Is an Alpine HU compatible with sirius?

Michael C.
Unregistered guest
I have a kenwood sirius satelite setup and have been thinking about upgrading from my Kenwood KDC-X679 HU to an Alpine 9835. I've read in your threads that anything over a 4.0v preout is unusable and unneeded. Why is this? The kenwood is a 5.0v output. I guess that is two questions?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5749
Alpines are designed for use with XM radio, not Sirius.
4V preouts ar ideal because most amplifiers don't have input stages that are designed to handle anything more than 4 volts. Using higher voltages on some amps will overdrive the input stage, and cause clipping and distortion, and subsequent speaker damage.
If you have higher end amps designed to handle higher line voltages, you're fine. Heck Eclipse has a unit with 16 volt pre-outs, but few amps are made to handle that.

Michael C.
Unregistered guest
Glasswolf? What amplifier would you recommend? Actually i was hoping for a little advice on audio system recommendations. I have attached a pic of my truck that i recently finished. I am a auto fabricator/painter. I am just recently begining to work on the interior. I am looking to install a high end audio setup aimed more toward SQ rather than SPL. I am only going to use front components and no rear speakers. I am installing the Brahma in a custom sealed enclosed center console. I am looking for a pair of amps; one for fronts and one for Sub. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Money is not a big problem due to the fact that i am doing this over the winter months while the truck is in storage. Thanks Michael
P.S i can't seem to send you the pics due to size. I can email them to you if you would like.

iceNine
Unregistered guest
I just installed an Alpine 9835 with the Sirius Alpine-compatible tuner (as well as an iPod interface)in my WRX and it works great. This Sirius unit has only been available for a month or so.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5777
ah, nice. came out when the iPod module did then.
I just wish the CDA-7990 supported MP3 CDs haha

for amps, www.zapco.com
competition series if you can afford them, reference are good, too though.
if you really want a SQ system, look at zapco's symbilink signal processing, too. (crossovers, EQs, preamp.. the DIN signal path is virtually noiseless.)

Michael C.
Unregistered guest
where did you get the compatible tuner at?

kklagge
Unregistered guest
Icenine----have you had any problems with the 9835 not storing your Sirius presets overnight? I just bought a 9831 with the same Sirius setup and it will only store the presets for a few hours. The clock & AM/FM presets work just fine. I called Alpine and they're looking into the problem. Just wondering if you've experienced any of this?

Username: Gerlin

Post Number: 1
kklagge---I am having exactly the same problem with the Sirius tuner and the 9833!

Icenine---Do you have this problem with 9835?

Post Number: 2
UPDATE---I just got off the phone with Crutchfield and am told the problem is that when starting the car the ignition 12v is temporarily interrupted and that this resets the presets. The solution is to wire a relay to the cars actual ignition wire.

This problem may only occur with certain cars, depending if they interrupt the current during starting.

kklagge
Unregistered guest
Lou is right!! I called Alpine and they told me the same thing. I wired mine straight to the ignition and now it keeps the Sirius presets just fine....only problem is now you can't listen to the stereo when you turn the key "backwards" just when you turn it "forwards" to just before cranking.

I was thinking of wiring it to the ignition and also to the ACC wire out of the factory harness like it was before to see if I can get the best of both worlds...any input on this possible crazy idea would be helpful!!

Post Number: 3
UPDATE---Crutchfield had me hook up a relay so that the red input to the head unit is connected to the normal accessory wire. When I turn the key and activate the ignition circuit. a relay then connects the head unit to constant 12v, so the power does not cut out during the starting process.

However, this has NOT fixed the problem. I still loose my presets. I am sure it is wired correctly, since I can see that the head unit now stays on during starting.

kklagge----if yours was fixed by connecting to the ignition wire, this may work for you.
I'm thinking that maybe my battery voltage drops too much during starting and this confuses the system. I may try hooking mine up like yours and see if it starts to work. Please post back here if your problems reappear.

I'm going for another round of support calls.

kklagge
Unregistered guest
The only thing I've noticed is that it takes a while for the presets to come back if I start the truck BEFORE I put the faceplate on. Putting the faceplate on then starting the truck makes them show up right away.

It may be because you're still wired to the ACC wire that is causing your problem.

Post Number: 4
I found a thread on a different forum (link below) with the same problem and it mentioned the relay solution as well. I think I will see if I get any more info over there and then try the ignition wire only solution.

My problem was not consistent, sometimes I could go a few starts without the problem. I don't know if yours was the same. How long has it been working now (or how many times have you tried to break it)? Is it safe to assume that you have tested it enough to have a pretty good feeling that it is really fixed?

I also see this bahavior (as I posted in the other forum):

"One other thing I notice, (this happens when the presets are still remembered during a engine stop/start cycle) that still happens with the new wiring is that when I program all three bands of presets, turn the car off and back on the Sirius radio comes back to the channel I left it on, however if I push the Band button, it always comes on with "32 Prime Country". In this case the presets are still there and work fine. This occurs when I switch to the next band as well. Once I have push a preset on each band, I can cycle through them fine until the car is stopped and started again."

Do you see this as well?

Thanks for your feedback, and again let me know if your problems come back.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249844&st=0&#entry4738618

kklagge
Unregistered guest
Yes that is exactly what mine is doing (the channel 32 thing when I start the truck). I've had the presets staying firm for a solid week now (probably through about 20-25 starts or so) and haven't had any other problems at all.

Anonymous

To all, Please read your Siruis Apl 1 install instructions, The Alp 1 tuner gets wired DIRECTLY to the battery. I called Directed E and thats what they said to do...

Post Number: 5
You are correct, the ALP-SR1 gets wired directly to the battery. However that is not the issue we have benn having.

Even with the ALP-SR1 directly wired, it is the head unit wiring that causes the memory loss.

The latest advice I got from Alpine was to wire both the ignition wire and the accessory feed to the head units accessory input (red wire). When doing this you must wire a 3A diode in line with each wire (iginition and accessory), negative side of the diode wired to the head unit.

This allows both the ignition circuit and the accessory circuit to feed the head unit without the accessory circuit passing power to the ignition circuit and vice versa.

The issue, with some cars, is that when starting the car, the accessory power is interupted from the head unit. I can not explain why this disruption causes a problem (since it is disrupted every time you take your key out anyway), though since changing the wiring I have not had a problem, though it has probably only been about 10 starts over 5 days.

Ryan MaGoo
Unregistered guest
I have a 2003 IS300 and I wired everything properly with the head unit, ran a DIRECT power line to the battery for the ALP-SIR1 and connected appropriate wires, and I get none of the problems discussed here.

The head unit DOES NOT store the presets...I know this for a fact because when I took the head unit completely out, leaving the Sirius tuner in, all stations were saved to the Sirius unit after reinstalling the Alpine head unit (CDA-9835). As far as I understand, the internal electronics of the 9835 & 9833 are identical, so there should be no issues.

Ryan MaGoo
Unregistered guest
The only issue I have is that whenever I reset the 9835 through the manual button, it will display Sirius whenever I switch the source. Whenever I enter any type of menu whatsoever, the unit all of a sudden displays "XM" instead of "Sirius" no big deal I guess.

Bivaldi
Unregistered guest
Lou -- can you tell me if your approach with the diodes also eliminated your "Channel 32" problem? That is the only annoyance I am experiencining despite following all the wiring instructions....

Bronze Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 23
I just got my SIR-ALP1 replaced (new ones don't have the power dropout problem that results in it losing your presets. The channel 32 thing is something I haven't talked to Alpine about yet but is a lot less bothersome than losing my presets every morning was (my guess is it may be the HU that does that since the presets are actually stored in the SIR-ALP1 and not the HU).

Post Number: 6
Bivaldi -- No the diode do not fix the "Channel 32" problem. Also... The diodes helped by preset problem, but did not fix it. I have lost the presets twice since the mod.

kklagge -- How did you get your unit replaced? I have had no luck even communicating with "Directed Electronics" who I think is the manufacturer. I did get a replacement early on from Crutchfield, though the new one had the same problem. Do you know at what serial number the "fixed" ones start? Was Alpine or your dealer the one that said there was a "updated" version? Any details are appreciated.

Lou

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Directed Electronics is only the distributor of the SIR-ALP1 (contacted them also). I bought mine through Crutchfield and explained the problem to them (which they were aware of) and they swapped the unit out for me with no questions asked. Crutchfield has the new ones now (I tried but couldn't find out what serial number the fixed ones start with as I never have found out who actually made the SIR-ALP1). I would contact Crutchfield again and tell them your dilemna.

Bivaldi
Unregistered guest
Thanks guys. I guess that I'll just live with that for now, am thinking that this is also a HU issues as well rather than with the ALP1. (I am running a 9835 which I love everything else about).

If the 2005 Alpines come out and support the full Sirius text (more than 16 characters or artist/title info) then hopefully Channel 32 would also be fixed and I'll think about an upgrade at a reasonable cost.

By the way, I read on another board that if your ALP1 has a blue dot on the back of it, it means that it has been verified as a new model that will not suffer from the loss of presets bug. Just looked at mine and it has this blue dot, not sure if yours is mounted in a place where you can look at it, Lou, but might want to check. If it doesn't, I'd definitely ask for a new tuner.

B

Post Number: 7
Thanks for the updates. I was just about to give up on this and live with the problem.

I just got off the phone with Crutchfield. They said they are aware of the "blue stickers", though only from the forums on the net, nothing official from Alpine or whoever it is that actualy makes the SIR-ALP1.

They said that they do not know which serial numbers are fixed and think that it is likely that they still have some of the older versions as well. The tech is going to have the warehouse send him replacement units until he gets one with the blue sticker, and then send it on to me.

Crutchfield's service is hard to beat. They already sent me replacement unit back in November, a new head unit and a relay in attempts to resolve this. I'm glad I decided not save a few bucks on my system.

If, when I bought the system, there was no preset problem, I probably would be upset about the channel 32 thing, though now, if the presets get fixed, I'll just be happy with that!

Lou

wrxhitman
Unregistered guest
quick question because im a noob. would the sir-alp1 not work if the yellow power wire was connected to the same yellow power wire from the hu itself? does it really need its own line to the battery?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
I have mine wired to the yellow from the HU, which is wired to constant power from the factory harness and mine works just fine.

Username: Balboaion

El paso, Tx Us

Post Number: 1
hello, i'm having the same issue with the presets on the alpine with the sirius tuner. my parents got it for me from circuit city. they installed it for me and comes with a warranty. should i have them replace the tuner? its really annoying not being able to save my favorite stations.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
I would explain the problem to them and tell them you want a new tuner (make sure they have some newer ones and don't replace it with an old one they have in stock)

Username: Balboaion

El paso, Tx Us

Post Number: 2
do you think that is all it needs? just to be replaced with a new one? should i ask them how they ran the power connector?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
I would just try to get it replaced. It's a pain when you have to wire it directly to the ignition because you can't listen to the stereo in the ACC position.

Rob Vdk
Unregistered guest
Hey I am experiencing the problem you guys are talking about too, i got the 9833 and have the +12 wired directly to the batt off the new wire i ran from the batt for the HU. (10 AWG) I have the accessory wire on the HU hooked up to the factory harness as usual but still lose my presets. What gives? I got the reciever with the blue dot as you guys talked about earlier but it still drops them. You mentioned hooking up to the ignition with a relay. Does that procedure work? Do I have the unit hooked up incorrectly?

Unregistered guest
Been reading in hopes of finding someone with a similer problem. I have my sir-alp1 hooked up as directed. I know have a draw on my bat. Its enough to kill the bat over night. diconect the sir-alp1 tuner and the draw is gone. What gives? The hu is an alpine cda-9833.

Unregistered guest
Been reading in hopes of finding someone with a similer problem. I have my sir-alp1 hooked up as directed. I know have a draw on my bat. Its enough to kill the bat over night. diconect the sir-alp1 tuner and the draw is gone. What gives? The hu is an alpine cda-9833.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
You need a new battery!! I have my sir-alp1 hooked into the HU (not directly to the battery) and I've not started the car for days then never have a problem firing it back up.

Glenn M
Unregistered guest
I've had the same Sirius probs with my new CDA-9851 in a '01 Grand Prix. Actually I've had multiple problems, first the presets kept going away, as described above, then it quit recognizing Sirius all together. The techs at the installers determined it to be a bad head unit and replaced it, but obviously this hasn't stopped the presets from disappearing since that is stored in the Sirius tuner. After reading this I grilled them on it and they weren't too keen on wiring it differently than described in the Alpine wiring diagram and told me that the Sirius tuner is made by TERK so they weren't surprised that it wasn't working right. Don't know if it's true or not but I'm having the whole system yanked out and putting the factory system back in. I don't think I'll by buying anything Alpine for a LOOOOONG time.

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
The SIR-ALP1 is not made by Terk it's made by Directed Electronics...it sounds to me like you still have an older SIR-ALP! that has the power drop problem described above...get a newer model and wire it to the factory harness (power & ground) and you shouldn't have the problem anymore.

Unregistered guest
Did anyone ever figure out the storing presets prob with a Alpine 9831 and the Sirius tuner. I have the same prob and i have went through 2 tuners and it still does it? What the hell is going on
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us