What size grommet and hole for 2 guage wire?

Bronze Member
Username: Jdub_dub

Post Number: 11
im getting a 200 amp alternator for my f150. im gonna upgrade my 4 guage wire to 2 guage. do you think this will be enough? or do you think i should get 1/0 guage. i have a jbl 1200.1. what size hole should i drill through the firewall? what size grommet do i need? thanks for the help.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdub_dub

Post Number: 12
also, can i use 4 gauge wires from alt to batt and batt to ground?

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 23
If it is enough depends on how far you are going to run it, but yes it should be fine. Someone posted a neato site that had a table of what gauge was required over what distance accepting a .5 volt drop. Good stuff for easy reference but I can't find it now :-( I though it was Glasswolfs homesite but i can't find it there (easily). The size of the hole and the grommet I can't help you with as that will depend on the brand of wire (and what gauge of course) you get, some will have heavier insulation then others.

Cheers Glenn

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 6008
2AWG cable is .2576" in diameter plus insulation thickness.

use the same size cable for ground and alternator as you use for battery to amplifiers/distro block

4AWG is only rated for a peak current of 125A, and that decreases as the length of the cable increases.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us