4 ohm stereo or 4 ohm bridged to 2 subs

mdsmith
Unregistered guest
Hi, I have 2 svc 10's that handle 250 rms and 500 watts peak each. I have a 2 channel amp that is capable of 100 x2 4 ohms, and 200 x2 2 ohms, stereo. It's bridged power is 400 x 1, mono. Am I better off to bridge the amp and run my subs in a series? would that sound better than the 4 ohm stereo run? How many watts would each sub see in the bridged/series run? thank you for your help.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2772
In series, your subs would make an 8 ohm load, and with an 8 ohm bridge, it would be equivalent to the output in 4 ohm stereo, it would just be combined to one channel. In short, it will be 200 watts RMS on an 8 ohm bridge, the same as if it were running 4 ohm stereo, the main difference is that it would be run in mono. Bridged would be the way to go IMO.

mdsmith151
Unregistered guest
Im wondering if I should just run one 10" sub bridged until I get another amp. Do you think that would sound better than two 10's with 100 watts each. 400 watts to one sounds like a no brainer.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2774
The two will be a little bit louder than the one will for the power. It won't hurt anything as long as you don't send the amplifier into bad clipping. I'd just run the two until you can get a larger amplifier that matches well with your subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us