GlassWolf, your opinion please

Bronze Member
Username: Graeme_k

Somerville, Victoria Australia

Post Number: 33
G'Day buddy
I have bought the wife a new Toyota camery and she would like better sound, it comes standard with 6x9's allround.
I have allready purchased Pioneer DEH-8650 head unit, Infinity Kappa 693.5i 6X9 3 ways (1 pair)and JL Audio 300/4 amp.
I would like to avoid installing a sub woofer
option 1: would you fit 6x9's all around and use the x overs in the amp/head unit to divide front and rear or option 2: same setup but change the fronts for 6 1/2" componants and fit the tweeter in the vent provided under the windscreen on the dash ! or ?

Thanks in advance GK

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
One pro shop say's to fit the infinity 6x9's rear, x them over at 80 htz and fit say a pair of Kappa 6.1's upfront. The other shop say's to go for the 6x9's allround for ease of installation, this will give me more bass impact and cater for not having a sub.
cos it's new I would like to keep mods down to a min

Regards Graeme

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 192
Do not go with the shop that told you there was 6/9 all the way around. They are on crack. I would drop the rear fill, and the JL 300/4 completly and do the 6.5 components(or a better set)powered by a JL 300/2. Try to keep the tweeter within a 6 inch radius from the mid range (aka not in the dash). When you seperate them by alot, or place the mid alot closer to your ear it messes with the imaging and causes the tweets to be really really loud. I hate to say this but a sub will be your best bet. Even a single 10 in a box with a good component set will sound way better than the 6/9s, and the same component set.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 540
Hey JeremyC, read the guy's post. He already bought the 4 channel amp.
Graeme, do the 6.5 component install as mentioned by JeremyC, install the 6x9 speakers that you already bought in the rear. Now use the 4 channel amp to power front and rear. It will make a huge difference in sound quality.
If your wife is not too concerned with deep pounding bass, then you don't need a sub. It is good enough.
If after the install, you feel you're lacking the bass from the rear, if the amp allows, you can use the rear channel as 3 way by getting a coil and non polarized capacitors.

Silver Member

Post Number: 541
One more thing Graeme, since you're from Australia, if you need any help, try Moorey. He's from there too.

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 66
hey isaac, where can i find a place to pick up some coils and caps to build a bandpass crossover? any sites off the top of your head?i've tried a few different places but no luck so far. thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Terminatermule

Australia

Post Number: 21
does the12volt.com have anything?

Cheers Glenn

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
You can find them almost any electronic/parts store. If not, eBay has some, although not as cheap as your local store cause there's no shipping charge.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 195
The reason I said to drop the 300/4 is it may be to small for a mid to high end set of components.
Most stereo dealers will alow you to swap out amps and such, with out too much of a hassel.

If that is not possiable then Isaac's idea about using the amp to run your sub and the components would work too. That amp is a little underrated so you can figure on more than the rated 75 watts rms. Just make sure the speakers you get will run well with around 75 to 85 watts rms, and around 150 rms for the sub. Some speakers are very inefeciant, and will not work well with that rms range.

Silver Member

Post Number: 579
Oh ok, I just thought you might've missed the part about him already owning it... :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
G'Day guys
sorry about the delay, I had a virus that stopped me getting onto the internet.
The pro shop will change over the amp, but does not sell the 2 ch JL, they do have the 450/4 if this will be better ! $200 more, it's 300 watts bridged
I took the oem front 6x9's out of the doors and to my supprise the speaker is part of the hole ABS moulding, so a hole new assembly will have to be made up ! Bugga
If I go with the 4 ch amp and I req more bass I can always add another amp running off the sub o/p from the head unit and turn the rears way down
or use the x over in the amp to have them as rear fill only or possibly even disconnect them.

Thanks Gents

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
Hey Graeme, are you saying the shop will trade your amp to a slightly stronger amp for extra $200? That's not a good deal at all then. I'm getting 800W rms for $139 plus shipping.
You might just as well keep your existing 4 channel amp and get a sub amp with the $200.
And utilize the rear speakers. Don't waste them. I balanced mine and it sounds great together with my front.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Yes buddy, JL Audio gear is very expensive over here 300/4 cost me $750 aus, the 450/4 rrp is $1198 and the 500/1 is $1270 rrp but JL is rated very high in the sound quality department.
I'm running all JL audio in my car, including the 12w6v2 sub, this is why my wife wants better sound, she drove mine !
I will take your advice cus if we ever sell the vehicle it's always best to have the rear speakers working and if we req more bass, can always add a sub/amp combo thats easly removable.

The decission now is which componant speakers for the front, should I still go for the Infinity kappa 6.1's on Ebay thay are very reasonably priced at $325 + $50 p&h.
I can only get the VR series in JL at $450 and dyn audio / focal are $900 plus.

Thanks again for your help Isaac

Regards Graeme

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
Whoa, Graeme, you need to write to your politicians! That's a major ripoff. I tought Canada had it bad. We're almost there though.
Hey Graeme, I didn't know which model of JL speakers you were interested in so I picked a basic one. It had a power rating of 60W rms. The Infinity you mentioned above has 100W rms. Since I have Infinity speakers and they sound great, I'm leaning towards Infinity.
Sorry I can't be much of a help, you'll have to give me some exact model numbers.. :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us