One question bout mono amp!!

Username: Corey01

Post Number: 8
can i hook up two speakers to a 1 channel (mono) amp? i know this is probly a stupid question but im a newb and dont know anything. Cuzz im tryina hook my two audiobahn dub500 series subs up to a hifonics BX1800 mono amp. someone please help!

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 321
Yes you can as long as they are wired in accordance with the amps stable impedance limits, you have enough output to power all subs sufficiently, and you don't go over board with the amount of subs.

Username: Karthalin

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 7
Well, each sub has a dual 4 Ohm impedance. This means that you can either have each sub (Individually) at 2 Ohms or 8 Ohms. When wired in series, your system will be at 4 Ohms or 16 Ohms (You dont want 16 Ohms, friggin ridiculous). When wired in parallel your system will be either 1 Ohm or 4 Ohm. Your amp will support a 1 ohm or a 4 ohm system. At 4 Ohms the subs will recieve 450W RMS, under powering them in my opinion. At 1 Ohm they can recieve 1800W RMS, which will DESTROY your subs rather quickly. Everything I'v said up to this point is fact (somebosy please back me up on this) the next is opinion.

Wire each subs voice coil in parralel, making each sub 2 Ohm. Wire the subs together in series, making the system 1 Ohm. Hook up amp, only run at 1/2 power (~900W RMS) dont turn volume up too loud.

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 8
Why should you listen to me? I have no competition experience, and I am building only my third system.

I Have spent an average of 15 hours a week for the past three weeks doing research, I have listened to the best (Such as Glasswolf and Jonathan) and I have a very good understanding of what is going on.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 611
Hey Casey, I think you made a small mistake on your post. Wiring 2 ohm subs in series will give you 4 ohms not 1ohm. For that it has to be parallel again.

Bronze Member

Tacoma, WA USA

Post Number: 11
Doh! Yea, Isaac is correct. Parrel halves, Series add. Wire em in parrallelelelal(sp?) to get the 1 Ohmage

Username: Corey01

Post Number: 9
aight thanks a lot..do u think it would just be easier to get a 2 channel amp? and if so any suggestions for my subs?

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 639
Hey corey, get 1 channel class d amp that's 4ohms or 1ohm stable.

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 326
Your best bet Corey is to get a class D amp especially if you don't have a HO alternator. A class D amp will be just as easy (if not more easy) for you to hook up and they draw reasonably less current and are about 80% efficient :-)! Just to confirm the belligerent self indulgent idiocy stated above and back up isaac's true statement you can wire two 4 ohm DVC subs for either a 1 or 4 ohm load.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us