JL Audio XR or Infinity Kappas?

Brian Hunter
Unregistered guest
I have a 2 door 94 Celica ST with 6.5 in front & back mounted on the doors & on the sides in the back. I'm thinking of getting the XR component system (tweeters, 4in high-mids & 6.5in low-mids) or Infinity Kappas (KAPPA60.5CS = tweeters & 6.5's only in the front). Please help me, my stock speakers are blown out. 8(

Brian Hunter
Unregistered guest
Sorry I meant Infinity Kappa Perfects, tweeters & 6.5's only in front.

Bronze Member
Username: Blownriv

OH USA

Post Number: 54
both are great sounding speakers. i've used the XRs before - very flat response, and i think you'd get stronger midbass out of them. i haven't listened to the perfects, but i have heard the older kappa series (emerald cones), and they seemed bit weak below 150Hz.

also, both systems use metal dome tweeters, so you're going to get bright and extended treble out of either one. i got rid of my XRs for this reason. i like a slightly softer response up towards 15k-20k Hz, so i went with a soft cloth dome instead. but it's totally up to you and what sounds good to your ears.

Brian Hunter
Unregistered guest
What soft cloth domes did u use? Was it part a a component set? Brand/make?

Brian Hunter
Unregistered guest
If i balenced the speakers by having Infinity Kappa Perfect tweeter & 6.5's in front, 3 way's in back & 2 dual coil 10's in trunk, how well do u think it'd work? Please hurry, I... can't..... stand... blown-out... speakers.......

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 60
my components are SAS (aka bazooka) euphonic 525Rs. they use silk domes and are a discontinued model from around '93. i don't normally buy SAS products, but they really hit the mark with the euphonics. at the time they came out, they were one of the best component systems you could buy. you can't really find them any more to buy, but click on my username to see them at my cardomain site.

JL's VR series uses a soft silk dome along with the same mid/woofer the XR uses, and a few people i've talked to say they like them more than the XRs (plus they are a little less). the XRs are better for competition, but the VRs sound better to some people's ears for listening to music. if you like your treble a little less bright, a soft dome system could work for you. if you like things extra crisp, the hard domes seem to work better.

re: your set-up plan, i'd loose the 3-ways in the back. they aren't going to help things any (unless you want the back seat riders to have it louder). my advice is to use the stock rears or no rears at all and save yourself some cash. using 2 tens in the trunk sounds fine, but you could use a single ten or twelve of better quality and still have plenty of bass.

good luck, i know it sucks to have blown speakers.

Brian Hunter
Unregistered guest
You love systems like I do, natural sounding. I enjoy a realistic crispness thats not overexaggerated. From what your saying and what I know, the silk tweeters sound like the one for me. The next step is to shop around for component systems, any help on where to find great compenent setup with silk tweeters?

Bronze Member

OH USA

Post Number: 69
just keep in mind that there's more to a component system than tweeter material. just because a system uses a soft dome doesn't mean it will sound good. you still need a good mid and a good crossover to tie everything together.

look into dropping near $300 into a nice component set. check out the JL VRs, and i think focal and diamond audio make some systems with soft domes. ebay is a good place to start.

one thing i like to do is look up reviews of product in magazines or online. even without listening to the speakers, you often get a subjective analysis from the reviewer and a response graph for reference. also, visit a local shop and ask to hear a comparison. go to more than one shop and take notes to see if the sonic differences are worth paying for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us