HO Alternator Alternatives

numb260
Unregistered guest
I just got a 640watt 4 channel amp installed and am wanting to one or 2 more amps and some subs. My alternator right now is a 95 amp so I'm def going to need some more power from somewhere. I've called some local shops and they all don't even believe there is such thing as a high output alternator so I called my local audio shop to see what they thought I should do to have one installed. They said that they suck and don't last for more than 6 or 8 months and to invest in some other type of alternator that's gonna cost me like $700. I can't spend that much just on the alt. I wanted to spend around $900 for the rest of the subs, amps, etc so that would only leave me with $200. So what do you guys think I should do? I found one shop that would install it if I bought one of the internet and I still haven't found anyone to do the big 3. I really have no mechanic skills, I know it's simple but I'm not even gonna try it. I guess my shops just suck. Anyways, do the HO alternators not last that long and would I be better off doing something else? If I got a second battery and an isolator I could keep my current alternator right? If it helps I'm prolly going to be adding about 1200-1800 watts.

numb260
Unregistered guest
Just looking on ebay. Found this 200 amp Ford Car and Truck alternator. Says its factory remanufactured. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D7935239914& category=33573&sspagename=WDVW. About $162 shipped. Being sold from DB Electrical. Would this be a good alternator? I'm still leaning toward's getting an alternator because I think it'd be better.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5831
that'd be fine.
6 months? they need to find a new alternator supplier.
My lestech alternator was made in the 1980s for an ambulance.
I've used it ever since for car audio (since 1988) and only had it rebuilt because I had it out of the car and it cost me $50 to do it, about a year ago..
they have no idea what they're saying.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 260
Sounds like a scammer after your money. If an alternator lasts 6 - 8 months then that manufacturer should be sued for making Sony like product.. ha ha. Just kidding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us