JUST GOT 1000W KENWOOD AMP WHAT SUBS??!

Username: Lonewolf2683

Post Number: 1
Well I just got a 1000w kenwood amp and before that had a 600w kenwood. Anyways i got 2 new audiobahns AWC12T and they blew in my 600w yet my MTX 6000 thunder never blew however they would cut off when i turned the sound up to 25.

Anyways i want to know what would be the best speakers to get with my 1000W kenwood amp since i blew 2 audiobahns and don't feel like blowing more speakers unless i get some suitable ones for the amp. Any suggestions pls! Thx.

Bronze Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 40
What is your budget, and what type of sound are you looking for?

Post Number: 2
well I can spend about 300$ for 2 and I know audiobahn is good but for some reason they blew. I listen to music with lots of bass ie. rap/techno.

Im thinking maybe i wired them wrong or something. I know how to install amps and speakers its just the whole "Ohm" thing REALLY confuses me.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 48
Audiobahn isn't good. For 300$ for 2 subs, you could get 2 Adire Shivas (www.adireaudio.com). You need to make sure you wire the amp to the subs correctly and match your ohm loads or you may blow your amp. You may have blown the Audiobahns due to not setting your amp up correctly. (Gain setting?)
Check this out for wiring examples (http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html) Just to give an example, Shivas are 8 ohm DVC (dual voice coil). So, if your amp will support 2 ohms on one channel, check out the example "2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel". If you need more help with ohms, just google it.

Post Number: 3
My mtx 6000's only had one wiring for positive and negative

Post Number: 4
The audiobahn's had 8 wiring terminals in the speakers? why...thats just insane.

Bronze Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 49
The AWC12T's are DVC, that's a total of 4 terminals, not eight. (Two positive, two negative) A speaker with 8 total terminals would be QVC (quad voice coil). You're only going to hook two wires up to your amp, the other wires are going to be hooking your two subs together. That link shows you how you'd hook it up. Depending how you wire the subs THEMSELVES changes your impendance (ohms).

Post Number: 5
Honest to god there are 8 terminals 4 on each side. It don't make any sense. If there were 2 on each side i would understand. Whats ur sn for a messaging service so we could talk?

Post Number: 6
Anyways this is the specs on my amp
Number of Channels 2
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (dB) 100dB
Speaker-Level Inputs Yes
Pre-Amp Level Outputs No
Distortion (THD%) at Rated Power .08%
Gold Plated Terminals Yes
Adjustable Bass Boost Yes
Crossover Range (Hz) Variable 50-200Hz
Fuse Rating (Amps) 30