Advice: Studio Quality

Username: J1110

Post Number: 8
Is there anybody from California that has recorded at the Music Grinder Studios in Hollywood- studio B? Is there anybody that has recorded or been to a professional studio?
My question is whether or not it is possible to recreate a similar surround environment in a car.
If so which gear would be the most optimal for this purpose?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5719
generally, audio is best in a 2.0 environment.
multi-channel is best suited to DVD and movies.
If you want a 5.1 system, look at using an in-car DVD, with 6 channels of amplification.
you'll only get discrete 5.1 from DVD or DVD-A though

Post Number: 9
Glasswolf-
I have a pair of sony MDR7506 and Technics RP-DJ1200. I like the flat response of the 7506's but what I also like is the way the stage is organized with the rp-dj1200. What would be the best way to go about setting a similar type of stage in a car? Is it possible? Should I have to worry about noise cancellation?

Post Number: 10
BTW for 5.1 purposes

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5729
I'm more of an audio purist myself. I don't have much use for in car video and 5.1, but if you're after that end, look at eclipse, alpine, or pioneer premier for a DVD head unit. then go with a 4 channel amp for components, separate amp for subs, use separates in front, coaxials in back, and stick to smaller subs like 8" or 10" for tight, responsive bass.

Personally for flat response at home, I use Krell class A amplifiers and KEF Reference 104/2 mains, and Martin Logan Odessey mains.
the KEFs are a flat 4 ohm resistive load across teh audible spectrum, and the Martin Logan ESLs are well known for their flat, natural response and life-like feel. Unfortunately ESL technology isn't really suited to use in a car.
cancellation won't be an issue in a car if you position drivers properly, and be dilligent and conservative with use of crossovers and equalization. My main rule of thumb in car audio is "KISS"
Keep it simple, stupid. the more you complicate the signal path, the more you ask for trouble.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thanks for your advice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us