R.m.s power

james garson
Unregistered guest
are audiobahn amps rated in r.m.s power

Username: Stylnul

Victorville, CA US

Post Number: 4
all amps are rated in peak output and rms output. IF they dont show rms power, just divide the peak power rating by two, hence= 1000 watts peak equals 500 watts rms

Mr. Know A Little
Unregistered guest
not really. RMS is not always half of peak. Audiobahn amps will usually show the peak and the RMS. It a lot of cases RMS is half of peak but not always. I have this piece of crap Pyle amp that is 600 watts max but only 40 watts RMS @ 4 ohms and 70 @ 2 ohms. Just check specs of the amp and it should tell you.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7302
technically, RMS should be .707 of peak, but in the audio industry, "peak" or ?max" is often as much as 5 or more times the RMS power. There's no logical reasoning for these ratings, but as misleading and inaccurate as they are, it's still done.
It's always best to check the mfgr's site for specifics.

Username: Chism

Post Number: 4
Glass, I am a EE major and i always wondered by the RMS value on the amps isn't .707 of the max. You have any ideas how they come up with these values?

Bronze Member
Username: Themax96se

USA

Post Number: 40
Certian manufactures are more honest with thier ratings. I have a crappy so called 1000watt amp that puts out about .125 of peak: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/117216.html

It really depends on the manufacture... as long as you stay away from the crappy manufactures you should get about .5 of peak.

Bronze Member
Username: Sparkey2027

Barnstaple, England England

Post Number: 49
i aggree. i was taught i electronics, that r.m.s is 0.707 like glass said. and mean was 0.637 i think. mean isnt really applicable to car audio tho. but its the same with all car audio. 6x9s are quite bad for exagerating their wattage. ive come accross a set of 500w 6x9s. they didnt have the rms on them. but they only had a 11 oz magnet so there was no way it could even be close to 500w.

the most powerfull 6x9 ive seen is a 350w boschmann. they have magnets that weigh somthing like 120 oz.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1095
I have a theory. Amps used to be listed in rms power long time ago. But when consumers became more educated and found out how weak 15w rms was, marketing scammers decided to inflate the power numbers to make it sound powerful. 250W HU sounds way better than 60W rms doesn't it? Then you have some manufacturers that are even more greedy and dishonest. They pick a multiplying factor out of a hat and use it. 2000W amp becomes 100Wx2 rms. Some even use numbers that can't be divided by a whole number. For example 800W peak and 75W rms.
I think it's time for government to regulate them. I mean if a car industry said their cars can travel 200mph and then you find out it only did 85mph tops, wouldn't there be lawsuits?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
perhaps a 2000w amp(200w rms) can give out 2000w for like a milli second with the gain set to max and the volume on full. maybe just maybe it gives out 2000w for the tinyest moment, before it blows up and takes half your car out. lol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
and perhaps tht 500w 6x9 i found. draws 500 w from an amp. once its melted and starts shorting out from sticking too much power accross it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us