Pioneer avh 6500 vs avh 6600

Username: Lexmaster

Post Number: 4
I am looking to buy an in dash pioneer tv/dvd. What is the difference between the avh 6500 and the avh 6600 and is there much of a difference at all if any? Does the 6600 have more features and is it better than the 6500?

Bronze Member
Username: Shouder

Wisconsin

Post Number: 71
Yes, there is quite a bit of difference. The 6600 has a touch screen, dvd player, mp3 and wma player, where as the 6500 only comes with a cd player (if you get the 6500cd, otherwise it doesn't even have that). Yet, the 6500 you can find between $400-1000, where the 6600 ranges from like $700/800-1400. There you go.

Username: Raylew52

Baltimore, MD

Post Number: 1
Tim, I notice you have quite a bit of knowlege on the 6600, which I just received for X-mas. Do you have any suggestions on installation of this? I have a 99 Escalade I want to put the 6600 in. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 76
My biggest suggestion is to use a wiring harness, easily aviable at crutchfield. It makes installation so much easier, and less room for error. Also i don't know how the escalade dash is laid out but make sure that when the screen is open it will be able to stand pretty vertical with out hitting anything. I can't remember if the 6600 has a brain our not (the seperate signal unit). If it does install it under the passenger seat or anywhere hidden. Other than that its pretty much your normal install. Oh. One more thing. I think there is a green and purple wire. The purple is to hook up to your reverse lights if you have a backup camera. An the green is to be hooked up to your e-brake, so you can only watch movies when your ebrake is on. Instead just simply gound the green wire somewhere, and maybe put a switch on it. I did. If you have any other questions let me know, ill try to help.

Unregistered guest
hey tim, i was curious about what you said on the avh 6500 vs the avh 6600. Im also undecided on which one to purchase. I'v been doing a lot of research on the two and there almost identicle. Check the pioneer website, pioneerelectronics.com. You can compare the two on one page, there are very few differences, im pretty sure that the 6500 can do everything that the 6600 can do. see what you come up with and get back to me

Baltimore, MD

Post Number: 2
Tim, thanks a lot, I will let you know if there is anything else I can think of prior to installing the unit. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Talk to you soon, take care.

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 77
Dustin, its just like what i said before. The 6600 has a built in dvd player, along with mp3/wma playback. It also has a touch screen. All the 6500 has is a cd player and a screen.

Baltimore, MD

Post Number: 3
Tim, I was speaking with my uncle about the install. While he is no expert at car audio, he has always installed our familiy's cd players in our cars. The only thing he hasnt done is hooked up my subwoofer and my amp that is currently in my Escalade. Will this be difficult to hook up to the 6600 that we will be installing? Also, do you know which wiring harness is needed for the install? Also, when you referred to the "brain" I am not sure what you were speaking of? It seems to be just one unit, could you explain more if there is something I am missing? Thanks so much for your time Tim. Talk to you soon

Justin

Baltimore, MD

Post Number: 4
Tim, paying a little more attention to what was in the box, I noticed a unit that is labeled a "Hide-Away Unit" It has several different inputs/alputs with a purple wire coming out of it labled "Reverse Gear Signal Input". There is also a caution on the front that says "use input only for reverse or mirror image rear view camera. other use may result in injury/damage. Is this the brain you were speaking of?

Also, Is there any reference book/manual online that you are aware of with making an install like this? Any reference you may know of will be usefull to make sure my bases are covered. Thanks again Tim!

Justin

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 78
Yes, the "brain" that i was speaking of is the "Hide-away Unit". The purple wire is for a reverse camera, but since (im guessing) you don't have a backup camera, you don't need it. Unfortunally no, i don't know any other place for a manual than the pioneer web site itself.

Bronze Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 93
Dustin and lex i have to apologize i totally got the 6500 confused with the 6400. All my info was correct but about the wrong reciever. When i mentions the 6500 i was talking about the 6400, and i think even when i was talking about the 6600 i was talking about the 6500. Sorry i got confused. 6400,6400cd,6500,6600,7300,and 7500, it all gets a little confusing. but here you go one more time for those who are still interested.

What the 6600 has that the 6500 doesn't
-wma playback
-new background wallpapers, and animations

thats really about it. Sorry for the mixup.

Unregistered guest
can i override the dvd picture is disabled when driving? I know it is not reccomended and may even be illegal, but for learning purposes and general knowledge---how is it done?

jason larrere
Unregistered guest
i have the same question brian... i just got the pioneer 2005 cndv-50mt, supposedly it has a gyro sensor that stops the dvd if the car is moving, but it also has a connection to the e-brake. any way to override this?

Silver Member
Username: Spanky

Post Number: 110
what kind of animations does the 6600 play?

Unregistered guest
Typically, the e brake wire is grounded to the vehicle chassis and this alone should allow anyone to play there DVD's while in motion. Not to sure about the gyro thing ... I think I'd have to see it to believe it..

Unregistered guest
Where do I find a brain for the 6600dvd I bought it and it did not come with

Unregistered guest
I believe the gyro is only in the the new AVIC N1 and N2, not the other units. The NAV boxes may have one as well. The N1 did not use it, until the 50 upgrade. It also may use the NAV speed sensor as well. All to prevent watching movies in the front seat. The other units only require a switch that you flip off and then on and, voila, DVD in the front seat. As far as a brain for the 6600, check Ebay, but make sure it includes the cable, which can cost $75!

Unregistered guest
Is there anyway to get past this gyro problem?

Username: Getchasum3d

Bloomington, In Us

you are wrong about the avh 6500... i have one and it is a touch screen dvd player with mp3 and all the gadgets. im tryin to sell mine right now

Username: Eltonz

HI ther ei am getting the 6600 as well and i would liek to know what i need to get to make it GPS capable.

thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 143
For the escalade, does it have onstar/or navi, your going to need adapter in order for it to work. if you change radio, you lose onstar without it.

Unregistered guest
i have a vrx935vd, and when its open nothing works. What do i do?

Username: Charles44

Fort worth, Tx Tarrant

i have a avh 6500 and i cant get sound on am and fm stations what could i have done wrong
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us