Powering my Sub

Bronze Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 37
Okay, im pretty much set on a JL Audio 12W6v2. its a dual 4 ohm sub and i only will have one. it handles 400 watts rms. i was wondering what amp would be a good choice. Right now my main choice is the Kicker KX 400.1 but im also looking at the Orion 4002 and a JBL GTO model. I dont kno the exact model but it puts out sumthing like 450 watts @ 4 ohms. Any other suggestions r welcome.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 199
1st Jl audio 500/1 2nd Kicker + orion 3rd but not a bad third is the JBL thats what I would have to say but would you notice a difference between the jl and the jbl? I doubt it! not unless you have a hell of an ear!
James

Bronze Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 41
okay, 1st question, why do ppl like using the JL 500/1 for that sub, it gives 100 more watts than the rms rating. I kno a little over isnt a big deal. does the extra watts get cut down from the car voltage, i dunno, help me out. Also i was lookin sum more and saw that the MTX Thunder 421D would be good maybe. it puts out 420 watts @ 2 ohms. i kno sum1 who uses an mtx amp for his JL 12W3's so maybe it would work good too.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 202
if you look at the broshure that comes with the 12w6v2 you will see a chart. It has power recomendations. If you look at that chart you will see that 500 watts is still in the optimal range. They actually made the jl 500/1 for the 12w6v2 and the 1000/1 for the 12w7. So no you dont have to use it but if you were into using the same components it is kinda made for it. I have heard that the 500/1 is also a great match for 2-12w3v2's. I am sure the MTX amp will work great for you though!
James
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us