Does A Grill Effect Subwoofer Output? (technical)

Anonymous

Okay, i have a 12" alpine Type R subwoofer in the trunk....and I need some protection on it...

But, i was wondering if a speaker grill can diminish the sound output? Since it makes sound by moving air, if you put a grill over that, doesnt it hinder the air movement??

The grill I have is this:
https://www.amazon.com/2-Piece-Steel-Mesh-Speaker-Grill/dp/B0002KR07Y

The problem in addition to the question up top is, that when it hits, the grill itself "flexes" (also makes noise when it flexs) in and out with the sub, at the sub's frequency...so I know the grill is absorbing energy of some kind. I'm just looking to keep the sound output high, along with excellent SQ.

thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 440
I don't think you'll notice a difference with it on or off. Unless when the sub hits the cone or surround touches the grill then it will sound bad.

Bronze Member
Username: Wojopro

Post Number: 15
Not a problem at all!!! Im gonna do the same for my 3 alpine subs

Help2
Unregistered guest
Grilles like that may cause chuffing.
be forewarned.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 296
what the heck is chuffing? i'm serious that's a new term on me.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 527
Hey if you're planning to blast the subs, I wouldn't use any grills. At low volumes, they have no impact, but at high settings, depending on the installation, the subs might come in contact with the grill.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdc

Post Number: 32
if you are moving a lot of air you might hear some strange noises from the air on the grill

Help2
Unregistered guest
"if you are moving a lot of air you might hear some strange noises from the air on the grill"
Thats chuffing.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1132
lol....

look at some skimpy grills from partsexpress.com they have some that are very slim metal bars about an inch and a half off the box, only 3, but protect the sub and look flippin sweet too...shouldnt have any problem with thema nd excursion or this "chuffing" you speak of

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1133
https://www.amazon.com/GS-Powers-Subwoofer-Speaker-Chrome/dp/B01K9JT06G

there we be

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 549
Ok bacon, that'll work, even for my 18" sub.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1134

Username: Rusio1

Phoenix, Az

Post Number: 6
I have a Q-logic bandpass box that has 2 ports on each side for 2-10" subs and 2 Fosgate P-1s SVC 400w @ 4 ohms. When installed they angle toward each other and are sealed by a plexiglass window. The questions I need answers to are, is this the right box for these subs, will this config. damage my speakers, and what is better for these subs ported or sealed?

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1136
didnt your mother ever tel you to start your own thread when asking questions like this?

dont hijack anyones thread again but to answer your question this one and only time...bandpass is a terrible daily driver box, i would reccomend ported, tuned anywhere from 26-38 Hz for optimal performance with almost any sub out there
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us