Any advantage if extra current is available?

Bronze Member
Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 41
For the Alpine CDA-9815 (and similar models with the 27Wx4 RMS internal v-Drive amp), I know the 8-10 guage fused wire is not needed while the internal amp is off (while running all ext. amps), but is there any benefit... because at this point, I am basically willing to spend the half hour to an hour for any noticable increase in listening enjoyment :-). anyway. does it help with cleanliness, distortion, skip-prevention, anything... or does anyone even know...

i will probably end up running it either way now that i think about it... lol.

Bronze Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 67
Are you asking if a fuse will give you cleanliness, less distortion, or skip-prevention? No. Fuses are for electrical purposes in case there's a surge or a shortage. Some HU amps don't turn off while running external amps. Not sure how to wire headunits, and doubt you need a fuse in either case.

Bronze Member
Username: Mattellermets

Danville, IL US

Post Number: 42
thanks oleg, but i know exactly what a fuse is. the internal amp on my HU can be shut off. i was just asking if anyone knew about these types of units, and if they benefited from extra available current (by upgrading to a thicker power wire)

Bronze Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 80
For the head unit, it will NOT make a difference. You can probably even use 16ga. As for amps, at least 8ga, but for most part 4ga and 2ga for really power hungry ones.

user
Unregistered guest
for the alpine decks with the internal V-drive amplifier (including 9815) which put out 60x4 or 27 rms x 4, alpine says that at least 10ga is "required" because the stock 12-16ga is not sufficient.

the question was asking if the internal v-drive amp is not in use, and powered off, then will the stock wiring be acceptable?
...i think it is fine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us