Need help bad!! signed up for help

Username: Stumped

Post Number: 1
ok i have 3 12" L5's in a custom ported box..the amp i have to work with is the hifonics bx1500d...

which is rated 1500x1ohm and 1000x2 ohms

i really wanna use the full 1500x1ohm power, but was informed i could only wire the subs to .67 ohms or 2.66 ohms..

will the amp hold the .67 ohms or will it blow?

any suggestions on this setup only..no upgrading or new products at this moment.thank you

nnnnick b.
Unregistered guest
I wouldnt recommend running it at .67 ohms. To much stress on the amp. Email hifonics and ask them what they think.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 317
Hey are your subs 4ohm DVC? If it is you can wire them up so that it's 1.5ohms or you can always disconnect one of the subs and then wire the 2 in parallel for 1 ohms (assuming they are 4ohms DVC).

Bronze Member
Username: Napalmz

MIDWEST

Post Number: 50
how did you get 1.5ohms? its 2.67ohms for 3 12" 4ohm dvc's.If they are 2 ohm it would be 1.34 Upload
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Napalmz

MIDWEST

Post Number: 51
if the amp is 1 ohm stable it will work... :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 320
Hey guy, I was using my head to round off...

Post Number: 2
they are the dual 4ohm L5's...

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
ok then the lowest you can set it is around 1.34 ohms. So you will almost get the max power but not quite.

Post Number: 3
well no. cuz thats for the 2 ohm sub..

i have the dula 4 ohm sub which can only be .67 or 2.67

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Wait a sec, if you have DVC 4ohms, then each sub can be made into 2 ohms by connecting it in parallel. So if you put three 2ohm subs in parallel, you should get around 1.5ohms.
So how are you getting .67 or 2.67? Just curious.

Help2
Unregistered guest
3 4 ohm DVC subs in parallel is .67 ohms.
3 4 ohm DVC subs in series/parallel is 2.67 ohms.

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
Okay I must be missing something in here. If you look at the pic above, option 2, it says 1.34ohms. So Help2, how do you get .67ohms using 3 4ohm DVC subs? According to the diagram, if you turn 4ohm dvc into 2ohms, and then connect them in parallel, you're suppose to get 1.34ohms. Is my logic way off?

Post Number: 4
the diagram shows 1.34...thats when u start off with 2 ohm subs. i dont have 2 ohm subs..

Silver Member

Post Number: 347
Ok now it makes sense. See what happens when you get all the facts :-)
I still think you should use 2 subs and sell one. That way you get 1 ohms.

Post Number: 10
thats what everyone suggests...but i had a custom box built with my record labels name and a texas shape outline on the top..so i built it for nothing...

the guy who built it said he can just close 1 hole..but i dont know how it'll sound

Silver Member

Post Number: 359
Well if it was custom built for 3 speakers, then there's no way it'll sound better with just 2. Your best bet is then to leave the 3rd speaker installed but not connected. You see, if you seal up one of the holes, the cubic feet will be too large for 2 subs. But on the other hand, if you leave it in, it will occupy space giving you correct volume size.
You can solve this problem by getting an amp that can handle the odd ohmage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
Oh I had a great idea! Get a 2nd amp to power your 3rd sub. This way you will get maximum sound from the custom built box.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i think your on to something..

doesnt hifonics sell a bx500??

i could run the hifonics @ 2ohms for 2 to give 500 watts rms to each sub..then have the 3rd sub at 1 ohm at 500 watts rms?>??

is that right?

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
Yes that's the idea. But you can't get 1ohms from 1 sub caues you said it was DVC 4ohms. That connected in parallel to itself will give 2ohms.
Anyhow, connect the rca from HU to both amps using a splitter. This way you know all the subs will be synchronized.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us