2 gauge power wire from home depot?

Bronze Member
Username: Jdub_dub

Post Number: 13
i went to home depot to check out there power wire. they have 2 and 1/0 guage power wire. the only thing is that instead of having rubbery insulation, it had plastic insulation. and instead of having like 2000 strands it only had like 8 or 9 thick strands. do you think it would be ok to use this or not? please give me some input.

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 27
No thats not OK, get multi strand. The more strands the better basicly. Some of the others (Glass probably) may give you an exact type/brand to look for.

Cheers Glenn

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6045
yeah avoid that stuff with the larger strands.
keep in mind, electrons travela round the outside of each strand, so basically the more strands, the better the cable will carry current. Also, it'll be more supple and easier to route.
that crap at home depot is for in-wall use in homes, and it's like bending rebar to route that stuff.

stick with the highest strand count you can find, and keep to wire with good insulation to both reject or suppress noise, and to help avoid compromising the insulation and causing a short.
knukonceptz.com has 1/0ga for a pretty fair price.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 658
You should try the eBay, they do sell them pretty cheaply. Home Depot sells stuff for homes, just like their name says.
I tried using their wire and it's really tough to bend and route. Also they tend to break or become very stiff during cold weather. Walmart's the best for cheap wires.

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 19
I used some of the 4ga from Homedepot to redo the grounds from my starter battery to chasis and alternator to chasis. It works great but I wouldn't want to use it to run +12V near my engine block/manifold or need to route it through my interior. The insulation isn't really meant for constant vibration and rubbing and higher heat situations. Since all I am running is ground I shouldn't have a big problem (yes, it is FARRR away from positive terminals).

Goto partsexpress.com and get some of their "Amp King" brand wiring. They have 2GA for $1.50 a foot. The stuff is nice, great insulation, and they offer it in RED and BLACK, no fancy transparent colors -- I like it since the red is visible, nobody will accidently cut it when working on the car (god I hope).

Well,
Good Luck

-Protrex

BlairAus
Unregistered guest
g'day

speaking of powerwires, is welding cable suitable? it is approximately 2 guage in size and is multi strand and its cheap as at like $5 metre? It looks as ugly as because it has this bright orange industrial insulation but if it is suitable than i am thinking about using it as a cheap alternative to the proper stuff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 980
How much do you save by going cheap?? Don't you think it's better to get proper wires once? It's not like you're going to replace it every year. It's one time expense. Think about it.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 344
Jamie, keep in mind the ground is JUST AS IMPORTANT as the positive. Electrons move from ground to positive, so the first thing the electrons travels thru is your ground wire. Another good way to look at it is like a loop built with all diffrent peices. Any weak peice will degrade your over all performance.

Bronze Member
Username: Protrex

Post Number: 29
Well, my lights no longer dim when I am idleing and listening to the system really loud. I can have the system on, the brights, and the AC on and the system does not even whimper.

It doesn't seem to be a big issue.

-Jamie

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 353
There is no doubt it probably helped. I am just saying it won't help as much as it could.

Silver Member

Post Number: 981
Jamie, wait till you need more power later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us