Rockford Fosgate Amp...

Username: Bleh5

Post Number: 1
Hi guys... been lurking a bit, finally decided to register to ask a question...

I've pretty much decided on a sub (Rockford Fosgate PL2-210, 400 Watts RMS, contains subs and enclosure, 2-10" Punch Stage 2 Subs) but I need to select an amp to go with (I would prefer to stick with RF as well).

The way I see it, my two options are the P3002 (300x1 Watts RMS) and the P5002 (500x1 Watts RMS).

I've read that you should match the two RMS's, but since I couldn't find a RF 400 Watt RMS Amp, I have to decide between the two. Is it generally better to have an amp that is lower powered (than the sub) as opposed to one that is higher powered (than the sub)?

Also, from some research, RF tends to underrate their amps? In that case, should I go with the lower wattage amp?

One last question... what happens when the amp's wattage is higher than the sub's? Blowout?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Dude, AMP always on the high side! For example, your sub says 250RMS/400Max; get an amp with AT at or slightly above 250RMS/400MAX. It's actually healthy to have the amp's wattage a big higher to handle the peaks. Most likely, you won't be cranking it that high to realize, but there's nothing worse than UNDERPOWERING your speakers. I've fried two amps because of this.
Happy shopping and PAY ATTENTION TO CURRENT and quality of amp. RF is a mid-range brand. You can get much bang for your buck out of a JL Stealth...or even RF's premium line in the gunmetal grey.

Username: Boomboombass

Post Number: 1
Hey i need some help desperatly! I have a Rockford 401S (1200Watt) Amplifier which has a continuous RMS power of 410 WATTS. Its a two channel amp which is driven to full power at 2OHMS per channel. I am looking at different subs that would sound perfect with this amount of power and also subs that will match the OHMS. I am leaning more towards "2" subs of a certain kind but im not sure whether 10", 12", or 15" would sound the best or whether or not i should stick with Rockford subs. I also am not sure how to wire the subs when i get them, if someone could recommend some subs to me and how to hook them up i would greatly appriciate it (Series or Parallel?) (Stereo or Mono?) Please help me out!!! Thanks a lot.
---------Matt

Username: Boomboombass

Post Number: 2
Any suggestions would help me out tremendously!What model Rockford Sub would be optimum for this amp? Help me please?!?!?!?!
Thanks
Matt

Bronze Member
Username: Vtdakotaguy

VT United States

Post Number: 22
Underpowering your subs does nothing to harm them. Otherwise whenever you turn the volume down with the music playing they would blow. Clipping is what you need to whatch out for.
As far as RF amps go, A good amp for those subs would actually be the Power T5002. It lists for about $500, but you can get it on www.etronics.com for around $289 + shipping. This amp would also give room for future changes. I personally prefer older Rockford amps, but the new power series are very cool.

LM

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Polk Momos (yellow writing), two twelves. http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLMM124
Get em for 1/2 price at this site. Great subs.

Post Number: 2
LM,

So you're suggesting going with the 300Wx1? (The T5002 puts out 300Wx1 at 4 ohms)

I am actually not too concerned with having the best... or even coming close... I just want something that's good enough, you know what I mean? I like the look of the T5002 (don't particulary like chrome), but I don't think I'm willing to spend that much just yet...

Bronze Member
Username: Vtdakotaguy

VT United States

Post Number: 23
Hi. You said you wanted to stay with RF so I picked out one that I thought would be a good investment and allow future expansion. You don't really have to drive them at full rms power to have them sound good. I had a pair of Kicker 10" L7's that were getting 300 watts max and they sounded very good. That is only half of thier rms power rating. I have been looking at that RF box and sub combo you are talking about for a while now. I was thinking of getting it for my girlfriends car. I have heard them being powered at BestBuy by a crappy little sony amp and I was impressed. I am no expert by far, but I was just giving my input. Also remmeber that that amp in addition to being 4 ohm stable bridged is also 2 ohm stable bridged and in 2 channel mode is 1 ohm stable. Thats alot of choices in coil configurations. I would be willing to bet that those amps put out alot more power than the specs tell you.
RF Power T5002
75 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (CEA-2006 Compliant)
150 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
250 watts RMS x 2 at 1 ohm
300 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode (at 4 ohms)
500 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode (at 2 ohms)
1-ohm stable (2-ohm stable in bridged mode)

As far as I can figure it with those 8 ohm SVC subs wired in parallel would bring them down to 4ohms. By bridging the amp it would actually see 2ohm. Each sub would get about 250 watts. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. I am still trying to nail this ohm stuff like alot of other people.

LM

Post Number: 3
Thank for the help guys... found this on crutchfield...

Q: How much power do I need?

A: The right answer to this question depends upon which subwoofer you choose. You'll find a recommended power range (in continuous or RMS watts) listed in the specifications for each subwoofer on this website.

The lower number is the absolute bare minimum amount of wattage you need to get acceptable results. Generally, more power is better because bass notes are power hungry. So, to really make your subwoofer deliver, we recommend choosing an amp rated in the upper third of your woofer's maximum RMS power range.

Your amp's RMS output can even exceed the woofer's maximum RMS rating, provided you keep an ear on the sound quality -- when the bass starts to distort or "break up," you've reached the performance limit of your amp/speaker combination. Back the volume knob down a bit, and your woofer is safe; clean, high-volume sound will not damage your speaker.

so... the P5002 it is.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us