Need an amp choice.

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 323
Ok, my friend just bought a JL W0 12. I think he has a single 4 ohm sub. I didnt know they had that for jl, but.... anyway he needs a good amp, he plans to add another jl W0 soon so a good amp recommendation for 2 jlW0 12's would be greatly appreciated. I'll get back to yall on the voice coil situation later.

Silver Member

Post Number: 324
ok the sub is a single 4 ohm voice coil. so i need a amp with about 200 rms @ 4 ohms and 400 rms @ 2 ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 169
jbl gto601.1 or kicker sx650.1 Look at audiobahns, they're more budget oriented and they do deliver.

Silver Member

Post Number: 325
is that gonna be the rite amount for the sub/subs, they're only 125 rms a piece. thanks for giving some input, ill check ebay and stuff to try and find those amps for a reasonable price. I found an MTX 401, it pushes 420 rms at 2 ohms for 239.99 on the dot. That should be a good amp for the set up rite. Please elaberate on this if anyone has any input. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6589
actually the 12W0 is rated at 125 watts RMS.
look at the JBL bp300.1
it'll give you 150wRMS to one sub and the same to each when he adds the second one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
Killa. Thanks Glass. So when you have a mono ch. amp and it pushes 150 rms, it will push 150 to each sub if you put 2 subs on that one channel? Thats cool, I thought it would divide the watts in half. So on my Punch P3001 thats about 400 rms on one channel will push that 400 rms to each if I hook up two? Killa. Thanks alot.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
o sh!t, i just realized that the ohms would drop from 4 to 2 so double the watts and that would be 300 rms between two subs, is that why it would be 150 rms to both? I read some people sayin that if you had an amp that pushed 500rms @ 2 ohms and you gave it a 2 ohm load with two subs, it would push 500 rms to each sub instead of 250 rms to each.
Is that right?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2826
Nope. If you were to put two 4 ohm subs on a mono amp, equalling a 2 ohm load when wired in parallel, and the amp put out 500W RMS at 2 ohms, then each speaker would get 250W.

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
Killa, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6611
right concept though.
two subs in parallel halve the impedance so while the power is divided between the subs, it's also doubled by having a 2 ohm load instead of 4 ohms.
this holds true for all but a very few amps that have a regulated output like the JL slash series amps, which put out the same total power regardless of load between 1.5 and 4 ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
cool, im glad there are people like yall on this forum. Thanks alot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us