Installing 10" sub in the front. Help ?

Username: Jimmy_azrin

Post Number: 1
hi, i'm am thinking of reinstalling my Dynaudio 10" mw180 sub. Currently it's installed at the trunk of the car in a ported enclosure. Any advise on how to move the sub to the front ? I'm not an SPL junkie and just feel that I would achieve much better SQ if the sub is right up in front rather than in the trunk. I have a 2002 Lexus RX300. Currently using Dynaudio 220MK with Audison LRX2 for the front and SRX4 (bridged) for the subs.Nakamichi CD400 is my only source unit. Not to concern abt the rear of the car as nobody sits at the back anyway. Will the SQ be effected if all of the speakers are playing in the front ? Do i really need rear speakers ? Help !

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 466
Hey Jimmy, low sounds are non directional wherelse highs are very directional. Normally the trunk is a good location for the subs. However if you have the space for it in the front, I guess you can try.
The reason why cars come with 4 speakers is to provide balanced sound in the cabin. If you're always driving alone and don't care about your rear passengers, I suppose you can move everything towards the front.

Post Number: 2
hi isaac, thanks for the advise. I'm one of the idiots who thinks otherwise, to a certain extent low frequencies are directional!! With such limited space in front all sub's are naturally place in the trunk. Since my sub is a 10", the only possible way would be to take the passenger seat out !!..yeah, right! But there's space in between the front seat that would fit one maybe two 8" sub's, i've decide to try it in a couple of days. Thank for the advise.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2651
To a certain extent, low frequencies are directional. It's usually due to crossover frequency being too high and also the slope of the crossover, I usually use 18 or 24db/oct. You could make a custom console for the 10" sub and house it there, sort of a downfire. It will work well if you meet the enclosure requirements. As far as I remember though, that Dyn sub requires a pretty big enclosure, not sure about that though. The real reason that car manufacturers put rear speakers in is because of limited space up front and to accomodate rear passengers, plus car buyers would think they got cheated if they only got 2 front speakers out of the deal. In reality, 2 speakers will offer better SQ since acoustic phase isn't affected as much. This article explains it very well. http://www.teamcaf.org/geolemon/Phasing/Multiple.htm

Silver Member

Post Number: 487
Hey not a bad article, but I wouldn't get rid of the rear spearkers. You see, I have DTS/Dolby Digital/Pro LogicII in the car. It NEEDS rear, front, centre, and sub to create a surround sound environment.
To me sound quality is all about balance. In my car, I balanced the front tweeters, front, rear, and the subs so that they produce sound in harmony. It even makes the boring classical music sound like a concert.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2654
As long as you're willing to put the work into it, you can use rears and not have problems. You having 5.1 stretches by most peoples budgets on this forum, plus most are just listening to music and not DVDs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 491
Hey did you know that Pro Logic II will turn 2 channel into 5.1 surround? It's great with Satellite radios.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2656
Yeah, it does a good job of it. I personally don't use it, I'm more of a 2.1 person for music listening. Just personal preference.

Post Number: 3
Cheers Jonathan, great article !. You're right, the dyn's sub requires a litlle bit larger enclosure than normal.But in a seal box, SQ is excellent. My car and home audio is stricly for music. I'm considering an electronic crossover coz not happy with the balance using the passive units. Do you use an electonic crossover in your system?

Post Number: 4
hi guys, just found out that Scanspeak now has develop a new mid-driver & tweeter for car audio. Scanspeak are famous for making very high-end drivers that are used by exotic high-end home speaker systems, like wilson audio, genesis, pro-acs..you know the one's that cost as much as a new lexus.They are a very much like Dyn's and Focal but without their own brand speakers, which means the you can buy them without the added cost of maketing and etc. And knowing how well their home audio is, I can imagine how good these speaker can be. I won't be suprise if it beats the Dyn flat out on SQ. Check them out at www.leda.com.sg/news.htm. Found out that these guys (www.madisound.com) stock them. Don't know what the cost yet , will find out later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us