Will a bad crossover do this?

Username: Nwdmax

Post Number: 3
I've got an Alpine 9835 hu with a set of 6.5" Infinity reference components in front and 6.5" 2 ways in back. These are powered by an Alpine MRVF 540 amp.Subs are MTX 7510 10" svc run in parallel powered by an MTX 801D amp.The system sounds really good but the passenger side midbass speaker will quit working or reduce volume after playing for a few minutes.I'll continue to let music play and it will start working again.It comes and goes with some regularity and bumps and jolts don't seem to have any effect.There is no popping like a loose connection and I pulled the speaker out and checked the connections along with the crossover which I pulled out and cleaned and re stripped the wire back to fresh.Will a bad crossover heat up and quit and then start working again when it cools?
Any other ideas?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7260
could be a bad crossover module. could also be a speaker terminal grounding out to the metal in the car door.. that happens quite a bit causing similar problems.
try insulating the terminals and any exposed wiring with electrical tape or something to make sure no terminals are grounding out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us