How to wire dual 6 ohm subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 33
I have a pair of dual 6 ohm subs and i need to know how to wire them, and what ohm load it would present to the amp.

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 25
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 34
Its not on there, the subs are dual 6 ohm, that only shows 2, 4, and 8ohm subs.

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 58
The only amp that I know of that can handle a 3 ohm load is a JL amp. I have no idea if there are any other amps that handle odd loads like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Napalmz

MIDWEST

Post Number: 48
phoenix gold can handle 1 2 3 or 4 ohm stable...and their new xenon amps are something special..well worth the money..nowadays i find myself saying you get what you pay for..so you do the math...and actually that would be a 1.5 ohm load not 3 heres a diagram for you Upload

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 59
Oh sorry on the 3 ohms, I didn't see that you wrote a pair. I'll have to check out those Phoenix Gold amps!

Bronze Member
Username: Bananakrill

Benicia, California

Post Number: 29
Cool diagram Napalm.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 60
You can run a 1 ohm stable amp on a 1.5 ohm load? how does that work?

Silver Member
Username: Decde

Canada

Post Number: 233
what kind of sub is 6 ohms?? I Have nover heard of a sub like that.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
Just look at Audiobahns they have all kinds of crazy Ohm loads.
I belive Alumq's have Dual 6 omhs
sum are dual 2 or 4
Aduiobahn doesnt want you to use the same amp for new subs, so they make a new amp per seires, just like microsoft.
New computer? you need newest OS microsoft has to offer, we dont care if XP sucks its NEW!!!
Viva la Linux.

Username: Press1

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 8
1 ohm stable only means that you can drop the resistance load of the speakers down to 1 ohm and the amp will function at the noted specifications. You can run that amp at any higher load, say 2,3,4,5...and so on. The power output to each load will not be the same. As the load increases the amount of wattage the amp can deliver is decreased. However if you run the load down to 1/2 ohm, the amp is likely to overheat. This is because there is too little resistance to current flow and a higher current flow=more heat.

That's the short version...:-)

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 61
So as long as the ohms the amp is set to are lower than the total subwoofer impedance, it'll work? Such as the amp at 2 ohms and a 4 ohm sub load.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
OK here, when you hook up sub's you want the lowest resistance(ohms) possible(unless the total is lower than the amp can handle).
exapmle...
I have 2 DVC 4ohm sub's and I wired them down to 1ohm, My amp can handle 1ohm stable and has most output at 1ohm.

now about if an amp doesnt specify weather it could proform at a differnt impendace, it could possibly do it, but it may be unstable, we need glass on this one, Master Electrition.

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 9
It will only be unstable if the total load is lower than what the amp is rated at. You could run 4 ohms on a 1 ohm stable amp all day long, but you would not be getting the total amount of power that the amp is capable of producing while still being stable. What you are trying to accomplish is getting as close to the rating as possible without exceeding it. This will allow the amp to produce the power that it was designed for.

Yuba City, CA USA

Post Number: 10
http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs/999001.pdf

Check out this pdf. Quick lesson from the net.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us