I need suggestions on front components.

Bronze Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 18
I have a 2004 Silverado ext cab.

Two RF 12" Subs under the back seat w/800wRMS to push them.

I need to know what I could put up front to balance out the system. I have plenty of bass, but I need to upgrade the front stage to keep up. I have a 200wRMS amp for the front end. Anyone have any input on size and quantity for what I'll need up front.

Also, for the location of the tweeters, is it OK to use the stock location in the pillars by the windshield?

Thanks to all.

Bronze Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 29
Hey press, you should get the size of speakers that'll fit in your front doors. It is ok to put the tweeters where the factory put theirs. You can get some Infinity components if you have the money. If you have even more money, then get some Boston Acoustics or Focals. Personally, I was on a budget and got some cerwin vega components and orion coaxials...they both sound excellent...I highly recommend.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 517
Hey guy, if you want balanced sound, I'd get Infinity speakers. If you can try and double up on it. What I mean by that is, instead of installing one 6.5", try 2 6.5" per door or dashboard. This will give you 2ohms load. Now if you use with your 2nd amp, it'll produce more power. If the amp has a built-in filter, set the frequency range to 150Hz or higher. All you really need at the front are mids and highs. Don't get fooled into buying expensive full range speakers cause they'll never be able to produce the lows you get from the subs. No need to duplicate bass.
If you balance the sound properly, it'll sound almost like home stereo.

Bronze Member
Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 21
It has been forever since I messed with this stuff. I used to compete back in 1990, but have since been building a business and would now like to venture back into it.

In the past I used a single amp to push a specific speaker. For example:1 amp to push all the tweeters, another for the mids, and then an amp for subs. I have never used the packaged components (the ones with their own x-over).

How does it work out with the ohms on components ran through that x-over. Isn't that a passive x-over, and wouldn't the 6.5 + the tweeter bring it to a 2ohm load(if they were both 4ohm speakers). I'm only asking because I have only dealt with active x-overs.

Bronze Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 40
Hey press, it wouldn't bring it down to 2ohms for mid+tweeter, because the're connected to the crossover first and are not paralleled together. When you connect them in parallel, as Isaac said, 2 per door you'd parallel them and then it'd be 2ohms. Yes, it is a passive crossover since it is hardware.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us