Coax or Component

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 86
I listen to a lot of rock and metal. I'm right now deciding if I should go coaxial speakers or components. I would like to spend about 400$ + amp price for my setup. I'm not too educated when it comes to speaker setups. It would be going in the standard cab of an '03 Ford Ranger. Thanks.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 87
The doors have 5x7 slots in them. I was considering modifying them slightly so I could fit 6.5" speakers in them.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Yo Jake, I have a pickup myself and components. The tweets are bright as it gets with the all glass soundstage. You are best off going coax and saving the cash. There just isn't a hell of a lot of diff. in a pickup. Spend $150 on the pair..no less...for good quality. Go with an amp of the same price range. $100-$150 for the install..walla there is your $400+ dollars total.
I have MB Quart Premiums. May be too bright for your taste in a pickup. LATER. GUARANTEED you'll be looking for a tight squeeze sub afterwards too! (That's what I'm doing right now). Buy your sub for the future if this is the case.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 88
I figured out what sub and whatnot that I want to get, I was just contemplating what setup I would want for speakers. I can install myself. I was talking 400$ for just speakers PLUS the amp cost.
So the components won't make much difference in a truck huh? Ok, then I'll eliminate that possibility and get to speaker sizes and what companys I should look at for coaxials. Like I said, I've got the 5x7s but I may potentially modify the mounting so I can fit in 6.5s.

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Jake, I would toss a round 5.25 coax in there--No modification required. Whatever you decide to do, go round. The sound physics coming off a circle is much better than an oval. How many home speakers do you see in ovals?

My component tweets bounce on the glass like LeBron on the hardwood. Coax ALL THE WAY. Do you like bright tweets? MB Quart. Soft tweets? Alpine, Infinity Dynaudio (high end). Drive them with an amp 75W RMS @ 4 ohms MINIMUM! You can get buy with Fosgate Punch if you don't want to bleed your checkbook.

Oh, if you plan on hooking a sub, buy a 4 channel amp so you can dedicate the rear two to your sub...unless you want to fork out $$$ and get a dedicated mono sub amp bridged to your door speaker amp---this is expensive.

Truckers unite!

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Did I mention MB quarts were specifically designed to cater to the Linkin Park Meteora CD?! ( :

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 91
Nah I don't listen to that nu-metal stuff. I'm old school ;) And yea I'm going more hardcore on the sub end. 12" X.X.X fit behind the seat.
Ok, the Infinity Kappa 52.5i (55W RMS) are $86 from Hookedontronics.com.
I can't seem to find anything on Dynaudio coaxials, even from their homepage. That said, I think I'm going to like the softer tweeters. I'll probably just go with the Infinitys. I was actually planning on going with them for coaxials if I went coaxials, but I wasn't sure what speaker size to go with.
Also, the 5.25 speakers will fit in a 5x7 slot with no modifications? Should I go for a 6.5 or 6.75 or is it not going to make much difference from the 5.25? The 6.75 Infinitys can withstand an extra 20W RMS power.
Thanks for your help.

Anonymous

that explains why that cd sounds awesome in my truck :D I have mb quart prems also :D

NappyDugout
Unregistered guest
Mr. Skid Row:
Bigger cones can push more air. What are you moving them with? If it's a moderate watt amp from a mid-range brand, 5 1/4 vs. 6 1/2 is really marginal. I've gotten a 51/4 in a 5X7 hole no problem. We're talking 1/8 in. difference on top and bottom. You may want to modify a tad. Infinitys are good, as are CDT braxials (meaty with soft tweets)...peace.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 92
I didn't get the amp yet, but I will definately buy something that's going to have more than enough power to what I'm running. I was thinking Orion, 150W RMS to each channel more than likely.
So look into the CDTs as well?

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 93
The HD Braxials you're talking about? HD-53 and HD-63? On woofersetc.com, perfect price if they're worth it!

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 94
Or were you referring to the CL-53 and 63?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2664
Dynaudio doesn't make coaxials, they're solely components. Just for reference. I'm a bigger fan of components in most vehicles, if you install them correctly they'll almost always sound better than coaxials. I do like the CDT Braxials and Eclipse Point source coaxials, though. Both the HDs and the Classics are nice in braxials, the HDs are better. Most people put the tweeters from component systems in the A-pillars, which can suck for SQ if not done right via crossover phase correction and proper aiming. That's why they get a bad reputation. A guy on elitecaraudio.com used windshield reflections to aid the soundstage of his truck, with dash pods for the midrange and tweeter strategically aimed. He's won many IASCA events, so reflections aren't always a bad thing if you use them in your favor.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 95
Do you have any reading materials on component system stuff so I can read up on this? I don't know much at all about component stuff. No idea about installing them at all. What are A-pillars? Where can I get information about learning how to set these up so they sound good and also information on crossovers as well. Any help at all, really. Thanks again.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us