Help picking 6 1/2's..Glass/anyone?

Username: Musicluva

Post Number: 1
Hey everyone, im looking for 6 1/2's that i can play loud without gettin as much distortion as with my factory speakers. Im putting in subs also so dont really need bass just mids and highs that can be heard with the 2 16kv2's im getting. I mainly listen to rap, rock sometimes. I was looking at the Infinity REF6002I's i should be able to get them cheap(probly like 60 bucks) from circuit city because my bro works there n gets discount, along with anything else there. After the subs im trying not to spend too much more so im looking for something around 100 - 200 for all 4 6 1/2's. I was going to try to run them off my HU (stock one, 01 galant) so i dont worry about additional amp costs and alternator problems. Might upgrade HU later but want speakers thatll work with this HU. If anyone has any suggestions or if theres something else i could tell ya to help me better let me know! Any and all feedback appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 821
Hey Erik, the Infinity speakers are great. I personally have them. They will give you sharp mids and highs. Can't go wrong with them.
You can run them off your HU's power but it won't sound as good as external amp. If you're not going to listen to music at high volume, then it's okay. However, if you enjoy loud music, I recommend 2/4 channel amp that's 75W rms per channel at least.
Sound comparison between HU and amp is night and day.

Post Number: 2
Thanks alot Isaac, what ohm do these operate at and when using a 4chan amp what would the load be on the amp? If load on amp would be 2ohm do you think this amp would be good rated at 75x4@2ohm 150 shipped http://www.edesignaudio.com/nine4_overview.htm thats the brand im goin with for my subs + amp as well? If not have any other suggestions with price in mind? Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 249
Erik most components run at 4 ohms. I perfer tweeter that isn't as bright as the infinities. However alot of people on here really like them.
If you test them out and feel that the tweeter is to bright you might listen to a set of Boston Acoustics. They still have plenty of kick, but IMO they are not as bright over all. I looked at that amp and 50 watts rms should be fine. Isaac may be able to clarify if you do infact need more power or not.

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jeremy, what models should i look into from Boston Acoustics?

Post Number: 4
Also can anyone tell me the difference between coaxial speakers compared to component?

Silver Member

Post Number: 824
Hey Erik, 50Wx4 @4ohms is a good start. I personally recommend 75@x4 @4ohms at least. The site you listed didn't tell me much detail on the amp. However, it has the controls you need to tailor the sounds.
Coaxial speakers do not come with any crossover, where else the component does. The woofer and tweeter are separate in components. It should give you better sound quality over coaxial.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6239
If ya go Infinity get the Kappas or Kappa Perfects. Far far better than the Reference line

The Kappa Perfect 6.1 set can be had on ebay for $200 a set, NIB

Silver Member

Post Number: 826
Whoa Glasswolf, some of us are not in charge of the "family" budget... :-)
Sometimes we have to do what the female says or else no desserts!

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6245
The Kappas can be found for not too much more than the $60 he's spending on the REF speakers.
Even the Kappas are a huge step up from Reference.
I know. I've owned all three lines of 6.5" separates at one time or another.
I just wanted to offer advice that he'd be happy with down the road.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Glass, Isaac, Jeremy for allyour help!Another question i have is would i be able to wire 4 of the speakers to run the amp at 2ohm to get more power out of it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 830
Hey Erik, you can wire as many speakers as possible as long as you meet the amp's minimum ohm requirements. If the amp is 2ohms stable, then yes.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6360
Erik, if you have a two channel amp, say 50 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms, putting two speakers on the amp would give you 50 watts per speaker.
if you wire two more speakers in parallel to the amp, then each speaker will get 50 watts still.
if all 4 speakers are the same, you'd increase output by +3dB doing this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us