Just a couple basic questions...

Username: Lostnconfused

Far Far Away, I Forgot USA

Post Number: 10
1. What is the purpose of/what should my subsonic filter be set to?

2. What range is best for the LPF when listening to metal?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 693
Hey Mallory, for the subsonic filter, it's usually set around 20hz. Anything below this, you won't be able to hear. If you haven't experienced any subwoofer movement problem, then you can either set it at default, or turned off.
For listening to metal, you can set LPF anywhere from 70hz - 120hz. Most metal musics do not contain heavy bass.
Just remember, higher hz setting will cut off low bass from your subs and vise versa.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6094
a subsonic filter blocks frequencies below it's set point from being produced.
this is used for ported boxes to prevent the subs from loss of damping below the tuned frequency which will damage your subs.
the SSF is usually set at 20Hz, or one octave below the port tuned frequency of your sub enclosure.
a SSF is not required for a sealed box but will prevent wasted power trying to produce notes you can't hear anyway.

the LPF will vary based on subs, car, power, etc..
usually between 60-80Hz

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6095
most metal doesn't have a lot of bass? lol what kind of metal do you listen to?
try some Ozzy, Sepultura, Slipknot, Metallica, or Dead Pool.. those are just a few of the lighter choices in the metal world with some pretty heavy basslines.. It's just a different sort of bass than hiphop.. usually a driving bass guitar line as opposed to an 808 or a kick drum or a synth.

Silver Member

Post Number: 698
Yea I know I know, I'm not a metal listener.
Somehow when people say metal, I picture guys screaming their heads off knocking down speakers... :-)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6098
hahaha
some metal I like, some I find droning and irritating. It totally depends on the band. I have a friend who's a total metalhead though. I consult her for details on what's good.. lol

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6099
PS Way back when, we used to keep a Pantera CD in the store, just to crank up on the display board to drive out annoying customers at the shop.. hahaha

Bronze Member
Username: Lostnconfused

Far Far Away, I Forgot USA

Post Number: 11
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Pantera. Yea I find most metal songs I listen to hit harder then most techno and some rap lol; if not harder, The subs hit at long low durations and it rattles your mind-I love it. A band I like a lot that I recently have stumbled upon is Children Of Bodom; they are a mix of old rock & roll and nu' metal. A good CD of theirs is "Follow the Reaper" and the Live in Japan CD is just... amazing they truly have talent.

Help2
Unregistered guest
I love metal...but I listen to just about
everything...
Check out Opeth if youve never heard them...
its progressive death metal with some acoustic
guitars stuck in there to really confuse ya.
:-)
The lead singer can death yell and sing normally
in the same song...but it fits for some reason.
great stuff.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 118
The guys in Children of Bodom are amazing guitarists. Opeth as well. If you like the lighter stuff, CoB's guitarist is in a band called Sinergy I believe. Female vocalist and whatnot.
aim me at solacedagony if you wanna talk metal ;)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6111
I used some white zombie and rob sombie tonight when I was setting up an infinity basslink.. good stuff there too

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6112
Zombie that is.. my little finger doesn't like hitting the Z key lately.. hurts.
haha I sliced across the tip of my finger workin on a system install.. how annoying. actually tore up my left hand a few places pretty well.

Silver Member

Post Number: 715
Are you sure you weren't having flashbacks of your "metal" band days?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us