Using an xbox as amp input

Anonymous

would it be ok to use an xbox as the amp input so i dont have to go out a buy a cd deck cause im seeting up a car audio setup in the house?

Anonymous

WHAT?

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 49
Can't see why not - what sort of outputs can you get from it? I would gather you can have the audio come out on a pair of RCA's. Also you will need to find out what the output voltage is on the RCA's from the XBox - and make sure your amp will cope.

Cheers Glenn

Ps - You will need to devise some sort of trigger for the remote on, a relay fused and fed from the main feed to the amp and a trigger on the relay hooked up to the XBox somewhere.

Bronze Member
Username: Ps1k0

Post Number: 86
i don't own an X-Box, But i'd imagine it's like the PS2 in the sense that it has a set of rca wires that you'd hook the red and white up to the amp, correct?

ok, so here's my question, how are you going to control the volume?
since most amps are mounted in a secure location (or atleast they are supposed to be) or out of sight from the thieving hormongers of the world,
are you just going to have the X-box and amp sitting on the passenger seat with a screwdriver for easy access to adjust the gains?

now, if i am way off on this and the X-box has it's own volume control, please let me know.
I want to learn.

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 55
Dude,

He's setting it up in his house, and I think you'll find that the XBox does have the ability to regulate its own volume. I'm not sure what he's going to do for speakers as he will need car speakers setup in boxes as the car amp won't run hi Ohm home audio stuff.

Also, just so that you know you should never set the volume with the gain on the amp :-). We'll see if he posts back to us.

Cheers Glenn

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
oh, i got that he wanted to use the x-box hooked up to an amp instead of a source unit, out of that message.
as i said, i'm not a x-box owner (hopefully what will change on christmas :-) ) so i didn't know that it could control volume. that is interesting.
thought most home audio stuff ran 8ohm?
car amps can handle 8ohm. so i think i'm missing something your saying/

i know that you don't use the amp gain as a volume control. unfortunatly too many people don't.

Mr. Don't Know Much
Unregistered guest
ok I' sure that is possible to hook it to the amp. But my question is how are you gonna hear it through your highs unless your highs is hooked to an amp.

Bronze Member

Australia

Post Number: 66
Mr DKM - what are you talking about? I can't even make any sense from that. Ps1k0 - Yeah it was an odd post, I'm with you owning an XBox mate :-)

Most Home audio stuff is 8 Ohm, thats correct, prob is that if you put the car amp on 8 Ohm loads there will be stuff all output.

Don't give people the wrong idea with your posts (intentionally I mean) you and I know we shouldn't use the gains, but others may not and might clip their gear to death or drive their amp way beyond its rated abilities.

Later man

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
oh, i wasn't trying to make people think that using the gain as volume was a good idea. if i did that then i appologize.

reminds me of a car i did about a year ago. JL audio 1000/1 amp and 2 12" MTX somthing's. i set that thing up sweet.
gain only needed about 1/3 setting. customer came and picked it up at closing. my boss called me to the front to look at the guy fiddling in the trunk. pulls off and you hear REALLY LOUD BASS!! even louder than i set it. stuff ratteled on the walls. then silence and brake then reverse lights. never made it out of the parking lot.came back in and said "it's not working".pulled his car in. looked at the amp and he had the gain all the way up. took the box out and removed one of the subs and smoke came out of the box. both subs were dead. the cones were frozen. he had the subs for 2 days. the place he both them wouldn't warranty them. he was pissed.

wow, that story is shorter to tell than to type.

the moral is, the gain is NOT a volume control. set it and leave it.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us