Amp voltage

Anonymous

OK this is a very n00b question but could somebody please shed some light on the matter of amplifier voltage for me. Like what is the difference between 12v and 14.4v? I though all batteries were 12v or is there something I'm missing.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 324
As the engine RPM's inscrease so does the voltage.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7206
the car battery with the engine off or at idle is 12.5VDC.
When the car engine is above idle, you get 13.5 to 14.4VDC because that's the alternator voltage.
the alternator has to generate a higher voltage than the battery in order for the battery to be recharged.

Anonymous

ah ok. thanks lol

Bronze Member
Username: Hassan

Post Number: 30
i was also wondering about that do you have any idea if a 96 dodge neon alternater gives 14.4VDC volts or not becouse i was thinking about getting the mtx thunder 684 amp and it said its 60x4 rms at 12.5 and 85x4 rms at 14.4 so i was confused about how much i would actually be getting becouse thats a preatty big diffrence speacailly that my speakers rms are 100

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 361
All alternators should put out between 14 and 14.4 volts with the car running. The diffrens is the # of amps they put out.

Tito1
Unregistered guest
Well, I have a '97 Buick Park Avenue with a gauge info display and it says my battery is running 12.7v, very rarely will it hit 12.9 or 13. This kind of worries me cause I'm planning to get a kicker 400.1 and it will only push 400 rms if it receives 14v. So, is there a way I could run a solid 14v to the amp?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 336
it's not going to receive 14V, that's a peak power rating. What kind of subs or speakers are you running with that amp?

Tito1
Unregistered guest
2 12" alpine s-type svc 4 ohm

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 338
That amp will drive those subs just fine, i promise :-)

chris123456
Unregistered guest
i have a few questions and i need some answers, if somebody wants to help me

chris123456
Unregistered guest
I have 2 audiobahn alum12Q's and a rockford p5002 amp, 1500 watts max, will that be ok for power

Tito1
Unregistered guest
Thanks Oleg Ni I'm gonna go ahead and get it.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 339
Unfortunately, Chris, that will not be enough. 1 of those amps may be enough for 1 sub, but i'm not too sure. Those subs are pretty power hungry.

Tito1
Unregistered guest
Just thought to let you know that I just finished installing my kicker 400.1 to my alpine type s's and it hits very hard. I got a question though. Is it necessary to get a cap with this kinda system? My lights don't dim out and my alt shoots out 105 amps.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 344
looks like you're good without a capacitor

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7332
capacitors have nothing to do with dimming lights.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us