Likely cost of a hand made MDF box for a single 12"?

Bronze Member
Username: Skema

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 83
Hey, I'm having someone with a lot of experience make a box for a single 12". Its 2 ft^2. I know the wood is cheap but what general cost am I looking at. And what general cost am I looking at if I have a shop do it. I would do it myself but I have no where to do it, no clamps or saws, etc. THANKS YALL

Silver Member
Username: Deathshadow

Post Number: 224
<>_<> One million dollars

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 77
it really depends on the design. it's based on time, and many builders charge $30-50/hr. if you are building a basic rectangle with a hole cut in it, you could get it made for as little as $100 unfinished.

if you have a design with heavy bracing, angles, or other customized details (or if you want carpet applied, terminals installed, etc.), it could easily run above $200.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 433
I usually charge $50 for sealed and $65-$80 for ported depending on he woofer and what the customer wants.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 85
A million huh, thats the same amount of nut stains i left on your pillow.

Everyone else thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2626
Yep. Most (remember, I said MOST) shops are 100-200 range (varies a lot) for boxes, depending a lot on if it is covered with carpet, etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 229
"A million huh, that's the same amount of nut stains I left on your pillow."

Nick you would nut on my pillow and get c*m stains in your undies just standing over me while I slept; f@g. I half expected some 15 year old yo mama' joke after that cunning blatantly phrased pun of yours; but since we are being kids... If I ever caught you trying to play slip and slide with my @ss id suffocate you with my ballsack; feel free to talk to me when your balls drop and your pubes sprout. :-)

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 87
Damien, I'm afraid if you keep up with your idle attempts to offend me with your short list of 'big words' I might have to slap you upside your manhood with a canoe paddle.

Now run along and find yourself a thesaurus for your next condescending reply unless you can offer an estimate on said box.

'nuff said.

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
hahaha, bump'!

Username: Araknid

Post Number: 2
I made my own box for a 12 doesnt sound to good

Username: Araknid

Post Number: 3
but i used a left over bourd from a hurricane we had from a window

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 170
Nick if you do it yourself, takes about 2 to 3 hours if you take your time.

3/4 inch mdf $25
can of 3M spray glue $5
Enough trunk carpet to do the box $10
Silicone for inside of box $4
Glue and screws to put it all together $10

All and all about $50, if this is your first box I would listen to it for about a week before you carpet it. If you don't like it, (the way it sounds, the way it fits, so one) Its only $30 and about 2 more hours to try again.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 171
Note to self (read original post) well for anyone else here is some info on box building.

Bronze Member

Manch, NH US

Post Number: 89
Alrighty then, all help appreciated. Might as well build my own box then huh.

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 272
If you have no saws or clamps what are you gonna do CHEW the wood to make it. You really don't want to run down to WAL MART and by a little table saw to try and make this box right. Spend the 100 to have it made, don't have them carpet it. you can do that yourself. Then it will be made right.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 173
Koz. A basic box takes very few tools to make. Yes it will take you longer, but it is possiable to make with just a jig saw, cordless drill, and a circular saw. You can bye a cordless kit with all 3 and then some from home depo for about 350, and will easly get your money out of it.

Nick, I highly recomend making your own box. Even if you build 4 of them to get it the way you want, you still saved money. Not to mention the extra bragging points, since you built it yourself. If you do decide to build one take your time when it comes to the design. That is the most important part. A well designed box will make a huge diffrence, so don't be afraid to ask us for help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us