Speaker installation

Bronze Member
Username: Nysteelers

Post Number: 82
ok im doiny my first install by myself on my car which is a 96 pathfinder. im putting speakers in my four doors, and so i get the door panel off and remove the speaker, cannect the adapter and i cant mount the new speaker...there is a plastic white spacer thing on the door that the original speaker screwed into. there is also a metal spacer with the neww speakers, but no matter what i do, the holes wont match up, because the screws that came with the speaker are a lot smaller than the ones that screwed the original speaker into the car. i was thinkking of drilling right into the plastic spacer maybe, but i dont want to damage it encase im wrong. is there some kind of adapter/spacer i could buy to fix this also?

tarheel6869
Unregistered guest
I got a new truck recently and am planning on putting a new system in it, so I have a couple of questions. I'm planning on spending around 700 dollars or so, but have a couple hundred dollars wiggle room. I for sure want to replace the front speakers in my doors(because they rattle alot and are fuzzy) and my head unit( I plan on getting an alpine so I can add the KCA-420i ipod adapter). I want a system that is good but it doesn't have to be like amazing competition quality or anything. How much should I look at spending for each component and what kind? Is there anything I for sure need to get? Also, I'm 16 and haven't ever installed anything like this, is it worth my money to have a professional do it so I know its right or is it easy enough that I could figure it out? If I should get a professional install, how much should it costs if I have a 02 chevy silverado and does anyone know any good places around Houston where I can know that I'm getting a quality install at a decent price?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 952
I'd suggest that you drill a new hole. I've done that before. Not all car manufacturers use standard screws/brackets.

tarheel6869
Unregistered guest
I got a new truck recently and am planning on putting a new system in it, so I have a couple of questions. I'm planning on spending around 700 dollars or so, but have a couple hundred dollars wiggle room. I for sure want to replace the front speakers in my doors(because they rattle alot and are fuzzy) and my head unit( I plan on getting an alpine so I can add the KCA-420i ipod adapter). I want a system that is good but it doesn't have to be like amazing competition quality or anything. How much should I look at spending for each component and what kind? Is there anything I for sure need to get? Also, I'm 16 and haven't ever installed anything like this, is it worth my money to have a professional do it so I know its right or is it easy enough that I could figure it out? If I should get a professional install, how much should it costs if I have a 02 chevy silverado and does anyone know any good places around Houston where I can know that I'm getting a quality install at a decent price?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
issac..i havent done much building in my life, so do u think that if i drill into the plastic it wont crack or anything right..it is kinda hard plastic, and a skinny plate?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 954
Drilling on the existing plate shouldn't crack it. Just make sure you drill the new holes as far away from the original as possible and centered. It's nothing special. If you had proper tools, you could make your own bracket, but that's another story.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
ok thanks.. ill most likely try this.. thanks alot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us