Sound Problems With New Head Unit

Username: Kwbrunz

Post Number: 1
I just installed a new Kenwood KDC-X679 head unit but the problem is that when the volume is all the way down, I can hear sound from my speakers. I have tried both front and rear RCA outputs and still the same problem. I have 2 amps (1 on the subs & the other on high-end) and the sound is coming from ALL speakers...subs, mids, tweets. I have replaced the ground wire to the head unit and still the same. Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Xxkmfdmxx

Saint Petersburg, FL USA

Post Number: 197
Did you try finding a better ground for the amps?

Post Number: 2
The ground on the amps should be fine, they are both grounded to the chasis with 4 gauge wire. This problem did not occur with my old head unit. The only thing I can think of is that the outputs from the headunit are bad?

Post Number: 5
Could that fact that the new head unit has 5 volt pre-outs cause my problem? Since I went to a higher volt but haven't adjusted my amps yet. Do they need to be turned down? Could they be sending too much power to the speakers? I would think though that if the volume is all the way down on the head unit it shouldn't be sending any kind of signal to the other devices though, correct?

Post Number: 7
The old head unit had only 2 volt pre-outs.

Anonymous

yeah thats sounds probable. my head unit has 4 volt pre-outs and when I first got my amp installed, the installer had set the gain to 1 or 2 volts(which is way too high for my HU). The whole way home I could hear a hissing noise so I checked everything and it WAS the amp gain.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us