Installing a Capacitor

Username: Dubz02

Post Number: 1
I've just started upgrading my car's audio system a few weeks ago and I need some advice and info on how and what I need to install a capacitor.
I don't know much about capacitors except for what they are used for. I have a capacitor 1 farad but I dont know what wires or connections i need to get it installed. I have a 2 channel audiobahn amp pusing a 12" infinity reference sub at 200w rms and I'm getting another 4 channel audiobahn amp(A1004DP)installed pushing 4 6x9 infinity references at 100w x 4 rms.
I scoped out a few places and it seems that Best buy has the best price on installation. The sales guy told me to bring the stuff in and they'll install it. but the capacitor i bought doesn't look like it has any wires, it just says hardware and mounting bracket included.

What do i need to get this cap installed i have the amps and amp kits ready and capacitor with a distribution block

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5705
the installer will know how to charge and install the capacitor.
if you don't know what you're doing with one, let a pro handle it, please. you can severely injure yourself with a capacitor that large if you don't know how to handle it properly.
it has everything you need to install it already, between the cap and the amp wiring kit.

Username: Dubz02

Post Number: 2
thanks...exactly what i wanted to know

Bronze Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 15
Allen...i want 2 add 2 what glasswolf said...ive got shocked by a small camera capacitor...there about this long _____ and it hurt bad and i was dizzy 4 like 5 seconds

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5722
the thing about these big 20V 1Fd caps is that if you have one that's charged, and you accidentally discharge it with a dead short, or wire it backward and reverse the polarity, even though the cap has a pressure release plate that'll blow out, that discharge can be rather percussive, and the resulting sudden pressure relief from the capacitor could pretty much damage or take off the hand you're holding that cap in, or cause severe hearing damage in such a confined space as a car.. yoou could also cause loss of sight if you're not wearing eye protection.
granted if you're careful this doesn't happen, but the possibility is there, and if you don't have a solid basic understanding of capacitance and electrical wiring, you could end up hurting yourself, as with anything electrical.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us