e8a.22
elemental designs "big 8" ...almost impossible to find any anymore though

i cant really think of a whole lot but i know tc sounds makes an awesome 8" too

Anonymous

Anyone else?

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 261
dom did a 173.8 sealed on the dash on the BnK mic at wold finals, he set the new world record for his class. he has 72 5.25's, and 72 memphis 1000watt mono amps, thats really loud just in case you didnt already know that
http://www.termpro.com/asp/eventresults5.asp?Image=E7162W1M13221P15&Event_ID=716 2

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 291
zac--I checked out your link. What is the board doing across the front of 5 of those speakers? I'm afraid I don't understand.

Silver Member
Username: Chevy_for_life

Post Number: 229
i was thinking the exact same koz

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis~

Post Number: 267
phasing, loading, and wave forms, these are all variables that need to be addressed in spl, the board is about 24 inches from the mic, i gather it breaks the wave in order for loading purposes.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 90
four good 8" subs, given enough power, should technically sound better than two equally good 12"s because you have four motors pushing less cone mass vs. two motors pushing more. this should result in the 8"s having better control, lower distortion, etc.

however, the cone area of four 8"s is about the same as two 12"s, so with all else being equal, it would be a close comparison. whether you could hear a difference or not is debatable.

one thing's for sure: four 8"s would be more expensive than two 12"s in order to sound as good. installation, enclosure design, wiring, and amplifier requirements would be considerably more for the eights, as well as the higher cost of the drivers themselves. but...

you could say you have four 8"s, which is kinda cool in itself.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 47
Reasone i was debating on maybe 4 8's, is because of the low cu ft rating and low moutning depth would make them fit behind my seat in my single cab truck

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 94
definately a mounting depth advantage there, but i would think air space for four 8"s would be about the same as two 12s.

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 48
True but i can always make the box taller, cant make it any deeper, seat wont go up anymore. Thought about 4 8W3v2 which need .50 cu ft per sub. I can get 4 of those in with indivual chambers and be ok. Also thought about 4 S8L7

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 49
I see the jl is rated for quite a bit less power compared to that solobaric.

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 95
i use a single S8L7 powered with 200 watts and can't complain a bit. if you had four of them you'd definately know it.

the L7s are going to outperform the W3v2s because they have a higher power handling, larger xmax, and greater cone area. there are some that say the L7's sound quality isn't good, and others say they aren't reliable, but i just don't buy all that stuff. mine sounds very good and has lasted me a year so far. sure, there are better subs in the world, but the L7s are one of the better 8"s.

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 50
Guess im gonna shop around and take some suggestions and maybe do some listeing to what others have. then make a choice. Everyone what are some of the best 8's yall can think of

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 51
I think i may give 4 S8l7 a shot and power them with 2 BX 1000D amps :D

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 96
JL makes a better 8" sub called the 8W7, which will outperform the S8L7. they ain't cheap, but you could get by using three instead of four and still get pretty damn loud:

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/8W7.html

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 52
what is Pole Vent Clearance: 0.75 in. (19 mm??

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 97
that is the required distance between the vent on the back of the magnet assembly and the rear wall of the enclosure. if the space is too small, the sub cannot adequately breath to cool the coil.

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 53
ok 3/4 inch isnt much. What amp would you recommend to power 3 8W7 subs?

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 287
what kind of truck are you driving? i have 2 12" VMAXs behind the seat of my 91' reg cab GMC pickup..the box was custom built but it fits perfect w/ just the right amount of airspace. how much depth do you have to spare? you might want to look at a few 10" models as well, many have shallow mounting depths and take very little room to preform. im not sure if anyone asked, but what exactly is your budget?

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 54
Money really isnt goin to play into this. i have 5.5 inches of depth total. And its a 99 Nissan Frontier

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 55
Let me take that back. there is 7 inches total, i was saying 5.5 of internal moutning depth, and thats if i use 3/4 mdf for the box

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 56
Also using the whole 7 inches is pushin it, another reason i was looking at 8's is because there xmax is lower, meaning its less likely to be hitting the back of my seat and causing self damage correct?

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 98
a couple of amps that can push three 8W7s:

hifonics BX 1000d
autotek SX 900X

there are others out there, just aim for something that can make 900 watts rms @ 1 ohm.

regarding your xmax requirements, you may want to rethink using 8W7s. their cones will move nearly a full inch out of the enclosure. the S8L7s have a smaller throw, so may be more suitable for your application.

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 57
Yea i was looking at that

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 288
truck boxes (at least ones that are behind reg. cab seats) are normaly angled, going from large to small as they gain hieght. if you find a box that has a bottom depth of 7inches, no doubtably the top depth would be closer to 4.5 - 5inches. the subs would be angled as well which would help prevent them from hitting the back of your seat. but never the less, 4 8's would be one hell of a system. good luck and let us know what you end up deciding on!

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 58
I can find truck boxes that will hold most of the 12's i wanted but the xmax of the subs will put then in danger of self harm from beating the back of my seat

Bronze Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 38
get some sub grills

Silver Member

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 289
roger has got a good point. i was in fear of the same thing you were Kebo. i bought a couple sub grills and they work great. they dont come close to the subs excursion but i also havnt pushed them to the max or even close to it yet (still breaking in) but they are a great investment. being that the subs will angle in the truck box, im sure that youll have enough room for the grills and if not, you can always go down to 2 or 3 tens which would have less xmax but still pound like crazy.

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 59
Any good box designers here that could help me a bit?

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 60
Also how are the Memphis M class Subs

Bronze Member

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 61
Could i power 4 subs with one Mono amp or would it be better to use 2

Bronze Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 39
why dont you check out these subs? http://www.earthquakesound.com/SWS04.htm

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 293
That's what I was going to recommend. There are several companies that make shallow mount subs. I believe they are more for underseat applications, but they would work in this application also.
I've never heard the ones above, but I am partial to them, but I run a pair of the earthquake tremor 12xr's.
you might ask Jonathan or Glass, about the others that make the shallow mount subs. This was just posted a few weeks ago, but I can't recall the others that make them.
But again the earthquakes are great subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us