New idea to open up air flow from my trunk, let me know what you think....

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 282
I have a ported box trunk of my little 94' sunbird. When I turn my head-unit up barely any, to just get a little thump out of my sub, the box throws so much air that everything in the trunk rattles like crazy. The main problem is the little shelf in the very back of the car, right underneath the rear windsield, inside it would be the roof of the trunk right after the trunk lid, you know what I'm talking about. Well, the cary is kinda made sorta cheaply, so that shelf part isn't very thick, or selaed tightly for that matter. It vibrates up and down obnoxiously, and makes a hell of a racket. I was thinking about cutting a sorta "port", or just a circle into it, so air in the trunk could escape into the cabin of the car, and maybe relieve some of the pressure. I was also wondering if this would make things louder in the cabin, since my rear seats don't fold down, and the trunk is vertually sealed off.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2968
Lots of people do this, it works very, very well. It will bleed off pressure in the trunk and couple the cabin with the trunk. You'll get more SPL in the vehicle and better SQ.

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 285
Great, thank you very very much Jonathan. How should I do it, just cut a plain hole in the shelf, and how large do you think it should be?

Bronze Member
Username: Zepp

Post Number: 33
i dont know much about sunbirds, but if you have rear speakers, try taking them out. the speaker mount holes will provide "ports" to the trunk allowing air to move throughout

besides, youll find several people who will tell you rear speakers are simply unnessecary and only provide fill to the back of the car, which if you have good front speakers, you wont need that fill

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 286
The sunbird has 2 6x9's in the back. I had gotten new ones when I first got it before I got a system in the car, but now of course I don't use them. I could go inside and cout out the holes thouh. The holes for the 6x0's aren't open, but I think it's only a thin layer of the grey carpet-like stuff that's covering them. Thanks for the idea. Would those be suffecient sized holes for what I'm trying to do?

Bronze Member
Username: Dustin507

Post Number: 15
i have a similar problem in my 93 cavalier. My rear deck rattles like crazy and I've been looking for something to do about it. So how much will this actually take out of the sound of my system? (taking the speakers out) It actually adds SPL? And do I need to also cut away the carpet layer like Joe said he has?

Bronze Member
Username: Drumjunky

Boulder, Colorado

Post Number: 52
i found this article a while back.

I don't really have this problem, so I can't put any validity to it...take it for what it's worth...

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 287
Thanks for the article. Dustin, are cars are virtually the same thing, so I'll tell you what I do today, and how it worked. I don't think I want to take the 6x9's out, incase I ever sell the car and some crazy person wants them back in. So I'll trace a hole maybe the size of a coffee can into the deck right in the exact middle, and cut it out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Alright joe I will be anxiously waiting to hear if this worked or not, hope to hear from ya soon, hopefully good things too haha.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7268

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/trunk.htm

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 288
Hey Dustin, I finished putting my holes in the deck, and I have to say I am very very happy. I broke down and did end up taking the 6x9's out, and cutting out the holes for those. Of course a plain hole (not perfectly shaped due to crappy cutting skills) doesn't look very good, so I took 2 6x9 grill covers and positioned them over the holes evenly and screwed them into place. I was a little afraid that the air flowing through the holes in the grill would make a different noise, but suprisingly you don't hear anything. I couldn't tell a huge difference in the spl, yeah it was a noticibley a little louder, but the sq was so much better. It instantly got rid of the "muffled" sound of the bass, and you could hear different frequency's better. It also almost completely got rid of the deck rattle, since the air now has a place to go, and the inside of the car doesn't rattle nearly as much anymore.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
good to hear, what did you use to cut away the carpet layer where your speakers were?

Silver Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 290
I just used a new razor blade. There was a very dense cardboard type layer underneath the carpet, and that was kinda hard to cut, but you don't need more than the razor blade.

Anonymous

Have you tried just removing the 6X9's? That might be enough without any hole cutting. If it does then you can just slap them back in when you sell.

Griffin507
Unregistered guest
that is what we did, we just cut the carpet away from wear the 6x9's were so that the air could travel easier.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us