Focal K2 Power vs DLS Iridium vs Dynaudio MKII

Username: Psychon

Post Number: 3
Hey, have any of you heard the new 6 1/2 inch Focal K2P (K2 Power) components? How does it compare to the DLS Iridium 6.2 or the Dynaudio MKII sets with regard to sound reproduction and overall clarity? What are the weak and strong points of each set? Thanks in advance!

Sig
Unregistered guest
I can vouch for the Focal K2P and the Dyn MKII but I haven't heard of the DLS's.

The focals and the dyns are both great speakers, but they sound different. Neither speaker is worse than the other, it really comes down to personal preference. When I demo'd the speakers I personally preferred the Dyn and Morel components over the focals, because I thought their sound was more accurate and complemented my music taste (acoustic rock mainly) better. Some people however think that the dyn and morel components sound harsh and bright, and prefer the Focal components which produce a warmer sound. the other factor is the low end. Dyn and Morel don't much bass, so if you don't want to get a subwoofer, you may be better off getting the focals.

As much as I can try to describe the speakers to you, you really do have to listen to them in order for you to make a decision, especially if you are going to be dropping that kind of coin. I can tell you, however, that both dyn and focal make great speakers but they represent two very different tastes in sound. If you are looking into those speakers you might be interested in checking out the morel elate series, I have them in my car and highly recommend looking into them.

Check online to find your local focal, dyn, DLS, and morel dealers and give them all a good listen. Don't be afraid to spend a lot of time demoing them, i spent a good 3 hours in my local car stereo shop over a couple of different visits before I finally decided. And make sure to bring your own cds that represent the music that you listen to for demoing the speakers.

Good Luck!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2913
"Some people however think that the dyn and morel components sound harsh and bright, and prefer the Focal components which produce a warmer sound. the other factor is the low end. Dyn and Morel don't much bass, so if you don't want to get a subwoofer, you may be better off getting the focals."

You're really making me question whether you've actually heard these speakers side by side. Dynaudios and Morels are far from harsh and bright, they're warmer and more neutral than the Focals as well, including the Utopias and K2P sets. The midrange of the Focals and Dyns are similar in warmth and accuracy, but I do find the Dyns more neutral all around. Midbass reproduction is about the same, the Focals are a little punchier and the Dyns are a tad more spot-on. The Focal inverted dome tweeter is what gives it a brighter sound, the Dynaudio MD100 tweet is more neutral and transparent. The Focal K2P is a power listening set, with a punchier midbass and brighter treble response.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the advice guys! Unfortunately im from the Philippines where its near impossible to get to demo these components so i will have to go in and purchase one of these sets blindly and deafly. My judgement will really have to depend on only reviews and other peoples expert advice so if anyone else out there could help, i'd really appreciate it. By the way, I have another question. The amp i will be using to power the components is rated at 120x2 at 4 ohms, will this be enough to power the sets ive mentioned? It's rated at 180x2 at 2 ohms but im not sure if its possible to wire the components for a 2 ohm load. Please help!!!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2917
http://www.carreview.com/Speakers/Dynaudio/PRD_3768_1805crx.aspx
http://www.carreview.com/Speakers/Focal/PRD_52770_1805crx.aspx#reviews
Couldn't find a review on there of the Iridiums, but they are a fantastic component set as well. I don't know what kind of amp you plan to run, but with any of these speaker sets you need to have quality electronics to back them up. They are all very accurate and if other components in the system are sub-par, you will hear it. To get the most out of the components, I also advise you to invest a good amount of time to install them properly. They are all very revealing and provide good imaging, but only if you dedicate the time to install them correctly. Sound deadening is a must down the line, kick panel or other custom installation tricks will also benefit. 120x2 is plenty to power these sets as long as it's a clean amplifier. The Dynaudios and DLSs are more neutral and less efficient, the Focal K2Ps are going to be the louder set. If you like a stronger tweeter, the Focals are the better bet, if you like a more neutral, laid back sound, stick to the Dyns or the DLS sets.

Post Number: 6
Thanks again Jonathan! I'm now kinda leaning towards getting the K2P's. However, if anybody else has anymore advice regarding the above mentioned sets please do tell! I have a few more days till i finally go out and buy them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us