Messed up my right speaker

Username: Delta_storm2152

Windsor, Ontaria Canada

Post Number: 2
Hello again people. Been a while since I posted here. Anyways, I seem to have a small problem. About 4 months ago I bought a new system, and in the front I got a pair of Infinity Kappa 63.5i speakers. However I recenlty had a problem. The right speaker has stopped functioning correctly. The sound that comes out of it is basicaly notihng. Absolutely no bass comes through it any more and the treble is hardly noticeable until I turn it way up. It kind of sound like an old 1930's radio, and very quiet. I also found that if I push on one section of the cone then it kicks in again. I checked almsot everything, I took the speaker out and all that. So I figured that there is a wire inside of the speaker that when I push on the cone it's reconnecting it for a couple seconds and thus restoring the power while it's held down.

Well... My question is - Is there any way I can repair this sort of problem without ruining my speaker?

I'm in Canada and I bought from the US so I don't think the warranty will cover me. I don't abuse the speakers at all, I never blast it past it's limits... It shouldn't of happened in the first place...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6241
the coil sounds like it's damaged, most likely from distortion from the amplifier powering the speaker clipping. This is very common if the speaker is connected to the head unit for power, and turned up near full volume, as head unit power internal amplifiers clip above about 3/4 full volume.

You're pretty much stuck with replacing the speaker, or contacting Infinity to see about repair or replacement.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6242
PS if the speaker is 4 months old and was purchased in the US, then it's covered under warranty if you have the sales receipt. I don't care if ya live in Timbucktu now.. Infinity should back the product since you can just tell them you moved from the US to Canada since the time of purchase.
They can't really dispute this.

Username: Sanchez5888

Post Number: 1
Hey Caleb I have these same speakers and it happened to me also. Don't worry, theres nothing wrong with your speaker, its those stupid infinity crossovers. The lines get crimped and no sound goes to the midbass, its only going to your tweeter. Try switching the crossover from the other speaker to the one you think is messed up, it should play fine. Then go to infinitys site and email them, tell them what happened, and tell them you want a new crossover. You'll have to send yours back but theyll send you one for free.

Username: Delta_storm2152

Windsor, Ontaria Canada

Post Number: 3
Hmm... Interesting. Thanks for the tip Michael. I will try your suggestion in the morning and see what happens.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us