Grounding problems!!

Unregistered guest
Hi there, i have a peugeot 306 with a 800w amp 2X400 and 2 10" subs. When i wire the amp up as usuall i get bass but its a lot of air and not really heard apart from when your heads in the boot. Whilst fiddling around one day i realised that when i touched any of the speaker outputs to the outer casing (with a screwdriver, purley accidental) the bass sounded the B****ks. Then i'd remove the screwdriver it sounded dismal again! Ive chatted to loads of people and its been suggested that its a major grouding issue. So out came the metal file and i removed all the paint around the grouding point. No change? So the next option was to buy some phat 8awg cable and run it straight from the (-) battery terminal to the amp.. STILL NO CHANGE? Any one with any suggestions? Its looking possible that the amp might be faulty. But i got it on the cheap from where i work as it was a discontinued item, so a refund or exchange isn't really my idea.. UNLESS I HAVE TO!

Help2
Unregistered guest
Running a wire from the negative terminal
is only making things worse.
the ground cable should be no longer than 18"
Are the numbers your listing RMS or peak?
running 8 gauge wire to an 800watt amp is
a really bad idea.
needs to be at least 4 gauge, both the +
lead on the amp, and the ground wire.
"youre only as strong as your weakest link"
as they say...
try that out.

Unregistered guest
The problem with 4awg is that it doesnt fit in the terminal on the amp. Although it was a strugle getting an 8awg. At the moment the power runs down the middle of the car. The ground goes to a middle seatbelt bolt which is about 15" long. Its just weird that i only get pukka bass when i literally short the amp! any other solutions is it possible that the amp is faulty.

One other thing is the head unit has no RCA outputs so what i have done is used a device that changes the wires to RCA outputs. Im litterally about to go and see if a different head unit solves it!

Andrew2000
Unregistered guest
Well per my last experiment the amp works better with a head unit with RCA outputs. but no CD!!!! :-( I didn't think there was any problem with my wiring. so now all ive got to do is buy a head unit with CD and RCA outputs! Thanks help2 for your help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us