Can I get some help from an expert?

Corrine
Unregistered guest
Hi, my name is Corrine and I just have a question that I hope one of you guys can help me with. I have a Pioneer DEH-P2600 deck and have 4 Pioneer TS-A1680R 4 way speakers right now. 2 4-ways in the front and 2 4-ways in the rear.I'm just wondering if this a good internal system set up??

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7240
its ok.
personally I'd use 2 ways at most in back. otherwise it ends up too bright, and lacking in midbass.
I'd use 3 ways in front.
the "more ways is better" idea went out in the 80s. It was pretty much disproven.

you may want to add a self powered sub to round out the system as well.

Corrine
Unregistered guest
Is this true? 4-ways are not better than 2 or 3 ways? I thought that they would be! Please help!

Silver Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 122
Well in the front you want to have a lot of highs (or rather I should say all the highs your system will deliver). If you have highs in the rear it will screw up your soundstage. Glass is the pro hear, he will suggest to you what he thinks is best.

Corrine
Unregistered guest
michael. can the head units make the 4-way rear turn the highs down?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7263
well ideally you want the music to be accurate, not overly bright. in the back you don't want a lot of highs because it's distracting and tends to ruin the stereo separation of the front speakers causing a "drift" effect in the imaging.
see a 4-way speaker is a midrange with 3 tweeters.
a 2-way is just a midrange and one tweeter, which quite often is your best combination. one good tweeter is all you need for a good soundstage with the midrange speaker. more tweeters aren't really better.. and often result in too harsh of a sound at higher frequencies.

If you're happy with the sound that is all that matters. Personally I'd go with 2-ways in back, two or three ways in front, or ideally, 2-way separates where the tweeter is separate from the midrange (called components or separates) for the best front effect. Then I'd add a sub to fill in the lower frequencies the components can't deliver.
that'd be an ideal setup for me anyway for a daily driver car.

Girlie Girl
Unregistered guest
Looking for sound advice ;-)
I'm buying the Citroen CX Prestige model (the long one), and this is the system I'm thinking of putting in it:
Alpine CDA-9831 HU, Boston Acoustics FS50 Comp,1 Phoenix Gold Octane R12 woofer, Phoenix Gold Octane R 2.01 amp. I'm also going to use the Alpine iPod interface unit. Will this system sound great, with full bass, clear vocals? I'm worried about the Boston Acoustic speakers not working at capacity with just the power from the HU. Is that a real problem?? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 142
The sub might drown out the speakers because they are only getting like 22 watts RMS.

Bronze Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 27
It won't
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us