HELP! Sparks during installation

Bronze Member
Username: D1slocate

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 11
Me and my friends and my brother were installing my receiver, it look a long time but I know we got all the wiring the way the diagrams say. Once during the installation my friend took one wire n jokingly said "MAYBE THIS GOES HERE!" and he stuck the blue wire into one of the big plugs on the back of alpines for, I believe ipods, and it made a spark. Everything was off but I can't think of any other reason of why it isn't working. And yes, my brother was too lazy to disconnect the battery. Am I screwed? Got it from crutchfield, what are my options?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6487
your options are to kick your friend's @ss, then give him the bill for a new head unit.
and thank him for buying your alpine he destroyed.
user fsckup during install isn't covered by crutchfield or alpine.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6488
PS, next time just buy the proper wiring harness adapter for the car make/model and wire it to the Alpine's harness BEFORE going near the car.
tape or heat shrink wrap all connections and bare wires.
then when you install the stereo, all you do is plug in the harness(es), plug in the antenna, and push it into the dash. then you screw in the mounting kit and you're done.

Bronze Member

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 12
Crap, are you that sure that doing that destroyed it? And crutchfield would be able to tell that I screwed it up and it wasn't damaged during shipping or something?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6505
yes and yes
sparks are a pretty good indication you caused a dead short, and any self-respecting tech can tell when someone shorted out a radio.. especially since the radio was never powered till you got it.

Bronze Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 40
Man that sucks. To do a proper install of a head unit the entire wireing should most likely be done outside the vehicle then just plugged in and tightened back into its home. Doesnt sound to good for you my friend. Glass is right the tech at Alpine will most definetlly know that you shorted it out.

Bronze Member

Cary, NC US

Post Number: 13
Got it installed today, just had some really bad wiring or something. Man did I luck out, maybe I'll stick to paying the pro's from now on.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6528
I'd still smack your friend :P

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us