Cheaper boston acoustics components

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 289
Any thoughts on the cheaper boston acoustics components? I know the name's good, but how about the lower end speakers? Better stuff available for the money? I'm talking about stuff <$150. Thanks all

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 957
Instead of going with lower models from BA, why not try higher model from Infinity? To me you'll get better bang for the money.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 302
like the 6000cs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 959
Yea, that's a pretty good speaker and it's around $100.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 305
Also, Isaac...do you like kicker components? My friend just got them installed, but for now we can't say anything about their true quality and abilities b/c they're still running off his old cassette deck.

Silver Member

Post Number: 960
From what I've heard, they're suppose to be pretty good. I haven't tested though cause I went with Infinity.
The only way to know is to use an amp and supply around 75W using a good CD. Anything less than 20W, and they all sound the same.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 310
Will do. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 319
Oleg Boston Acoustic makes some really nice speakers. IMO they have a diffrent sound that the infinities. I have found the infinities to be to bright, and the bostons just a little bit less. Once I set my EQ up properly I really enjoyed the bostons. I was even impressed with the older model Rallies I installed in my friends truck.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 319
I want something with good mid bass response and moderate high frequency response, not too bright. Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 339
Oleg, I am like you when it comes to how i want my music to sound. I hate getting out of a car with a head ache because the highs are so brite it hurts.

I listened to alot of speakers before I purchased my bostons, including mb quarts, and infinities. Granted I did listen to them at diffrent stores, and the set ups were not the exact same. I found the bostons pros to be more along the line of what I was looking for.

It did take some playing to get the highs the way I wanted. In the end I ended up putting my tweets of axis about 5 inches forward of the mids. So if you don't mind spending a little more I would sugets their Pro series.

If money isn't an option Glass and jonathan speak very highly of the DynAudio 360 and 240. They use a soft dome tweeter that they swear by.

My best peice of advice for you is to figure how much you want to spend, and just start listening. Be sure to take a few of your favorite cds, and have them use an amp about the same as the one you will be powering them with.

Once you decide let me know. I would like to know what you end up with.

Silver Member

Post Number: 977
Soft dome tweeters are the best. However, I personally find that if you mix in bullet tweeters and balance it (you have to), then it sounds even better.
In my car I have 4 soft dome tweeters and 2 "hard" tweeters.

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 322
What does balancing a tweeter mean?
Also, I'm limited as to which speakers I can get because of the mounting depth. The infinity 6000CS is just right because they're 2" top to bottom, which is about as deep as it can go in my car! :-(

Silver Member

Post Number: 979
If you had a hard/bullet dome tweeters, it'll give you at least 2x more highs. So you'll need a way to control them to compliment the soft domes. Once you do that, it'll sound much better than just soft dome alone. At least to my taste. If you ever listen to a harp sounds or instruments with very sharp highs, then you'll find they help produce more realistic notes.
If you ever go to a shopping malls, sometimes they have a live band playing. I compared those sound with my car, and found with just soft domes, you get good SQ, but it sure didn't sound live. With bullet/hard dome tweeters added in the mix, it sounded closer to those sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us