Is a 13w7 really worth all the extra money over a 12w7?

Anonymous

i was just wondering how much better a 13w7 is over a 12w7? both on a jl 1000/1 amp. getting the 12w7 would save me 130 dollars per sub. is the extra money worth it? please let me know what you think. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 88
the 13w7 is a 13.5" sub that takes 1000 wrms, has a 32mm linear throw, and 107 sq in. of piston area.

the 12w7 is a 12" sub that takes 750 wrms, has a 29mm linear throw, and 84 sq in. of piston area.

looking at these specs, the 13w7 has a bigger cone than the 12w7, it has a more powerful motor, and it has a longer stroke. in other words, it will move more air.

i've never heard the two side-by-side, but i'd guess there would be a significant difference in terms of output.

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 80
So in otherwords, if you don't care about SPL or lower frequency response, then go for the 12. Otherwise the 13 is your best bet.

Silver Member
Username: Joe718

Brooklyn, NY

Post Number: 231
I have heard both subs head to head and the 13 is the better of the 2, handles more power. one of my boys car had 3 12w7 with a 500/1 on each sub and my other friend had 2 13w7 with a jl 1000/1 on each sub, the 13's won every time lol

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 89
quote: "...if you don't care about SPL or lower frequency response, then go for the 12."

i would think even the 12 would go very low - in a car, that's not hard to do if you use the right enclosure. the only real advantage with the 13.5 would be output (SPL), and maybe reliability. the 13.5 can make more SPL with less stress than the 12.

Anonymous

thanks guys... i guess i;ll have to save up some extra money for the extra inch and a half...

.. jake... you make the W7 sound like its only for SQ ..? .. these subs do get extremely loud too right? i mean 2 13w7s (1000/1 each) should still beat 4 12L7s right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us