Upgrade car's audio

Bronze Member
Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 55
hi, i am thinking of buying some speakers for my car because the ones that are in it are an embarassment. interested in decent sound, nothing earth shaking, not planning on buying any amps or subs, just speakers and a head unit. my budget i guess would be about $400 for head unit and speakers but am willing to have it increaase if it would serve better. i am going to do the installation myself so nothing fancy, i dont think anything fancy will arise but thought i should mention it. the car is a '91 volvo 740, no not the greatest car but its what i got. i tried crutchfield and all i got was rockford fosgate as speakers that would fit. i would like to get either alpine or infinity speakers, nothing crazy or expensive but decent sound. is there really that much of a differnce in size that i couldn't fit them in? also, i dont believe that there is an actual hole in the front doors for a speaker, there is a speaker grill, but the space for a speaker is covered with the paneling. is there any way i can install speakers there like cutting the paneling away and would there be any wiring there hook speakers up? ill try and post a picture later when i get home so you guys will have a better idea what i am talking about. thanks for you help. this isnt going to be an immediate project but would like to get some advice ahead of time. maybe for the summer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
i have been checking other online stores and have found that the selection of speakers is very different than what crutchefield gives. crutchfield had it down to 5 1/4" speakers with mount depths of 2". then i went to the infinity website and did the vehicle search and got different numbers. they had the front door being 6 1/4" with 2 1/2" mount depth and rear deck being 6"x9". cardomain.com had similar results. would it be ok to go with the selections of the latter and get infinity? any help would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Phx

Post Number: 11
volvo 4 life, foo!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
oh, and it's best to take 'em out and look for yourself to find out what sizes those are, crutchfield doesnt know a damn thing about volvos. i had a 91 740, i never replaced the stereo, but i think it's 6.5 in the front doors, 5.25 in the rear doors and 6x9 in the rear, but im not sure and i have no idea about the mounting depths. also if those 6x9 in the rear are like the speakers in my 850s, it's gonna take a lot of cutting to get anything to fit in those reardeck pods, best to make an adapter plate and put some 6.5 or 5.25 back there if you want rear speakers. that's wierd that you have no speaker holes up front, where are the factory speakers? the factory speaker wiring harness is probably hanging inside the door or secured in a little slot in the door panel that holds it in place if it's not hooked up to a speaker. IMO infinity WAY before alpine speakers, i'm not a big fan of any of alpine's component/coax offerings. i probably know a lot more about volv's than car stereo though

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
thanks. sorry i cant be any more descriptive about the front speakers. i was actually baffled by it too so i adjusted the fader settings to the front and if i remember correctly got close to no sound. also the plastic grill for the passenger side door actually came off and it was just like there never was a speaker there or supposed to be there. i am actually in college so i cant post a picture of it yet but will when i get back home. oh also, i was browsing through crutfield's website for a head unit and liked the Blaupunkt Acapulco MP52. i've only seen people talk about alpine in this forum so i am wondering what people think of it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
oh i forgot to say, forget the factory speaker wires anyway, run your own bigger wires. is there a place to mount a speaker behind the grill? i dont know anything about blaupunkt but i know they're really cheap i wouldnt expect much.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
i would run thicker cables, heck i would use an amp too but i want to keep the installation for this proj to a minimum. my sister and i share this car and will most likely sell in in a couple years. my next car i will probably be more involved with improving the audio. if the blapunkt HU isn't that good can anyone suggest another one under $200 thats pretty good? thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
ok these are the head units that i am thinking of buying: Clarion DB345MP, Alpine CDM-9821, Pioneer DEH-P3600, Blaupunkt Monte Carlo MP34. my max budget for a head unit is $200. i want to get it at crutchefield cause they provide the mounting gear and the converter harness. the speakers i will buy on ebay since they are pretty cheap. infinity reference sound good?

Unregistered guest
If you are REALLY interested in getting DESCENT sound out of GOOD speakers then you MUST use an amp.
The amplifier in ANY head-unit cannot produce the required current (AMPs) to produce quality sound (especially bass) from a GOOD set of speakers.
Use cheaper speakers if you're not using an amp.
Wal-mart has a Sony 500w 4-Ch amp for ~$100.
Any REAL amp will blow-away any HEAD-UNIT amp!

Pharoh
Unregistered guest
Sorry EdW, but i have one thing to say.. Sony Explode's are named that becvause thats what it does, NEVER, buy any Sony Explode product, you will be greatly unsatified. But you are right about the head unit part. An amp is alot of work to get installed by yourelf, lol trust me i do it all the time. Unless you are willing to take the time and effort of doing a GOOD job urself, than pay the 50$ and get it done by a store. The Rockford Rosgate P2+ series arent that bad for a subwoofer, but i would not go that way for components, i would go through infinity or pioneer. infinity is expendive, but satifaction will be gaurenteed. Pioneer is not that bad anf they are more price freindly. You wont need an amp if you dont want a sub. What you could do is buy a decent head unit enough to power the speakers you are buying. A decent head unit can cost around 250$, a Good one can cost over 450, so its up to you. When it comes to car audio, do not go cheap, or you will find out what i did the hard way.

dissneting opinion
Unregistered guest
i have the 92 740 and the smae problem no front speakers but there is a 6.5 inch space for speakers crutchfield wont acknowlage it's existance though. tell me how the speakers work out because im about to buy some too

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
ed, first of all i was going for decent sound from a cheap and simple setup. you obviously didnt read that in my posts. second of all, i would never buy the sony amp even if it was my only choice, they make horrible audio stuff esp in car audio. dissenting opinion, i havent done this proj yet and didnt get to take a good look at my car before heading back to school. i probably wont be doing any work on it until the end of the summer when i have money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 372
ok so i finally did some detective work and found the wiring for the door mounted speakers. the opening measures 5" with the screw holes spaced 5.25" just for anyone else's info. one more thing i would like to as you guys. i want to get some decent bass but not obnoxiously loud or boomy. i have been looking for something small and unassuming to just add a little to the bottom end. what i have found so far is a 6.5" sub from parts express manufactured by tang band. i was thinking of getting two and mounting them where the rear deck speakers normally go. is this a bad idea, good idea? anything better without having to get something that takes up too much space and is well, obnoxious?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us