Amp to power a kicker 15" L7...... HELPP!! need to decide by 2mrw

Bronze Member
Username: Businessboy

Post Number: 53
had an kicker 850.2 but been told the sub cant take bridged power. i have the 4Ohm woofer.

so looking at the:

kx1200.1
the guys reccomending me the kx600.1 but i doubt this has the power.

alpine mrd-m1000 - seems the one u should go for...?

kenwood kac-ps811d - but i doubt it!!

Bronze Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 65
I have a MTX 1501D on my 15" L7. Lots of power and less expensive than kicker. It also has an EQ control which is nice. I think that I payed $450 for mine. The birth certificate said 1079watts RMS @ 2 ohm.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
that alpine i said any good?????

Bronze Member
Username: Jroc

West Salem, Wisconsin U.S.

Post Number: 26
man the m500 would probably push that kicker fine

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 254
The Alpine V12 MRD-M digitals are AWESOME paddy!

check it out:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WluMb42L0pw/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&id=detailed_ info&i=500MRDM501

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
excellent!! thats the one i'm getting the mrd1001

been told it's a very good amp, far better than the kicker kx850.2 plus i'm saving a good few hundred!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
anyone got or heard the Alpine MRD-M1001 ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 260
I have the MRD-M501; they are the same besides power output and they are KICK @ss I love it! There is so much you can do with the digital controls and it gives plenty of clean power.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
excellent, i have it on order, should be good to see how it compared to the kicker 850.

get it installed late next week or the week after!

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
Should be no comparison, these are VERY well built amps.

Gold Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1067
i personally would have gone with something a little more applicable, power output to handling speaking, like a hifonics brutus bx750d for the dual 2 ohm L7 (even thought you probably have the dual 4)

a kx600.1 would have been a better choice by quite a bit in my eyes, and a kx1200.1 even better furthermore, incase you'd like to add another one of these guys later on, gives you more flexibility

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1068
also like to note...

and i quote
"I have a MTX 1501D on my 15" L7. Lots of power and less expensive than kicker. It also has an EQ control which is nice. I think that I payed $450 for mine. The birth certificate said 1079watts RMS @ 2 ohm."

hmm...that seems dramatically less than that amp is rated to put out...

1500w rms at 2 ohm, 750w rms at 4 ohm under 14.4v regulation

hmmmm....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
hi bacon, u heard much on the new alpine m1001 most people have given it very good reviews.

1000 watts rms at 2ohm, cant see the kx600.1 giving that sort of power. agree with flexibility, but only really want more bass in the car.

have a alpine headunit too, so have been told it'l work well with the alpine amp.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1070
ok, i understand about people raving for the alpine MRD amps but they make better head units and signal processors than anything else

a kx600.1 that i used to own was benchmarked at 790w rms at 2 ohm (with regulated 13.5v), which would be PLENTY of power for a L7..especially when you up the voltage to 14.4v

also, one thing you need to consider, and many newbs to car audio are neglegant to is that power ratings are thermal, not mechanical or necessarilly required to get full potential out of a speaker (not saying you're a car audio newb, just enlightening poeple)

also like to add, an apline head unit will work just as well with any other high quality amp as it does with their own amps, so that is quite an ignorant comment that you've been told

and a rule of thumb, double the power = +3 dB
jumping from 800 to 1000 watts will not give any noticable difference to your ear (some may argue...no significant increase anyways)

just throwin my 2 cents in...its up to you whether to pick em up or just stare blankly at them

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1072
correction, kx600.1 that i own but is in my closet for lack of subwoofers to power... haha

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
appreciate your comments mate. 790rms eh? nice. bit unsure as to what i do. both pretty similar imo now.

duno why but i like to try and stick with a brand name- just one of those things.

kicker sub and alpine headunit hmmmm

well the alpines ordered, think i may see how it is, and get the kicker if not happy. or try and get both fitted and take my pic!

Bronze Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 66
Kicker amps are WAY underrated, but that Alpine has some cool features. You can check current consumption and voltage along with some other cool stuff. Way better than my MTX. Bacon, the birth certificate is at 12 volts. Maybe thats why? You don't think it's a weak amp do you? It probably wouldn't of made it out of the factory if it was, right?

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1073
mmm sounds like ur being sarcastic with me...

but i can guarentee unless your car has an extremely insuffecient electrical charging system, or your current draw is so much as to drop your voltage levels to 12.5 volts, your amp will never run at 12.5 volts unless the car is turned off, running off the battery

this is really why id rather see levels of 13.5v and higher in car, its a more realistic rating when the car is charging

Bronze Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 72
So then can my amp really put out 1500 watts of clean power? I'm not being sarcastic.

Gold Member

Hfl, Ny Usa

Post Number: 1079
more than that...

ive seen a 1501d (about 4 months ago) benched at 1613 watts rms @ 2 ohm under 14.4v regulation

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 109
Thats sweet. I'm gonna have to measure mine and see what it does.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us