohms down to 2 ohms.( not in the bridged mode) Most amps are not 2 ohms stable in the bridged mode. Just hook it to the left or right channel. So you are really using just one channel of the amp. This way will put out more watts from just one side than number 1 will with both sides.

3. Hook one amp up and bridge it. This will give you the most watts you can get from the amp. Only hook one sub up in the bridged mode or you may fry your amp.

Upload

You can hook both amps up at the same time but that's too much to go into.

Post Number: 8
hmm...that helps me, so I should just have it hooked up like I do one sub to each channel, putting both subs on one channel bridged would make the 2 subs 2 ohm, and hooking up one sub to the two bridged channels would give a bit too much power for just one sub.
I'm gonna guess that either both amps, or the subs r junk then. What I get for buying cheap used ones on ebay, but still I didn't think it could be both subs, and the first amp (the MTX made some noise, just not much, the other made none) could it also be the cd player?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us