Archive through June 30, 2004

Anonymous

BTW, the scam is basic and relatively interesting. I learned how the "salespeople" make their money and what they are trained to say etc. My friend didn't lose sleep but I felt it was horrible. The guy who was the regional head of it all totally lied to his wife about what he did for a living. Ridiculous.

Torn apart 2810's
Unregistered guest
Alright. I look at this web posting site to check out the unfortunates who were scammed like me about once a week, and it always surprises me how many people defend these products. These speakers are barely better than the speakers that come with boom-boxes. They can handle bass, but poor responsiveness is evident. The mids are alright, but the highs are not even there. Yes, the tweeter works, but piss poor at best. I disassembled the entire 2810 and hope to download it on to a website for all to see. Totally generic. Smelled so fresh like they were put together yesterday. A weak crossover too. If the "sellers" paid more than $50 apiece, then THEY are getting ripped off. Have these people who post positive remarks ever had a "good" pair of speakers? My 10 year old Infinity's with 8" woofers sound like a dream compared to these.
How do you write a good commentary on these when you know they suck. Yes I've hooked them up. And yes I have destroyed them so I could see how crappy they really are. See you soon

Anonymous

i got sum TR-900's how much would anyone recomend attempting to sell them for on ebay

Unregistered guest
...been there, been scammed...

Bought a set of TR-2810's to resell. But it appears the true resale value is considerably less than expected.

If anyone is interested please contact:

speakers@landiscomputer.com

lateralus
Unregistered guest
I was scammed too. Never seen or heard of a scam like this before. Ah, caveat emptor. The best scam filter there is. $200, Westside of Jacksonville Florida. White SUV, two white guys in their 20's claiming to be from Gulf Coast Audio. No such business exists.

ALB
Unregistered guest
got scammed in Albany, NY, TR 7000 surround $200

joseph aramathea
Unregistered guest
Scammed in Canada - $500 for a pair and I threw in my football for good measure (he asked if he could have that too... bothered me all day long. The word gullible comes to mind, crap, The guy showed me a magazine with the suggested price of $1,000 each tore the speaker cover off and I looked at the cones and they kind of cheesy but I thought for that price, whatever!

Bronze Member
Username: Tbone

Post Number: 75
I have some "Oceanfront" property in Oklahoma if anyone is interested. I could even throught in the London Bridge as a closer.

Anonymous

LISTEN UP I GOT ME A PAIR AND THEY POUND LIKE CRAZY. DON'T PRETEND LIKE YOU GUYS DON'T THINK IT'S WORTH IT BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AMP TO POWER THESE BAD BOYS IT'S SERIOUS STUFF IM IN MONTREAL AND DAMN PPL LISTEN TO THESE AND THEY GO CRAZY
I WANT MORE SEND THEM THIS WAY.
GUYS IT'S NOT A SCAM IT'S SOMEONE SELLING GOOD SPEAKERS THATS IT
IF THEY WERE AT FUTUR SHOP YOU WOULD ALL BE AMAZED AT THE PRICE
WELL FACE IT THERE HOT

j-crip
Unregistered guest
you guys don't post a msg on the boared if you havn't connected them you babies.
use them then comment you dumb ppl

Bronze Member
Username: Tbone

OK United States

Post Number: 89
You guys drive a white van? just kidding, if they sound good to you that's great. As long as your happy with your speakers, that's all that matters right?

Unregistered guest
I bought two pairs of speakers for $300.00 If I had more money I would have bought more I intended to make money off of them myself, I haven't hooked them hook, If they sound decent and you didn't pay a lot for them, why are you complaining. Someone is in denial either they sound good or they don't.

Anonymous

Just bought a set for $120 and they are tight..know where I can get more. I challenge anyone here to find a $500 set speakers at best buys, Wal Mart, or Circuit City, or Good Guys that will sound better than this set.

Unregistered guest
Have any of you guys filed a police report? I got hooked on March 9th for $400 for TR-1120 at my college in Sacramento. I filed a report with the College Police on the 11th. I have plenty of evidence to nail these guys if the police would take a half a day to follow my clues. I have half a license plate from Nevada. I also know they used On-star at a certain time and place, they can get information that way. They are caught on camera, possibly, at a Wells Fargo Bank in a Raleys, the guy gave me his magazine, and he wrote his name (fake?) and fake number on a piece of paper that only I and he touched, so when you remove my prints from the paper it only leaves his. I'm just wondering if any body else tried get justice.

jamesbiz
Unregistered guest
i bought a pair of tr 2800s for $600 . at the time i thought i was getting a great deal and was gonna go on ebay to sell them for much more, they gave me their cell, i even let the guy drive with me to get the money, , we had a normal conversation, didn't even feel like he was ripping me off, then i get home all happy, check ebay and they sell for 200 bucks. and i was so pissed off to see that, i call the guy, he says he'll meet me somewhere at 5 after he gets done, and when i called at 5, his phone was disconnected. i had to sell the speakers for $250, lost 350 bucks, what a f*#%ing rip off . guess my stupidty caught up with me. but a little to late now, i loved the speakers tho, they were beutiful and i wish i got them at the normal price and got to keep them.

bubba
Unregistered guest
WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.!!!!! YOU MUST READ THIS!!! I live in St. Paul minnesota, and today I was appproached buy a clean cut guy in a van wanting to sell some speakers. He went through his story of how the speakers had been misorded from a local club and he wanted to sell the extra speakers. Model TR-3015. This was taking place in a gas station parking lot. Then I asked the guy if I could see them out of the box. He said ok. Now to the good part!! While inspecting the speakers the guys mobile phone rings and he strats talking on it. I then tell the guy that I would take the speakers and load them into the back of my truck. Now for the BEST PART. THE GUY THEN DRIVES AWAY FROM ME FORGETTING TO TAKE MY MONEY!!!! I NOW OWN A PAIR OF TR-3015 SPEAKERS FOR FREE!!! I HAVN'T HOOKED THEM UP BUT FOR THE PRICE(ha ha) THEY CANT BE TO BAD. WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND!! HA HA HA HA. THEY WILL BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE GARAGE.

c0nfusd1
Unregistered guest
Well today I had two guys come up to me and asked me if I would like to buy some speakers for my house, I was like ok, I really thought he was joking, but he pulled his truck over and showed me what he had, he was trying to sell me two TR-3015's for $800, I was like whatever man. So we talked for a few minutes I told him I would give him $100 for both. He was like cant do that, so he got back into the truck, then as I was walking away the driver got out and said ill sell them to you for $100, so I said ok. Right as I was putting them in my car, his phone rang, so I took advantage of that, and gave him a $50 bill with 5 ones under it. So I got them for $55, And believe me they are worth more than $55 I hooked them up when I got home and they sounded great. All these people talking about how it is a scam. I really dont think so, This guys are just trying to make some extra money, So i would take advantage of the cheap price.

Unregistered guest
Hey same here in AZ. Got hit today on my way home from work. Bought a 5.1 surround system. I hooked up the sub and it does sound decent but not the great deal I thought I was getting. So I guess I'm an idiot too(lol). It seems that some people on here like the way these speakers sound and if any of you are interested, send me an email and make me an offer. I paid $400 for the tr-7000's. Thanks, Scott

Unregistered guest
I understand the whole deal with these speakers and how they are "junk" so to speak, but if I could purchase a TR-8200 surround sound system for 100 bucks is it worth it? I figure the biggest POS would cost me more than 100 right? Any input?

Anonymous

Don't be a sucker! The good reviews for these speakers were posted from the guys selling them. Take a look at the message posted by CDDRUMMERGO. Obvious isn't it?

Username: Canigetabuck

Post Number: 1
I just bought a pair of TR-1100. I havent tried them out yet, because my recieveer is not good enough, but im sure they sound Ok. If anyone wants to buy i'm willing to sell for cheap. I bought them for 4 bills, but i really need money to pay for books for college. Please post your message asap

lateralus
Unregistered guest
How can we get this company shut down? Theater Research and Dogg Digital Audio are most deserving. Just look at the box the speakers come in. It says "The manufacturers suggested retail price does not reflect the selling price in the metro trading area". That statement alone says the company knows they are bull$#*$ing us. I guess the best way is just to tell all of your friends and family. Just say you heard about a scam on the news or something in case you need to save dignity.
BTW, the better business bureau can't do much, and the local police can't do anything unless you have information on these guys. Even then the best they can do is check if they have a small business license. They probably do.

Unregistered guest
Yep another one down I got approached by this guy and girl on a gold Tahoe, He said the classic storie of overstock and boss telling them to sell the theater systems. I bought the TR-6010 for 3 bills man. This guy really got me he gave me his cell phone number and the 1 year warranty code, I don't even know if their real! I got screwed here in Palatine Illinois.

Unregistered guest
If you look on the back of the subs, they say "Dual Voicecoil"...but they only have ONE VOICE COIL!!! I got ripped off too, in a parking lot. Took'em to my local sound dealer...they said they're both worth about $15....

Unregistered guest
As I said, I got suckered too....Bought 2 12 inch car audio subwoofers in Brooksville, FL....one works fine, the other one I accidentaly blew....so if any of yall want my other one, make me an offer....

Anonymous

How anyone would buy something from some loser off the back of a truck - I don't get it. Stupid.

Username: Canigetabuck

Post Number: 2
again, if you live in the Los angeles/Hollywood area and are interested in buying some of these speakers, please mmake an offer. I really need money for books. If you want you can even test them out before you buy them so theres no reason to worry about the quality. just about any offer would be reasonable. I'm just trying to cover my college costs, at first i wanted to make aprofit from them but i soon realized that i couldn't, so if anyone is interested please post or e mail to da_illest_1@msn.com

Fuper
Unregistered guest
it seems everyone in here is basically in a debate of whether these speakers are in fact worth the few hundred dollars you paid for them. But if your buying speakers out of a van in a parking lot the chances of everyone across the country getting the same speakers is pretty low. People who feel they bought crappy speakers probably did. Even though they all said TR on them and the model numbers match they probably all didnt come from the same place. The people who got scammed probalby bought cheap knockoffs, the people who got a deal probably bought stolen speakers. The idea that all of these salesmen are somehow connnected and selling the same thing because the vehicles used and product is similar is stupid. If your in the position to pay 200 bucks for a pair of speakers and dont know anything about home audio dont. If you are somewhat knowledgeable about speakers then you could probably tell if they are worth the 200 dollars. Just use your head and you might get a great pair of speakers for a good price, or you might get dicked. Its your call.

Fuper
Unregistered guest
it seems everyone in here is basically in a debate of whether these speakers are in fact worth the few hundred dollars you paid for them. But if your buying speakers out of a van in a parking lot the chances of everyone across the country getting the same speakers is pretty low. People who feel they bought crappy speakers probably did. Even though they all said TR on them and the model numbers match they probably all didnt come from the same place. The people who got scammed probalby bought cheap knockoffs, the people who got a deal probably bought stolen speakers. The idea that all of these salesmen are somehow connnected and selling the same thing because the vehicles used and product is similar is stupid. If your in the position to pay 200 bucks for a pair of speakers and dont know anything about home audio dont. If you are somewhat knowledgeable about speakers then you could probably tell if they are worth the 200 dollars. Just use your head and you might get a great pair of speakers for a good price, or you might get dicked. Its your call.

fuper
Unregistered guest
after my last post (which i did twice on accident) i decided to do a little more research on theater research. I found multiple forums with stories just like this. When i went to the website i called the phone number for warranty claims and got what sounded like someones cell phone voice mail, not a corporate answering macine. So maybe this TR company really is in on some big scam in parking lots, crazy to think of though. Either way, a few of my friends bought a pair of speakers in a parking lot here in michigan for about 200 bones. Although i have yet to listen to them and am not sure if they are TR's, i hear they sound pretty good.

Anonymous

I got hit in Montreal today!

Man, I have to say the two little fucks were good!

Anonymous

Roomate just bought 2 TR-900's and the full 6speaker surround sound system for $600 at a gas station here in Austin, TX We are going to take the speakers out tonight I'll keep you posted

bbeeez
Unregistered guest
yep, BS.... crap speakers all around - Austin, tx

Username: Illfaded

Post Number: 5
lol in the first place why would u wanna buy speakers out of a trunk? u know its rig some how.. its like a crack dealer selling u crack straight up... even tho its cheap dont get it.. u dont know what happends to them... if i was you.. ill make friends that work for the car system company lol.. haha thats how u get em cheap or free

eBayBidder
Unregistered guest
Is the whole TR brand a scam or is it just these a**holes in parking lots? I bid on some on ebay before I saw all this s*it. Oh well, even if it is a scam, I'll only be out $12.50

Anonymous

And now selling in Calgary, Alberta!!!

Unfortunately, the "salesperson" talked my very trusting, underaged son into purchasing speakers from his trunk.

There were, at least, some speakers in the box. He paid $300CA for TR5140's. We haven't yet determined if they actually work.

My son considers it a lesson learned. The cops said there is nothing they can do; the "salesperson's" vehicle's licence plate is not on any list and the speakers aren't reported as stolen.

Interesting marketing.....in parking lots to gullible minors.

Dunno In OKLAHOMA
Unregistered guest
Got hit in Ponca City,Ok by some guys in parkin lot paid $320 for the speakers in box with neon lights. one came up gave me the lines bout haven extra. Showed me what they had told em i couldnt give them much for them. the guy got back in his vehicle and came back said ok but add 20 more for beer and i thought ok. So later that nite i found this site and so i dunno if i should find an amp or jus try to get somethin for them. Aynone who has an idea say so. .... should a knew it was a scam but more thought they were stolen... and ya do kinda get a rush thinkin bout it but still my bad ya live ya learn.. but they were persistent so persistent one of them went into the bank with me. More than likely got taken My bad or is it we'll find out ????

Web site
Unregistered guest
check their web site out

http://www.trtheaterresearch.com/

Thanks

mike dubley
Unregistered guest
they hit weatherford TX a little hickass town outside of fort worth. f*ck those f*ckers. i thought they were cops at first so of course i was hesitent to buy them. but this little basterd he was persistant. so i ask how much and all that stuff. realizing that its a scam i said f*ck off and left. came home and looked it up on the internet. and found these reviews. thank u guys u saved me life lol

Anonymous

It is a bullshit scam. They only have websites to validate their prices and make a loophole to avoid prosecution. They still need to be busted. Here is some contact info.. could be fake though but a whois lookup on their website gave me this. At least make some prank calls

trtheaterresearch (KQDNFAKKKO) doggdigital@aol.com
5451 Commercial Drive
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
US
714-894-5888

Technical Contact:
Hunt, Randy (RH5285) randy@ISLANDBREEZE.COM
1141 POMONA RD STE D
CORONA, CA 92882-7148
US
909.737.5264 fax: 909.737.2887

Username: Gatorz83

West palm beach, CA Usa

Two guys came up to me at the bank and asked if i wanted to buy some speakers to. They said they retailed for 2499 i knew that was bullshit. But i talked the guy down to a 100 dollars for the tr-7000 home theater system and i have to tell i am inpressed it sounds really good. I never told my friend how much i paid and he offered my 300 dollars for the system. I say i got my moneys worth and i would buy another one if i could and sell it for that price to my friend. Very hi quality love the systme

Unregistered guest
I just got hit by two guys in a Silver Van in St. Peters, MO. They were two super hyperactive white boys, one was pretty built, and the other was tall and a little pudgy. Said they were out of Schumberg, and on a "zero return," something about they can't come back with anything.

I almost said no and got into my car, but I'm a naturaly curious person. As a salesman myself, I will give credit where credit is due, their pitch was perfect. They said they can't keep them because they live near Chicago, and they don't cary any cash just a gas card, so they can only go back to the office, otherwise they'd keep them theirselves. They said look these speakers retail for $2 grand, make me an offer, but don't insult, me. I said i could give em $200, then they said ok, but you're not going to sell these on Ebay or anything are you, because we could sell these for alot more" They made it seem as though I was ripping them off, and was like, "its ok, just buy us some beer if you see us in town again, we'll be comming to St. Louis alot"

I wasn't even thinking about turning a profit, i just wanted speakers, but when he said that, I was sold because I thought I could sell them.

I felt pretty good about the buy until on the way home i saw a label on the box that said:

"Specifications subject to change without
notice. manufacturer's suggested retail
price and model # are for identification
purposes only. Suggested retail price does
not represent a bonafide selling price in a
metro trading area"

I saw that and thought wtf, did I get scammed. So i called a friend of mine that knows all about sound systems, he never heard of "theater research." but told me to take the speakers apart and look at how big the Magnet is. I took it apart and they were a good size, roughly 5" wide and 1" thick. I hooked them up and they sound fine.

I should have known right away that it was a pitch when I saw $999 retail price on the box..I've never seen speakers cost that much. But its all good, they sound great and look very nice.

I'm not dissapointed in the product, but I feel stupid for falling for the story. If anyone gets approached by these guys, you can easily jew em down. Considering my experience and all of the above posts, I would imagine they won't walk away from an offer.

Bottom line, good stuff, worth the money, even came with a warranty card. I am curious though, what the True wholesale cost of these are and how much cut these guys are getting. I bet this an MLM company. For these guys sake, I hope they aren't brainwashed like the people selling imitation perfumes outside of the grocery store.

Blast
Unregistered guest
It just happened to me right now.. i bought them for 200 dollars in Boston two guys came up to me saying that they were worth $1500...

anononetwothree
Unregistered guest
F.uck! I got ripped off yesterday. The same s/hit, a guy in a van that was delivering to Ultimate Electronics and had an extra pair of TR-0212. I called Ultim. Elec. and they didn't sell them and didn't know where they did sell them. I thought I was getting the deal of a life time, $260 for a pair of $2000 speakers. I hooked them up to my home stereo. They sound ok, but can't handle bass very well, they start crackling and sh.it if you turn em up too much, and my stereo is only 150 watts per channel and these speakers are supposed to be 400 w RMS, BULLS.HIT! They are more like 45 w RMS. I should of known by that cheap as.s horn tweeter on the top. Its been years since I've even seen a tweeter like that. So for all of you people who got screwed, sorry, and don't feel bad, your not alone. And your not stupid, I have alot of stereo equip and alot of top notch sh.it and I still fell for it. And don't listen to those other posts about people not knowing what their talking about, their full of sh.it. If the speaker can't handle 150 watts, its gonna blow if you pump the suggested 400 watts. If you do have them don't put them too close to your TV cause the box insn't magnetically shielded at all, you'll fuc.k up the color on your TV. Also I took them apart and looked at the magnets, cheesey! They are that ancient kind of magnet that comes in Radio Shack brand speakers. I have 10" woofers in my car with magnets 4 X the size of the 12" woofer magnets in the TR's. And I only paid $200 a piece for those from custom sounds and they are JL audio. If you got screwed too, don't go out and buy a bigger stereo just for these speakers because you'll only blow them. If you have a low wattage system, keep them hooked up to that cause thats all they will handle. If I see that guy again Im gonna kick the sh.it out of him. Oh and Im from St.Louis so they are here too. Some people selling out of their cars have good stuff sometiimes, but if its ridiculously too good to be true (like Theater Research) then it probably is. Anyway, if you put 400 true watts thru them I wouldn't bet on them lasting longer than an hour. But 100 W or less you might be able to keep them awhile. If you want speakers some good brands are BOSE, INFINTY, SOUNDSTREAM, JL AUDIO, MTX IS OK, CERWIN VEGA IS OK, If you want good speakers, you gotta pay for em, or buy them stolen, which I don't have a problem with, but some of you might. Good luck out there and watch out for that f.ucking van!

Anonymous

I can't even put into words how full of BS this TR product is...If you read the manual and even check out the website trtheaterresearch.com you can see that this is a high-tech con. My brother gave me the TR-6010 speakers as a gift and he thinks he got a deal by paying $180. By reading the phony 3page owner's manual (in its entirety) I could tell by all the typos and errors that this deal was a crock. I feel bad for my bro but I learned a lesson I won't forget. My husband priced some home theater systems and my brother would have been better off getting us a $200 theater system (any brand) from any store and it would have included speakers and receiver. Oh and the "700 Watts Total System Power" is a %#$$^%^ing lie. We also have a Pioneer 600 watt system and in comparison, the Theater Research speakers don't have anywhere near the watts that it claims. They sound o.k. but I would have got 40 a 40 or 50 dollar boom box and connected to my T.V. if I wanted to hear o.k. sounds. If the system says its 700 watts-- then thats what I want to hear. I agree that these white van salesmen should be honest about what they are selling and let the buyer determine whether they want the product or not. You should not be forced to settle for less that what you believed you were paying for. There are a lot of crooks, cons, scams, or whatever you want to call it so my advice is to go with your first instinct and keep your money in your pocket. You never know what you're gonna get when you buy products off the streets. At least if you buy from a store (markups or not) you know you can return it if you don't like it.

dontfall4it
Unregistered guest
I can't even put into words how full of BS this TR product is...If you read the manual and even check out the website trtheaterresearch.com you can see that this is a high-tech con. My brother gave me the TR-6010 speakers as a gift and he thinks he got a deal by paying $180. By reading the phony 3page owner's manual (in its entirety) I could tell by all the typos and errors that this deal was a crock. I feel bad for my bro but I learned a lesson I won't forget. My husband priced some home theater systems and my brother would have been better off getting us a $200 theater system (any brand) from any store and it would have included speakers and receiver. Oh and the "700 Watts Total System Power" is a %#$$^%^ing lie. We also have a Pioneer 600 watt system and in comparison, the Theater Research speakers don't have anywhere near the watts that it claims. They sound o.k. but I would have got 40 a 40 or 50 dollar boom box and connected to my T.V. if I wanted to hear o.k. sounds. If the system says its 700 watts-- then thats what I want to hear. I agree that these white van salesmen should be honest about what they are selling and let the buyer determine whether they want the product or not. You should not be forced to settle for less that what you believed you were paying for. There are a lot of crooks, cons, scams, or whatever you want to call it so my advice is to go with your first instinct and keep your money in your pocket. You never know what you're gonna get when you buy products off the streets. At least if you buy from a store (markups or not) you know you can return it if you don't like it.

Username: Michel_harvey

j,ai acheter dans rue 1 set tr-5140 500.00
et je trouve que ca va tres bien

anon1234
Unregistered guest
Just fell for the same scam this aftertoon in Sacramento, although my story has a fun twist. I paid $150 for a pair of TR-900's outa the back of some guy's SUV. I got them home and before I even hooked them up, I hopped on the internet to check things out (I had a feeling it was a scam when I made the purchase, but it was only $150 and I decided to take a chance). Sure enough, this is the first website I come across. So I cruise back to the mall where I was suckered, and ya know what...there's the same guy selling more speakers. So I tell the guy he can either give me back my $150, or I'm calling the cops. He responds by telling me I "better hope I've got a full tank of gas" and jumps in his car and takes off. So I start to follow and call the Sacramento P.D. I spend the next 25 minutes following this guy around, relaying my info to the dispatch. Then the guy freaks out and starts to pull some crazy manuevers, cutting people off. Thats when I decide to pull back cause I didnt want anyone else to get hurt. He ended up running a red light and I lost him before the cops ever showed up. That story, along with my low-end speakers, makes the $150 not sting too much.

DWAIN VEADER
Unregistered guest
THEY HIT RHODE ISLAND.
SAME STORY LINE... VAN,MONEY FOR STRIP CLUB, MAGAZINE ADD TO SUPPORT PRICE, ETC.

ENDED UP PAYING $400 FOR THE 3 PIECE SYSTEM THAT INCLUDES THE SURROUND SYSTEM TR-7000BK AND TWO SPEAKERS TR-2810 BK.

NOT SURE HOW THE QUALITY WILL BE BUT I SUSPECT NOT TOP OF THE LINE.

I DON'T FEEL SO BAD ABOUT HAVING PAID THIS MUCH FOR THE EQUIPMENT ITSELF. I JUST HATE IT BECAUSE I WAS NOT REALLY LOOKING FOR A SURROUND SYSTEM RIGHT NOW. I ONLY BOUGHT IT BECAUSE I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING THIS GREAT DEAL DUE TO THEIR THEFT!

THEN AGAIN I AM IN THE MORTGAGE BUSINESS AND MAKE ABOUT $300,000 PER YEAR RIPPING PEOPLE OFF ANYWAYS SO I GUESS WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

DWAIN VEADER.

kevin stykes
Unregistered guest
Regarding the Theater Research Scam.

I have tested some of the equipment.

The TR2810 speakers are worth approximately $35 each.

The surround sound system should have a market price of about $99.

Anonymous

I just got ripped off in Cleveland, didn't know much about the brand, but figured $200.00 wasn't much of a risk. I haven't hooked them up yet, but I guess I'll have to take this as a lesson learned the hard way.
Also, being one of Ohio's newest members of the "concealed carry" law, I'm looking forward to running into these two punks in the white van again!
Look for a white Ford cargo van, Pa. license plate # YNG 0001 rented from Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

Hady
Unregistered guest
It seems that most you have bought your Theater Research systems from the bad crooks. Fortunately, I got mine from the "honest" ones in LA. Got me a TR-8010 and a pair of TR-1100's. Hooked it all up to my Denon 90 watt/channel receiver. Let me say that it sounds like I'm in the f*cking movie! Best thing I ever got for my money, and I paid about $350.

suckers
Unregistered guest
Anyone want to buy some land in Jersey??? How about in Iraq??? Come on people, seems like most of you guys bought them from a back of an SUV, by a pair of shady characters trying to support their crack habbit. Research people!!! The internet has alot of info I.E. this forum. I know it sounds like a great deal on ebay or the back of an SUV, but spend the money and buy a decent system.
P.S. Please send a donation to the I-got-screwed foundation. You never know you might get some money back. SEE-YA!!!

anonymous400
Unregistered guest
I got hit in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Reno, NV. I got home and hooked'em up to my receiver, best 260 dollars I've ever spent on Speakers, they're the TR900's, and the midbass is great. they pair up awesome with my sub. The only thing that I can say is, hope I see-em again cuz I'm gettin another pair.

lucky
Unregistered guest
i bought two sets of surround/center speakers priced $1999 i paid $50 a box , i had jbl n24II and this "rip=off" speakers sound better regarding highs and mids, no distortion at all
i have onkyo tx nr900 so i just got mysel a new set of 6.1, i have two jbl pbs12powered subs

lateralus876
Unregistered guest
Who do these people think they are kidding when they say these speakers are good? Any ear worth it's weight in wax can hear that TR speakers can barely handle the bass and have matte highrange.

Seriously, is there anyone, anywhere who has any doubt whether or not they are any good? If so, just go read the statements on the boxes. Why would a company say their advertised values can change any minute? They must have a poor engineering department.

It is one thing to be taken by some punks out of a van, but another to try and mislead people with bogus reports of how "great" these systems are. Get a real job and do some good for this planet.

mobilebeat
Unregistered guest
These scammers got me too, but for only $90. They looked like they were desperate for their next fix, so I talked them down to what I had in my wallet, which was only $90. I then sold the speakers on ebay for $340.00. They are Theater Research with Gold Cones and a horn on top. Nice looking but they are defintely China made speakers. But for having sold them on ebay for more money, I don't feel so bad about getting taken so to speak, even if I only paid $90. Not bad if you ask me. Beware of these scammers, they have been around since the 80's from what I have heard.

Rushyyz
Unregistered guest
I got a pair of tr1100 for 175$ out of a van today..I put them in my bedroom..They dont sound all bad...They are not worth 1500$ each nor even 500 each..but they crank ok for the bedroom...

Anonymous

My friend just got scammed, for 800 for 2 towers 3 surround and the sub. He didn't hook them up but I knew it was a scam when he told me. This kid always blows his money, he even called me up when he got them and was so excited I just played along with him. I didn't want to tell him he just got scammed but I guess i'll have to tell him soon.

Anonymous

The scammers have hit Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada. Had two young kids walk into our electronics retail store and ask us about "TR" spkrs. One of our more experienced salespersons let them know that this was a scam and showed them this website on the internet. Please people... use your heads. Don't let the little one make the decision for you. We all get hard when the "deal" of the century comes our way. However, we must listen to that little voice that says don't do it! Anyone who falls for this scam, deserves every thing coming to them. Those of you who really feel that you didn't get ripped off, need to do some soul searching. As a retailer of entry level to high end speakers, we find that an uneducated consumer is the one meant to own speakers of this quality. Anything sounds great to them. I could stand beside them with a kazoo, and make armpit noises and they would say it is worth spending money on it.

Seek out the best retailers and have them explain why spending your hard earned money at a reputable outlet is so very important. Oh... and P.S. Visions Rules!

Anonymous

they got me for the surround sound box i paid 100 bucks , it works fine did I get scammed?

Anonymous

I don't think I have ever felt so low in my life untill I was hit up by these guys. I was driving around when a buddy of mine called and told me he meet these guys in a white van with some good speakers. Being in a band, I got excited and jump at the chance. I meet up with the 2 guys, said they would sell be 2 2500 series for 800. I didnt have the cash. Told em I had 450 and thats it. they took the offer and I got my speakers. realizing what I just done, I called em back to get my money back. Eventually I never meet up with the guys again and I havnt hooked up the speakers in fear that they will crackle and blow. Figure I will sell em on e-bay to someone that really wants em.

samindallas
Unregistered guest
They are in Dallas I was offered 4 TR1610 speakers for $200 and I refused did I miss out a great deal ????

potatostate
Unregistered guest
ATTENTION ALL TR SPEAKER BUYERS!TROUBLED BUYERS: "LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED!" YOU GOT A GREAT DEAL!

I WAS hit just like all the rest of you but listen: TR might be guilty of selling speakers in a way that doesn't have "integrity" written all over it, but have you listened to them?! I bought the two towers and (because I was suspicious) I got his phone number. I later called him to purchase the surround system. I've got a 6.1 receiver with the two towers serving as the front speakers while the surround system I use for extra base, Middle front and rear, and rear right/left. My system sounds Phenominal! I use it for my computer, (hooked up to my 50" lcd)my xbox, gamecube, and dvd. I was pissed at first but I have never heard of speakers with this quality for the $400 bucks I paid for these. I wish I still had the dudes phone number cuz I've got a few friends who want my setup who are very envious! I'm about to check out ebay on these mutha's. later!

Unregistered guest
Me and my buddies got stopped by two dudes in a white astro van in Tallahassee. Same story...company invoice, extra box, magazine ad, can't take 'em home. He said they cost $2500 and would give them to us for $400. We talked him down to $150. He said that they were "Bose" speakers, so I said lemme see 'em, and of course they said TR on them. So since they weren't Bose we didn't buy them and the guy got pissed.

lafayette louisiana
Unregistered guest
got stoped in a store in lafayette louisiana . same story too much and had to get rid of it . the speakers sound good - great highs but the sub aint sh@t , later

Unregistered guest
i'm shocked and don't know what to think. They got me in new bedford mass today. Starting at $600 for the 2810s got them for $250 will hook them up in the morning and let you know what i think.
same "scam" they had extra pair. my wife thinks their beutiful and is excited. they needed the dough to go to the foxy lady.

Anonymous

Suckers! Keep buying the cr@p and I'll keep sellin' this sh#t. There is certainly one born every minute and that's why I'm a rich bast@rd. I find that even with all this negative feedback, there are always people who want to form their own opinion. Thanks to all of you who give me your hard-earned money. I'll keep spending it!

Cory
Unregistered guest
i've had them for about a month now and they were soundin pretty straight till i put a bigger amp on them, then they blew, but i still got the box which looks alright, Tampa Fl

Anonymous

You guys realize these speakers are probably stolen...

lateralus876
Unregistered guest
No, these speakers are not likely stolen although in some cases they may be. TR and Dogg Digital Audio (one in the same) hide behind legal loopholes to help "authenticate" their speakers, but they do manufacture these cheap imitation speakers.

plumbing
Unregistered guest
Bought Speakers for American Sound Systems. Semmed too good to be true. They are located at 8342 State Rd in Philadelphia, PA. Their phone number is 215-335-1860. Haven't hooked them up but after reading everything I have they are probably junk. Everyone taken should file complaint with Better Business Bureau or take matters into their own hands by going to their address. This is definitely where they are at.

Anonymous

I have a feeling that these shady guys are going to cross the wrong person sooner or later and get what's coming to them. It's inevitable.

muffdiver
Unregistered guest
any more comments...? i dont think weve got this one sorted out yet!

stlkid
Unregistered guest
Haha, oh man, I thought I'd never find anyone who knew anything about this! About a year ago I was running into Best Buy to pick up a CD when some guy asked me if I was interested in buying some speakers. Being a dumb 19 year old kid who loves a nice soundsystem, of course I listened to what he had to say. He said that he worked for a company that installed speakers in movie theaters. He told me that his company was going to install some speakers in a local movie theater not too far from my house, and the order got messed up. He said that instead of receiving 4 PIECES, they received 4 PAIR of speakers, and the goof up was overlooked and they weren't charged for the extra speakers. The guy showed me the catalog and everything and the sealed boxes that matched the catalog description. List price was $999.99, but he first offered around $800 for the pair. Of course I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a shady deal like that, so he quickly dropped his price down to $200 for the pair. With butterflies in my stomach I went home and opened the box. Luckily to my surprise I hadn't just paid 200 bucks for a box of rocks. I hooked them up to my receiver at home and was thrilled that I had just made the deal of a century. I couldn't find any information on the internet about them at the time, but was glad that the speakers were very nice. If anyone knows what the deal with this is please let me know. I'm guessing it's illegal, but they sold me a quality product at a very low price, and now that I've found information about them I'm wondering what the deal is.
St. Louis

Chris91
Unregistered guest
i bought some TR speakers about 2 months ago from 2 guys in a van in Windsor Ontario Canada same story as everyone else i have them hooked up to a half decent reciever and so far they sond alright but i havent hooked them up to a good amp yet, im kinda wondering if i should try.

Bnutz
Unregistered guest
They're in Chicago. Two guys, white van, yada, yada, yada. I don't really know what to say, just glad that I only paid 200 for them. Got them home and hooked them to my Pioneer VSX and I've got to admit, they are banging. I've got the TR-2810 and they are humping. The same system blew up one of the Pioneer 12s that came with it so it ain't no punk, but the TRs are handling it. We'll see what happens when I hook them to my Optimus pro amp. Its been on the shelf because it blows up everything, including JBLs and Bose. A duece for a good set of speakers ain't bad. If I did get scammed it was my own fault. So y'all keep arguing, I'll be listening to my music trying to get my 200 dollars work. Peace from Chi-town

Username: Motorpotor

Some guy offered to trade me his TR-900's for my Panasonic MiniDv camcorder. should I do it?

sky king
Unregistered guest
Same scam in Eau Claire Wisconsin. 2 guys, tan mini van. I bought 2 tr1610's for $200. They sound all right but not the great deal these jerks made me believe.

Anonymous

Seen these guys who approached me with the same scam everyone else has seen. As a matter of fact I've seen them before, about 2 years ago and knew what the "real" deal was (different guys- same scam). So I didn't even try to talk the guys down on the price but insisted I could only pay with a check. How could the greedy boy turn it down? Well, he didn't. LMAO.. I got my goods, went straight to the bank to cancel the check. Score one for the good guys!! lmao... Funny thing is he never tried to get the speakers back. I wonder why? Not the best system in the world, but a great deal for paying nothing. I just wanted to thank the guy\guys who are running this scam. Thanks for the free system!!!LMAO

Kalamazoo
Unregistered guest
They're in Michigan, Kalamazoo to be exact. I was at a Harding's lot (grocery)today and bought some 2800s for $300. Wish I had internet access at that time... I hooked em up to my Onkyo receiver and they sound ok, not high end. They actually sound pretty good with my sub behind them. Like many others, I felt that I could sell them for more than I bought them for. They were in a tan/brown Chevy Express conversion van from Illinois. Same stories as above, amazing to hear the consistency behind it. He gave me a receipt saying:

Premiere Audio Technologies

PO Box 1333 Addison, IL 60101

Name was Mike P.

Kulangot
Unregistered guest
They are now all-over E-Bay. Just browse under "Consumer Electronics" under "Speaker" and you will see them

Maxis
Unregistered guest
Real sad story here. i was on my way to target and these two caucazoids pop up...."like dude yada yada extra speakers to many were loaded into the van and that these were same ones kobi and shaq had they even showed me a purchase order w/ shaq's name on it ....i was like all right so i shelved out 600 bucks for 2 1100 towers and 1 2800 sorround sound system .....i thought i got the deal of the century ....now i know that these are some good con artists...i hope that i can find away to get this company back ....somehow...i feel mollested...or at least my wallet does...i haven't hooked them up yet...but i saw a link to the website and they have an address and phone # tel;(949)355-6008 and address is 3419 Via Lido,suite#249 Newport Beach,CA 92663 by the way i was in eagle rock california when this ripoff happened....i want to hurt some one so bad now if i ever get approached again i will track these dudes and find out where and how they work so that i can turn them in to the better business beurau

Maxis
Unregistered guest
What happened to my post...does it post up right away or does take a while anyways the guys in the vans are con artists

Anonymous

Hey, just like you guys, I got hit too. I was drivin down the street actually, when one guy in a brown van pulled up to me and started talkin about these really cool digital somthin something speakers he had, and how the company messed up and loaded up too many, but they were all paid for and he had the invoice and everything. Even had that metal receipt box thingy you see UPS people carry and stuff. Anyways, I told him I didn't have anything on me, so we went to the bank, and THANK GOD it only let me pull out $300! So he said next time he's in town I should buy him some beer. (Must be in their lil shpeal when they get their training.) Anyways, I gotta compliment the salesman, he was really really good, suckered me right in, especially when he asked me not to turn around and go selling them for more. Super-friendly, so I felt a little less weary, oh, and he showed me the magazine he had too. I told him that I had never even heard of the company, but he said that's because it's the "professional" stuff, that TR only sells to Theaters, and not everyday customers. Anyways, unlike a lot of people here, I "DID" hook em up, and for me, well they sound pretty tight, except the base ain't sh.t though. Bought a pair of TR-0412's, not even on the sight, although I found em on E-bay. Oh yea, one more thing, I offered him a check too, and he said that he couldn't accept it or something. Shoulda've looked at all the warning signs, feel like a real dummy, and will probably never buy anything from someone's vehicle again. Later.

Anonymous

Oh, by the way, they're in Cleveland Ohio now.

Jerrywashere
Unregistered guest
Ok, ok, ok......this is hilarious...I'm driving home feeling badly about buying these speakers that some poor sap has just taken a drilling on only to get home and do my little web research and find out "I" am the one that is the "poor sap" <laughs> ...I bought a pair of TR-2800's for $100 each and after reading all of this thread I see that I got a pretty decent deal. Not as good as the guy that wrote and then cancelled his check, but a good deal never-the-less. I connected them up and they actually sound great and look great too. I feel so much better knowing now that I didn't rip someone off but I suppose I need a little integrity check because to be honest I figured I was buying stolen stuff. Oh, by the way, this is in Beaumont Texas.

JDS
Unregistered guest
Gainesville, Georgia: I was approached outside of a Cingular Wireless store. A guy and a girl in a gold Chevy Tahoe. They had SounDivision polo shirts on. Gave me the whole spill, except their reasons for selling were this: They said that when they work overtime or travel outside of the Atlanta area, they get an 'overtime voucher' which is only good for merchandise. So they have all these systems to their name, which were already signed for. So any money they can sell them for is straight profit for them. Well, of course, I thought to myself this was a shady deal, but it all started happening to fast. I ended up buying a TR-8200 for $300. He followed me to the bank. I gave him some cash, but also wrote a check for a portion of it. When I got home, the unit wasn't what I thought. I decided to contact the cell phone # he gave me (which I called from the parking lot, and his phone did ring), but there was no answer. Deciding to investigate further, I got online and looked for SounDivision. The address on the receipt they gave me is 31500 Grape Street, Suite 3, #244, Lake Elsinore, GA 32532. After doing a reverse phone search, there was no result. So I did a search and found out that there is a shopping center at 31500 Grape Street with a chinese restaurant and The UPS store. I called the chinese restaurant and asked if there was a SounDivision store in their shopping center, they said no. So I called area code 909 information and asked the operator for their phone number. She could not find one. I asked her to search by address, and she came up with the same stuff I did -- a chinese restaurant and The UPS store. So I did a search for their "local address" -- no such luck. So now, back to my payment, here's where it gets interesting. After figuring out they were a scam, I notified my back and placed a stop-payment on my check. If they are somewhat legit, I imagine they'll either want their money or their product back. I would be happy to oblige. I haven't tested the speakers yet; I don't have a receiver to use. I was led to believe this was a self-powered unit. Tomorrow I am contacting the Georgia Attorney General's office, the BBB, the Hall Co. Sherriff's Dept, the Fulton Co. Sherriff's Dept, and the Riverside Co, Calif. Sherriff's Dept. We'll see if this gets anywhere. I'll be sure to post any results I have. Let's catch these guys. Even if they're legit, this is a shady way to do business, and I'm sure they're doing something illegal.

NicholasOregon
Unregistered guest
Looks like their in Portland, Oregon, just bought a 5 set system TR8200 for $150. Haven't hooked them up yet, but I'm sure they will not sound anywhere near a Bose system. Gave me his number and asked if I could hook him up with beers etc. Said his buddy each needed money for the strip bars etc and later and he's supposed to call me back tomorrow some time to get another $100 if I really like the system. Wish I would have come home first and researched the speakers online. Oh well, maybe my parents will want them!

Bronze Member
Username: Rswan

Post Number: 90
these d!cks are everywhere. i live near Los Angeles and i see these guys all the time. they try to say that they have extra speakers left over or that they have to sell them in order to get paid not matter if its a loss or not. all these guys do is buy speakers at wholesale prices then they try to sell them on the streets making you beleive what ever there story is for the day. the products might be decent stuff but you are buying them from a street vendor. you dont get a warrant, if the speakers get damaged you have to pay out of your pocket to have some guy fix them. anyway you look at it its a scam and dont do it. dont be the dumb a$$ that puts money in these f@ckers wallets

Anonymous

yo im from peoria IL to everything turns on but i get no sound!! every time i call ther number its either answering machine or busy it was busy signal for 5 hours im pissed

Anonymous

God damn it I was taken too. Long Beach, CA. Oh well, I was in the market for new speakers anyway, and these brand new TR-6010 should do the trick.

Anonymous

I just sent an e-mail to the better business bureau and not only did i let them know about all our misfortunes....but when they read this forum they might feel some reason for taking action....i hope that all of you make the same effort so that these guys can go down...one more thing....does any one know about these companies whether they are legit or not?
1. Aquaswiss watches
2. Adee Kaye watches
3. Chevrolet Watches
I already know that Theater Reaserch is a bad company...so keep your eyes open people and see if we can catch some of these guys in vans and report them to the better business bureau....

Sincerely,
Your resident whistle blower

Maxis
Unregistered guest
I wonder how many people have bought these and don't even know that they got ripped off...i am sure that its in the hundreds of thousands....man this Theater research company must be making millions...all without paying taxes....wait till the better business bereau catches them...and turns them over to the feds....boy will they be in trouble...i bet they will even do jail time...and i bet that it will be in the news because they will want anyone who has such speakers to testify or to contact them....I hope it's soon....by the way i just posted the previous message so read it and contact the better business bureau.

Maxis
Unregistered guest
P.S. Thank god for such a unselfish, and generous website because they offer us the chance to warn others and spread the word...

Thanks alot to Ecoustics.com.
Sincerely,
Max

Anonymous

They're in DALLAS now! Same story as everyone else! 2 guys in a white Explorer. Why are all the vehicles white? Anyway, they gave me the same story of too much stuff by accident...offered me a choice of three different systems. After much debate, I eventually got a pair of the TR-1100's for $160. I wouldn't normally do anything like this, but I figured, what the heck. I emailed someone at the Theater Research website complaining about the way their company does business. SO freaking shady! Hopefully they sound allright! But, if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't do it. Too much stress over some damn speakers!

Anonymous

bought a pair in san diego. hooked them up to my jvc reciver. ive put all the power it has to them and they sound awsome. got mine for 200, hope you have an oppertunity to get some.

goddamnit
Unregistered guest
F***ing A$$holes, cant believe i fell for it, If it happens again , I will kill him!

Username: Enmityjack

Newport Beach, CA USA

These speakers are a scam, but they don't sound bad. You can buy them on a website directly at www.speaker-city.com

They have pretty good prices!!

Username: Unishinobi

United States

WOW! Man, I would almost want to dump these speakers if they weren't for free! Well, a friend just gave me two pairs of these speakers (tr1500 and tr2500). From reading this forum I do not know how good they will be. But does any one know what receiver and cables I should use for these? I am new to the home theater realm. I think they have what is called the banana type inputs but I am not for sure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us