Will a Mono Amp going to 2 subs overheat?

Username: Amiricle

Post Number: 1
hey guys, if I use a 2ohm stable mono amp going to 2 subs wired in a series, will it put more stress on the amp than if it was just powering one sub?

Post Number: 2
the subs are wired at 2ohms each

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 589
Hey Amir, the amp won't overheat as long as you supply the needed ohms. For example, if it's 2 ohms stable, and your 2 subs are 4 ohms SVC, then wire them in parallel for 2 ohms.
The amp will overhead is if you go below 2ohms.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 322
Yea what isaac said >_<!

Silver Member

Post Number: 595
Damn, see what happens when you type while getting ready for bed? I meant "amp will overheat if you go below 2ohms".

Post Number: 3
so if i wire the 2 subs to 2 ohms, and the amp is 400watts at 2 ohms RMS, then it is like having 800watts total RMS?

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
Something like that. Instead of getting 800W from one location, you're dividing up 800 into 2 400W.
Therefore, if you're speaking in terms of power, you can say 800W total.

Post Number: 4
what 2ohm stable mono amp would you recomend to power 2 400watt infinity perfect DVQ subs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 614
Hey Amir, you should get 1 class D amp to power your subs. If you want a cheap amp (only in price), check out MTX 6500D. They usually go for $75 - $120. It's rated 500W rms at 2ohms, and 775W at 14.4v. It will drive both your subs to the max and more. I found out your subs are 4ohms SVC. So if you connect them both in parallel, you'll get 2ohms, perfect for MTX amp.
If that amp is below your price, then try RF, JL,JBL, Kicker, Audiobahn 2300HCT, A4125HCT.

Post Number: 6
so the amps 500RMS wont blow the 400RMS sub?

Silver Member

Post Number: 615
As long as you don't max the amp (volume to the max), you'll be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Squanto

No, No Usa

Post Number: 45
if the amp is too powerful for the subs, you can always turn the gain down on the amp. but if the amp is not powerful enough to run the subs, and you have to keep in cranked all the way up just to bump them, then u risk your amp sending a clipped signal. this can destroy the subs.

i like my mtx amp, and i havent heard great things about audiobahn... but other than that the list isaac gave is a pretty good one. i hear a lot of people have good experiences with jbl 600.1 and 1200.1's, and theyre real cheap for the power they put out.

Post Number: 7
Thanks a lot for the help guys, ive learned a lot. What do you thing about the MTX Thunder 421D amp? It does 420x1 at 2ohms. should i go with the 6500D instead? Thanks isaac

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
Hey Amir, if you can get 421D amp cheaper than 6500D, then go ahead. If not, then 6500D gives you the most bang for your money.

Post Number: 8
The only reason im scared to get the 6500D is that i dont wanna blow the subs, but if thats not a problem ill get the 6500D

Silver Member

Post Number: 627
Hey Amir, as long as you don't max on your volume, you won't blow anything. Just use self control. Speakers won't blow from getting a little extra power, it's the clipping/distortion that kills them.
Let's say you have a 500W amp and your subs are 500W also. Now in an ideal world, you can max your volume and everything will be just fine. However, since your HU will distort near the max volume, it will cause your amp to distort/clip at the max setting also. There's a greater chance of an amp distorting/clipping at their max setting. So if you buy a more powerful amp and use it at 80%, then you'll get clean sound without destroying anything.

Post Number: 9
Isaac thank you so much. Im going to get the MTX 6500D. Where do you think is the best place on line to buy it from? I dont like buying things from ebay.

Silver Member

Post Number: 643
Hey Amir, eBay may have bad sellers, but some of them are actually very honest. Try to find sellers that are close to 100% customer rating. Those guys actually care. The ones under 95%, you ignore.
I just checked eBay.com and they have MTX 6500D amp starting at $10. Go make a bid.
If you get the optional remote bass control for that amp, you'll be able to control the bass from your dashboard. It is very very handy.
Make sure you use your credit card on paypal to pay for the item. Paypal will try and make you not use your credit card, but don't listen to them. If by chance, the seller is a crook, you can call your credit card company and stop payment. They will refund your card without any problem. Paypal on the other hand, will make you mail tons of paper work and maybe after 6 months later you might get your money.
So use the credit card.
You can also do search on google.com for the amp.

Post Number: 10
do you know of any other online sites that sell the amp?

Silver Member

Post Number: 663
Hey Amir, try millionbuys.com. It's not as cheap as eBay though. Big difference between $239 and $100 (average).

Username: Bsherman

Post Number: 2
hey isaac i just blew up my fosgate 1200 w amp pushing two sony P5 12's. i want an amp that will push the subs to the best that they can but i dont want to blow them. you sound like you know alot about it so i was thinking about purchasing the Sony XM D1000P5 Amplifier. i have seen on sites that this is perfect for my subs.

Username: Bsherman

Post Number: 3
what do you think

Silver Member

Post Number: 670
Hey Branson, I don't know which Sony model you have but the ones I checked out is rated 300W rms and 1200W peak. It is also 4ohm SVC. This means if you wire the subs in parallel, you'll get 2ohms. So you need to get an amp that's 2ohms stable.
I don't know how you blew fosgate's 1200W amp. It's suppose to be good quality.
If you want an amp that'll for sure blow your subs away, try MTX 6500D class d amp. On eBay, they range in price from $75 - $125. It is 500W rms at 2ohms and 775W rms @ 14.4v. It will more than drive your Sony subs.
I'd stay away from Sony products in general. They just pretend to make quality products, especially their amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
why did your amp blow?

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 103
Hey, Isaac. It's actually millionbuy.com. They're an ebay store :-) I bought a box from them, but it was crap so I got a refund. They're right here in downtown L.A., trustworthy ppl, but make sure you don't buy crap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us