Help on what to get?

Username: Ross

Post Number: 1
My son has expressed interest in getting an amp, new 6x9's, and a sub for his ford ranger for christmas. I have been reading, shopping and I am still very confused about what to get for him. What advice can you offer on a inexpensive setup that will sound half way decent, he has a pioneer stereo. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 230
first of all..how much are you planning to spend to get this for him????

Post Number: 2
I am wanting to spend less than 250. I know that's not very much but I just wanted to know what would be the best quality for that price. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 231
Id look into somethin by MTX for the amp..i dunno how many watt your lookin at but find the 6X9's your wanting first then look see what the rms is..and then look for an amp closes to your rms...

Post Number: 3
What about a sub? Should you run both the 6x9's and a sub off the amp or would you be better off just running the sub to get the best sound. If you had a 1200 watt sub, with an RMS of 350 then do you need to find an amp with RMS of at least 350 or do you recommend a higher RMS for the Sub. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 514
Hey Rani, for starters, I wouldn't worry about powering up 6x9 with the power amp. It'll sound good enough with the power from head unit.
Instead spend the money in getting a decent sub and sub amp. Mtx 6500D is a great amp at a low price. It is rated 500W rms at 2ohms and 775W rms at 14.4v. You won't find any amp that's close to that in power and price wise. Unlike Pyramid amps, MTX actually deliver. On eBay, they used to sell anywhere from $75 - $100.
This should leave you some cash for the subs.

Post Number: 4
What should I look for in the subs. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 516
What you look for will be determined by your wallet. Since it's just a starter, look for subs that are ported, 10" - 12" DVC (dual voice) 4ohms. For power rating, it should be at least 300W rms. Anything less and it won't be worth the trouble.
If dual subs are out of price range or too weak, then 1 DVC sub still works.
I personally have 1 18" sub and it sounds louder than 2 dual 12".

Post Number: 5
Thank you

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 98
Just from a quick look at Crutchfield's $100ish subs:

Alpine Type R
Infinity Reference 1230
Kicker Comp
Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 1
JL Audio 10W1 or 12W0

I don't know how reliable these places are, so don't quote me on it, but I've seen some better prices on some sites other than crutchfield.
http://www.woofersetc.com
http://www.hookedontronics.com
http://www.thezeb.com
You also need to keep in mind that if you're getting a sub, you need to get a box, speaker wire, power/ground wire, etc. with that.
Just to give you an idea. Hope I helped!

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 99
BTW, I currently have a 2003 Ford Ranger, standard cab, I have a 10" MTX Road Thunder in my truck, I think it's approximately 125W. Not bad considering the small cab.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us