Diff. brands of amps...

Username: Scab12886

Post Number: 10
somewhat of a stupid question i'm sure, but is it alright to get a JL amp to power speakers and a PG amp to power my sub? or should i stay with one brand for both things?? thanks a lot!

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 140
PG? don't know. Yeah, JL is fine for components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
PG is phoenix gold...thanks for your input Oleg

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 148
Not sure about their amps, search the forum though.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 259
Your amps and speakers do not have to match. However if your going to run a high end speaker I would run an amp that matches it well. As for JL / PG. JLs amps are alot nicer, and better built.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6382
use whatever amplifiers make you happy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanks for the input jeremy and glasswolf. yeah i know JL makes better amps. i just dont think i have the funds for their 1000 watt amp right now. if i save up for longer maybe, but the PG one was a little more than half the price of that one. but thanks for your input, greatly appreciated!

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 151
There're many other amps that will give you 1000watts RMS at a lower price. Look at audiobahns, they're more budget oriented, but I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed because I have one. As for running your mids/highs, you'd be surprised how many "cheap" amps will make them sound great. Look at power acoustik amps for your mids/highs on ebay, they're extremely budget oriented and deliver good clear sound. I have had mine power acoustik farenheit amp for 5 years and it works like new, powers my cerwin vega components and orion coaxials great. Take a look at this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950%26item%3D5737758132% 26

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6427
honestly, 70% or more of the audible signal you listen to (called music) is in the mid/treble vocal range anyway, and this is the range where distortion is far more easily heard.
You're better off having the good amp (JL) as the 300/4 for mids/highs where it really counts, and using a less expensive amp to handle stuff at say 60Hz and below for subs.
Really you won't hear as much loss from a lesser amp used for subs as you would if it were the amp for your fronts.
Hell, that's why we use class D amps on subs! they sound like crap for full range, but for subs, you can't tell the difference anyway since the subs mask all of the shortcomings of the class D design.

PG still makes decent amplifiers anyway though so you're not really selling yourself short here at all.
Your system should sound great with both JL and PG amps together in the arrangement you've chosen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
thanks a lot glass. now the problem is picking components for the JL amp. i was looking at the MB Quart Premiums and then i read on here pretty much everything saying to turn away from them. i was looking at the dynaudio 240gt system. do you think that would be a better choice if i saved up the extra money for those? i know you run dynaudios so i trust your judgement when it comes to those. would they be able to run off the same JL 300/4 amp? or would i need a diff. one?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6432
Dyn makes fantastic components if you're after a really good SQ system. Their textile tweeter is very smooth and laid back. It's an audiophile grade tweeter that tends to be very flat in response, so it's not a "bright" treble like you get from hard dome tweeters. Keep that in mind because some people like brighter treble like you find with Infinity Kappa/Perfect systems.
It really depends on your tastes. I like jazz, blues, female vocals like Tori and Sarah Mclachlan, stuff like that and for those sorts of music, the Dyn systems are amazing.
Probably not the best choice though if you want to listen to a lot of say, metal.. for metal I may look more toward Infinity, or perhaps Focal.
Those will be brighter sets, and they'll bring out more of the vocals and symbols etc over the heavier guitars that tend to drown out that stuff with some systems.

If you watch ebay, I see the 240GT system go by there pretty often, new. good prices, too.
One thing I like about Dyn is that every speaker they sell is made and designed by them, at their factory in Denmark. Nothing is farmed out to mass production companies then branded for them like so many audio companies do these days. They are a unique product, much like Rainbow, and not something you see everybody using.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
thanks again glass. i usually listen to a lot of alternative stuff, like dashboard confessional, fallout boy, taking back sunday, DMB, goo goo dolls, that sorta thing. some rap thrown in there as well. also sometimes i listen to older rock music (billy joel, boston, whitesnake, eagles), things of that sort. i usually like to mix it up with music selection, depending on how i feel that day. with that in mind, do you think i would be better off with the silk tweeter or the hard dome tweeter? i don't listen to a lot of "metal", if anything it would be metallica once in a while, but not too often. which do you think would be the best fit for me?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6442
I think the system 240GTmkII would be a very good set of components to go with.
Jonathan can probably add a bit more when and if he sees this, as he was looking at a set himself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
alright thanks a lot glass. i may try to save up and get the 240gt set if you think that would be a good choice for my musical tastes. i'm sorry if i'm asking redundant questions, i just want to get it right and have it sound good if i'm spending the money for this whole car system. and not having a place to listen to the dynaudio's it's just hard to think of the music and how different it would sound with a silk tweeter as opposed to a hard dome. but i know your very familiar with the dynaudio's so i trust you when you say it would be a good system for me. thanks for all your help. would the JL 300/4 be good for that system?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6458
that'd be fine. good amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
one quick last question glass...and i know its not in the right section, just wanted to continue this thread. if i were able to get the dynaudio 240 gt set, and got the JL 300/4 amp...what would be a good rear fill speaker for the back? or should i be leaving it empty? i have a 99 grand cherokee. i know lots of people say to leave it empty, but i do have people in the back seat a lot, so i dont want them to completely lose out on the music. would it be best to leave it empty? or what speakers should i get to fill the spot?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6471
where are your rear speakers in that Cherokee?
are they in the rear gate or that craptastic sound bar they used for a while?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
as far as i know they are 6.5" in the rear side doors.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6475
oh it's a JGC then.
ok.
in that case, you could use just about anything you liked the sound of.
I'd give a listen to some focals, maybe some lower end rainbows, or perhaps CDT.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
alright thanks again glass. does it make a difference that i dont match brands of components and the rears? i think Jonathon had said to try to match them..."It's usually best to match components and rears if you want the same response and timbre". thats what he said in one of his posts. would that make too big of a difference if i didnt match them? and how much do you think a good pair of any of the 3 brands you just listed would run me?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6482
the problem is I don't think Dyn has coaxials.
If they did, I'd say go that way, but I don't recall seeing any made by them.
As for price, it really depends on which line of which brand.
that, depends on your ears and wallet.

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 277
hey glass what kind of tweeter would be better suited for rab/r&b. soft dome or metal ??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks glass. i was looking on the rainbow site at the sound line SL and the dream line KX. those are the only coaxials there unless im not seeing something. which out of those two do you think is better? and do you know the prices of those 2 lines? i had also seen 2 focals...the 165CA for $170 and the 165CV for $240. are either of those any good? and how do they compare to the rainbows i mentioned above? same price range?? thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Stanleyc

Post Number: 101
What about rb/rap/rock (like linking park, yellowcard, and evanescence)? I was thinking the Dyns would suit those just fine, but I'm still not sure. I'm having a hard time finding some place to listen to Dyns, thus the question. I like treble, but nothing too piercing that I hear so often in rooms with large speakers turned to high volume. Reminded of a time I went bowling at night (when they have the music with lights and stuff).

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6503
their Dream line are good speakers. you don't need anything very bright or fancy for rear fill anyway.
I have a price list for rainbow but the dream line isn't listed on what I have.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
thanks a lot again glass. if i were to get those would it be alright to just run them off the alpine 9835 head unit? or would i need another amp for those?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6514
either way

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2747
To anyone wondering, the Dynaudios will produce any kind of music accurately. Remember accuracy doesn't always mean they'll sound like you want them to, just like people set their equalizers differently. If you got three people to sing an E flat, it would still be E flat, but the tonality would be different between each person. The Dynaudios really are something you have to listen to yourself. They're very flat, accurate, and transparent. They're very good for bringing out subtleties in your music, and are excellent for imaging. As far as the tweeter goes, the best way I can describe it is this: (assuming proper installation) if you were to close your eyes and just listen to the music, the tweeter wouldn't stick out. You would hear the music as a single blended source, and because of this, subtleties in music and the overall accuracy is easier to notice because you don't have any portion of the speaker overpowering another. It's totally opposite of components most people like such as the MB Quarts, Infinities, and others, in which the tweeters tend to make themselves very known, and sometimes too much so.

Bry
Unregistered guest
Hey Jon some quick newb questions..other than Equalizers, are there any other way of 'controlling' how bright or sharp the tweeters sound?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2761
The most important thing is to install the tweeter where it is in sync with the midrange, this makes a HUGE difference and is very important in a quality installation. Most people just put the tweeter in the A-pillar and think that will work best, but usually it's best to mount the tweeter close to the midrange, such as in the lower door or a kick panel. Just move the tweeter around close to the mid, and when the tweeter blends in perfectly, (it'll sound more like a single driver) you've found your location. Make sure the tweeter is mounted on a non-resonant panel, wood works well, such as plywood. Also, if the tweeters are extremely bright, some people add resistors in series with the tweeter to tone it's level down a little bit, playing with different resistor values to get the sound they're after. Not a whole lot you can do besides that, crossovers usually come with a tweeter level adjustment. I've heard of some people putting fabric and a little cotton or similar material in front of tweeters to tone the sharpness down a tad.

Bry
Unregistered guest
Location, location..location. Cool..thanks Jon, u da man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us