Alternator, Battery, and Capacitors

Bronze Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 24
Okay which one of these items would be the most helpful to my car audio system. I have between my sub and speakers about 1750 watts being put out by my amps. I have thought about capacitors, an aftermarket alternator, and a battery like an Optima Yellow Top, or maybe something else. What do u all think i should do? Obviously if a got a capacitor i would need a 2.0 farad or two 1.0 farad capacitor, what should i do. I prefer the cheapest, but most effective way possible

no doubt
Unregistered guest
Higher output alternator

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 296
Hey RDS11, before you buy anything, you might want to look at your existing power wires and fuses. If it's not 4gauge or less, you'll need an upgrade. The fuse for the power wire also needs proper size. Most are 60A standard. If they're fine, then 170A - 200A HO alternator is required along with 2F capacitor or 3F if the number you stated above is rms. I generally find that getting 3 1F capacitor is cheaper than one 2F or 3F.
Is the yellow top battery a deep cycle? If it is, then it's a wise choice.

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 25
i dont kno wat a deep cycle means. I just kno some ppl with one and they say its awesome. Cardomain has it so if u would wanna look at it go there. the stated amount of watts would be the rms handling of all my speakers and subs. How do i kno what strength alternator to get? and how much would an alternator cost me. I will definitely check my wire size tho, thx

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 307
Hey Rds11, it's the amp's rms power that determines the alternator size and power wires. You could have 2000W speaker but if your ame is only 200W, then that's all the power you need to supply. Your stock alternator should provide anywhere between 65A to 75A. So 12v x 65A = 780W. This means you can have up to 780W minus heater/radio/lights etc.
Deep cycle batteries let you discharge completely without damaging it. I find it much more useful in high power usage.
At 4alterstart.com, they rage from $120 - $299.
I ordered mine from them.

Bronze Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 32
okay, i got ya. then with my amp and head unit it will be 1500w x 1 and 60w x 4 so 1740w total. So i guess basically a better alternator and a capcitor or two would take care of everything. No battery needed(except for the stock). thanks Isaac, i appreciate it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us